/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!
Posted By: Me_43Date: 2/27/05 11:39 p.m.

In Response To: You get what you pay for (Steve Levinson)

Honestly do not know what I was doing not reading this thread... this is a topic that comes up quite often, so, you know, well, even if you don't I'm not going to explain. Aaanyway...

: With all due respect to Forrest, it sounds like you are requesting things
: that have already been demonstrated to be feasible in AO. Forrest is
: right - if you want Marathon to look modern, it should be ported to a
: modern engine - creating a new engine from scratch is still an effort in
: futility, E0 not withstanding.

No, no and no. E0 was my SECOND OpenGL project. It's still largely composed of code I wrote in year 8 (Composed in the same way your body is composed of the same cells as when you were born... every part has been at some time replaced, but the basic structure is still exactly the same). Writing an engine is NOT hard... look at me! I'm still in high school! I had to teach myself every single skill needed to write it. My software class is still fucking around with TurboPascal. >8(

I'm sick of seeing these threads again and again with little mention of E0! Hell! Can you people appreciate the amount of work that's gone into it?!?! Two and a half years of my spare time, damn it! ... (sigh) [/rant] sorry for losing it, but it's really, really frustrating. Oh, and you'd be able to sell E0 media, because it's not in a Bungie copyright format, even if the app is open source.

Umm, it's closer to completion that you think. Maybe I should apply for a site under bungie.org.

: The bottom line is that AO is open source and strictly the work of a very
: limited number of developers who do this in their spare time as a hobby.
: It's a lot of work and a labor of love, but you're not going to see much
: beyond what has already been done. It's been - what - nearly a year since
: Mark Levin submitted his code for a bunch of bug fixes and enhancements
: that still haven't made it into the main build of AO. What you ask for
: is not unreasonable. The balconies and bridges code has not only been
: demonstrated, but implemented. It really rocked, but it was one man's
: dream and he had to give up on it when it became all consuming of his
: time. He still has a website devoted to the code - at least he did last
: time I checked - complete with instructions on how to implement it and
: what remains to be done to make it fully functional. His code also
: included software rendering of high-res and transparent textures for older
: machines that didn't support OpenGL. It was the only version of AO I could
: use on my old Beige G3 way back when.

: If you really care about this stuff, the only way you're going to see it
: happen is if you make it happen yourself. If you can program, write the
: code yourself. If not, try to hook your friends on Marathon and make it a
: team effort. Hell yes, I'd like to see B&B code make it to the main AO
: build, but I'm way too old and invested in real life to take this on
: myself - we need people who don't already have major life priorities to
: work on this. Oh, and jumping is already supported in AO. It's part of the
: cheat codes, but you can easily modify this in mml to assign a single key
: to provide jumping action. 3D objects are also already supported - what's
: missing there is content - creating 3D models is a major job in and of
: itself.

Not at all. The awesome M has had fully textured and animated models available for a considerable time.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I get jealous when I see other...Nicholai 2/22/05 8:41 p.m.
     Re: I get jealous when I see other...Forrest of B.org 2/22/05 9:32 p.m.
           Re: I get jealous when I see other...TwelveMotion 2/23/05 1:25 a.m.
                 Re: I get jealous when I see other...Jorge 2/23/05 5:43 a.m.
                       I've said it before and I'll say it again...Anaphiel 2/23/05 6:40 a.m.
                             And as a brief followup...Anaphiel 2/23/05 6:49 a.m.
                                   Re: And as a brief followup...Jorge 2/23/05 9:49 a.m.
                                   Re: And as a brief followup...Little Kago 2/23/05 1:18 p.m.
                                         Re: And as a brief followup...Anaphiel 2/23/05 2:03 p.m.
                                               Re: And as a brief followup...luke9 2/23/05 6:02 p.m.
                             Re: I've said it before and I'll say it again...Malakite 2/23/05 2:50 p.m.
     You get what you pay forSteve Levinson 2/23/05 5:06 a.m.
           Re: You get what you pay forTyler 2/23/05 2:34 p.m.
                 Re: You get what you pay for, ForrestNicholai 2/23/05 6:45 p.m.
                       Re: Sorry about the spelling and grammar mistakes *NM*Nicholai 2/23/05 6:52 p.m.
                       Re: You get what you pay for, Forrestrampancy 2/23/05 7:06 p.m.
                             Re: You get what you pay for, ForrestForrest of B.org 2/23/05 8:20 p.m.
                                   Re: You get what you pay for, Forrestrampancy 2/24/05 2:58 a.m.
                             Re: You get what you pay for, ForrestNicholai 2/23/05 8:29 p.m.
                 Re: You get what you pay forrampancy 2/23/05 7:11 p.m.
                       Re: You get what you pay forJorge 2/24/05 5:13 a.m.
                             Just tell me, why don't improve?Nicholai 2/24/05 12:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Just tell me, why don't improve?Forrest of B.org 2/24/05 12:54 p.m.
                                         You win this discution...Nicholai 2/24/05 1:03 p.m.
                                               Re: You win this discution...Jorge 2/24/05 4:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: You win this discution...Nicholai 2/24/05 4:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: You win this discution...Forrest of B.org 2/24/05 5:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: You win this discution...Andromeda_5[Kilo] 2/24/05 5:05 p.m.
                                                                       Re: You win this discution...Adam Ashwell 2/24/05 5:43 p.m.
                                                                             back to topicukimalefu 2/24/05 6:29 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: back to topicSimon of team Sigma 2/25/05 3:51 a.m.
                                                                             Re: You win this discution...tcm 2/24/05 7:42 p.m.
                                                                       Re: You win this discution...Jorge 2/25/05 4:04 a.m.
                                                                       Re: You win this discution...D-M.A. 2/27/05 2:08 a.m.
           Quick question...Siphonopho 2/24/05 8:09 p.m.
                 Re: Quick question...Steve Levinson 2/25/05 5:07 a.m.
                       Re: Quick question...Nicholai 2/25/05 12:06 p.m.
                             Re: Quick question...Forrest of B.org 2/25/05 4:55 p.m.
                                   Re: Quick question...Adam Ashwell 2/25/05 5:18 p.m.
                                         Re: Quick question...Nicholai 2/25/05 7:38 p.m.
                                               Quick question... how hard woul it be to add theNicholai 2/25/05 7:54 p.m.
                                               Re: Quick question...D-M.A. 2/27/05 2:18 a.m.
                                                     Re: Quick question...Speaker-To-Animals 2/27/05 9:50 a.m.
                                                           Re: Quick question...D-M.A. 2/28/05 12:00 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Quick question...Speaker-To-Animals 2/28/05 8:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Quick question...goran 2/26/05 12:54 a.m.
           Re: You get what you pay forSpeaker-To-Animals 2/27/05 9:27 a.m.
                 Re: You get what you pay forthermoplyae 2/27/05 4:14 p.m.
           Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Me_43 2/27/05 11:39 p.m.
                 Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Steve Levinson 2/28/05 5:15 a.m.
                       Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Me_43 2/28/05 10:39 p.m.
                             hey where can I see this E0...Nicholai 3/1/05 1:53 p.m.
                                   Re: hey where can I see this E0...Me_43 3/1/05 10:23 p.m.
                             Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Steve Levinson 3/1/05 9:10 p.m.
                                   Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!luke9 3/1/05 9:19 p.m.
     Re: I get jealous when I see other...thermoplyae 2/27/05 4:13 p.m.
     Re: I get jealous when I see other...tcm 2/28/05 7:13 a.m.
           Re: I get jealous when I see other...Nicholai 3/1/05 1:48 p.m.
                 Re: I get jealous when I see other...tcm 3/2/05 9:49 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.