/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The Best
Posted By: D-M.A.Date: 3/18/04 2:03 a.m.

In Response To: RE: The First Marathon Is The Best (deathmonger)

I agree with most said in this post. Also, Arrival is my favourite level in any of the Marathon games. It was the first level I played and I had never played anything quite like it before. It was creepy and very scary and the whole Marathon felt very spooky, dark and lonely. The only other human I could find was an engineer Bob hiding in a small secret compartment, and if you let him out he was running around in total panic. It felt like something very evil was taking place and an eerie sense of hopelessness was all around you. I didn't buy the first Marathon though, so I actually played M2 and Infinity before playing M1. I just played the M1 demo around 200 times instead (probably more).

When I finally got the chance to play the whole M1 I must say I was disappointed though. The Pfhor fighters look best in M1 in my opinion. But most of the other enemies look rather childish. The Wasps look dorky, but most dorky are those weird brown little critters, which look like turds with insect legs. Most of the level in M1 look rather primitive too after playing Infinity, and rather dull. Also the lack of ambient sounds just make everything too silent and makes everything feel artificial.

To sum it up, I don't think M1 is the best game of the three, but I don't have any favourite. They are all darn good, and quite different, but I just thought I'd mention some of the less good parts of M1. M1 has the best feel to it though, that I can agree with.

: Damn it, every time I get to one of these cool discussions, everyone has
: already said everything I would want to say. But whatever.

: However, I will say this. The first marathon is the only game I've played
: were I've actually had to take a break from playing because my keyboard
: was getting so incredibly soaked with sweat that my fingers kept slipping
: off the keys. I distinctly remember staying up long nights playing
: marathon; the next morning, I would have to nearly pry myself out of my
: chair with a crow-bar because all my sweating would glue my skin to it.

: That said, marathon gave me a real since of terror and hopelessness. In
: marathon, I was a lonely security guard just trying to stay alive long
: enough to save my ship. In marathon, I wondered if I would ever live to
: see the light of day, wondered if I would ever get of this god-forsaken
: ship. I walked those lonely corridors with a real since of mortality

: On the other hand, in M2 and MI I felt more like a rambo, wading through a
: sea of helpless enemies . Sure, the fighting was rough at times, but I was
: certain to come up on top.

: That said, to me, marathon felt like a creeping game, walking slowly and
: cautiously along darkened bulkheads and broken machinery, uncertain of
: your fate. M2 and MI felt like a huge slugfest: get sent somewhere by
: somebody, kill everything that moved, repeat. Like your own privet
: thermopoly.

: Of curse non of this is to say that I like one of them over the others, I had
: a blast playing all of them, and each game has its own strengths and
: weakness. I did'nt even cover things like story of graphics, just the
: basic mood i get when playing. So yeah, I don't really prefer one game in
: the trilogy over the other, just whichever one I feel like playing, I play
: it. And at the moment, I feel like playing the original.

: ^If any of the above made any since to anybody, please congratulate yourself
: for being able to decipher my broken thought patterns and ramblings^

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Re: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/16/04 5:29 p.m.
     Re: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/16/04 11:01 p.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestKirk 3/17/04 1:44 a.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/17/04 12:45 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 4:57 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/17/04 2:04 p.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 2:13 p.m.
                                   Re: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/17/04 10:10 p.m.
                                         From Catch-22, right? *NM*the Battle Cat 3/18/04 6:58 a.m.
                                               catch what now? *NM*Yossarian 3/18/04 7:55 a.m.
                                                     catch what now?Elliott 3/18/04 12:33 p.m.
                                                           Who shot who in the what now? *NM*Mark Levin 3/18/04 1:51 p.m.
                                                                 So sorry.Elliott 3/18/04 2:27 p.m.
                                                     I'm not in at the moment. *NM*Major Major. 3/19/04 12:01 a.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 12:50 p.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/17/04 12:53 p.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 1:30 p.m.
     Re: The First Marathon Is The Bestmattschenk 3/17/04 11:19 a.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestIrritated 3/17/04 2:23 p.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 3:55 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The Bestthe Battle Cat 3/18/04 7:14 a.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 10:49 a.m.
                                   Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/18/04 11:50 a.m.
                             Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lol *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 6:01 p.m.
                                   Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolthe Battle Cat 3/19/04 7:15 a.m.
                                         Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 11:18 a.m.
                                               Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolTodd. 3/19/04 4:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:25 p.m.
     RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestdeathmonger 3/17/04 4:57 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:02 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/17/04 7:24 p.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:11 a.m.
                       Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 4:31 a.m.
                             Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/18/04 7:14 a.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/18/04 11:33 a.m.
                                         Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/18/04 12:38 p.m.
                                         Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/18/04 12:58 p.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 5:59 p.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestthe Battle Cat 3/19/04 7:41 a.m.
                                         *Wheezes through the Battle Cat's entire message* *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/19/04 8:19 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 2:03 a.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:04 a.m.
                       Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 4:26 a.m.
                             Very well, then. ;) *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:28 a.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestdeathmonger 3/18/04 4:47 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.