/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: You get what you pay for, Forrest
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 2/23/05 8:20 p.m.

In Response To: Re: You get what you pay for, Forrest (rampancy)

: From what I now remember on alt.games.marathon the main problem was the devs'
: attitude - a really huge divide started between programmers like Loren
: Petrich and the devs and the scenario designers like Borzz. The designers
: wanted features like better monster AI/pathfinding and a lifting of the
: limitation polygon counts, among other features. While I know that the
: latter was done, not much was done about the former. And people took up
: the (quite adversarial) attitude of "Well, if you want us to add
: feature X, why don't you download the source and do it yourself?"

The split that I remember was really much more along the lines of what I was arguing. Some people were just calling for "make Marathon cleaner" - remove the limitations (poly count, viewing distance), link it to new technologies (OpenGL, TCP/IP), and allow recoding of the arbitrary parts (by implementing them in MML instead). There was a good bunch of people back then saying "just give us TCP/IP and OpenGL, implement everything in MML, remove the limits, make it stable, port it everywhere, and call it done." I was one of them.

Then there's the camp of folks who added stuff like the follow-cam (I remember that was a big controversy... "wtf are you wasting time on that for? TCP/IP still isn't working!!!"), and B&B, and other features beyond the scope of the original Marathon. There were some folk who, as you were saying, called for an improvement to the AI, and that was its own controversy, which centered on whether it was worth doing something that would break the behavior of everything made before it, so that things made after might be cooler.

Basically what it all comes down to is "Aleph should do what Marathon did, but better, so we can continue to enjoy Marathon in even greater glory!" versus "Aleph should do what Marathon did, and more, so we can make fancy new stuff with our new toys!" Honestly, I think it would be best for both sides to fork the project: keep one branch as just pure Marathon goodness, without the extra crap, but polished up for the 21st century; and let the other branch grow off into its own engine, no longer Marathon, no longer concerned with backwards compatability, just to be a nifty new engine project for people making scenarios to use.

: Has someone here or a b.org actually asked someone at Bungie for this? It
: seems odd that they didn't do this back when the Marathon source was
: released.

The code for Forge and Anvil is in the same place the code to M2Win95 is - sleeping with the fishes.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I get jealous when I see other...Nicholai 2/22/05 8:41 p.m.
     Re: I get jealous when I see other...Forrest of B.org 2/22/05 9:32 p.m.
           Re: I get jealous when I see other...TwelveMotion 2/23/05 1:25 a.m.
                 Re: I get jealous when I see other...Jorge 2/23/05 5:43 a.m.
                       I've said it before and I'll say it again...Anaphiel 2/23/05 6:40 a.m.
                             And as a brief followup...Anaphiel 2/23/05 6:49 a.m.
                                   Re: And as a brief followup...Jorge 2/23/05 9:49 a.m.
                                   Re: And as a brief followup...Little Kago 2/23/05 1:18 p.m.
                                         Re: And as a brief followup...Anaphiel 2/23/05 2:03 p.m.
                                               Re: And as a brief followup...luke9 2/23/05 6:02 p.m.
                             Re: I've said it before and I'll say it again...Malakite 2/23/05 2:50 p.m.
     You get what you pay forSteve Levinson 2/23/05 5:06 a.m.
           Re: You get what you pay forTyler 2/23/05 2:34 p.m.
                 Re: You get what you pay for, ForrestNicholai 2/23/05 6:45 p.m.
                       Re: Sorry about the spelling and grammar mistakes *NM*Nicholai 2/23/05 6:52 p.m.
                       Re: You get what you pay for, Forrestrampancy 2/23/05 7:06 p.m.
                             Re: You get what you pay for, ForrestForrest of B.org 2/23/05 8:20 p.m.
                                   Re: You get what you pay for, Forrestrampancy 2/24/05 2:58 a.m.
                             Re: You get what you pay for, ForrestNicholai 2/23/05 8:29 p.m.
                 Re: You get what you pay forrampancy 2/23/05 7:11 p.m.
                       Re: You get what you pay forJorge 2/24/05 5:13 a.m.
                             Just tell me, why don't improve?Nicholai 2/24/05 12:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Just tell me, why don't improve?Forrest of B.org 2/24/05 12:54 p.m.
                                         You win this discution...Nicholai 2/24/05 1:03 p.m.
                                               Re: You win this discution...Jorge 2/24/05 4:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: You win this discution...Nicholai 2/24/05 4:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: You win this discution...Forrest of B.org 2/24/05 5:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: You win this discution...Andromeda_5[Kilo] 2/24/05 5:05 p.m.
                                                                       Re: You win this discution...Adam Ashwell 2/24/05 5:43 p.m.
                                                                             back to topicukimalefu 2/24/05 6:29 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: back to topicSimon of team Sigma 2/25/05 3:51 a.m.
                                                                             Re: You win this discution...tcm 2/24/05 7:42 p.m.
                                                                       Re: You win this discution...Jorge 2/25/05 4:04 a.m.
                                                                       Re: You win this discution...D-M.A. 2/27/05 2:08 a.m.
           Quick question...Siphonopho 2/24/05 8:09 p.m.
                 Re: Quick question...Steve Levinson 2/25/05 5:07 a.m.
                       Re: Quick question...Nicholai 2/25/05 12:06 p.m.
                             Re: Quick question...Forrest of B.org 2/25/05 4:55 p.m.
                                   Re: Quick question...Adam Ashwell 2/25/05 5:18 p.m.
                                         Re: Quick question...Nicholai 2/25/05 7:38 p.m.
                                               Quick question... how hard woul it be to add theNicholai 2/25/05 7:54 p.m.
                                               Re: Quick question...D-M.A. 2/27/05 2:18 a.m.
                                                     Re: Quick question...Speaker-To-Animals 2/27/05 9:50 a.m.
                                                           Re: Quick question...D-M.A. 2/28/05 12:00 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Quick question...Speaker-To-Animals 2/28/05 8:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Quick question...goran 2/26/05 12:54 a.m.
           Re: You get what you pay forSpeaker-To-Animals 2/27/05 9:27 a.m.
                 Re: You get what you pay forthermoplyae 2/27/05 4:14 p.m.
           Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Me_43 2/27/05 11:39 p.m.
                 Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Steve Levinson 2/28/05 5:15 a.m.
                       Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Me_43 2/28/05 10:39 p.m.
                             hey where can I see this E0...Nicholai 3/1/05 1:53 p.m.
                                   Re: hey where can I see this E0...Me_43 3/1/05 10:23 p.m.
                             Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Steve Levinson 3/1/05 9:10 p.m.
                                   Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!luke9 3/1/05 9:19 p.m.
     Re: I get jealous when I see other...thermoplyae 2/27/05 4:13 p.m.
     Re: I get jealous when I see other...tcm 2/28/05 7:13 a.m.
           Re: I get jealous when I see other...Nicholai 3/1/05 1:48 p.m.
                 Re: I get jealous when I see other...tcm 3/2/05 9:49 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.