/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The First Marathon Is The Best
Posted By: Starship Security OfficerDate: 3/16/04 5:29 p.m.

: I can't believe how bungie screwed the new Marathon games up.

Hey, I know that this is an old thread, it's already been debated about a lot and that Neoptolemus (hopefully) doesn't post here anymore, but I would like to put my input on this.

Now, while i've started to learn to like M2, I agree with Neoptolemus that M1 is the best. For one, I kind of like the environment better in M1, although that's just my opinion. I've played all of the Marathon Trilogy plus Rubicon and I must say that there is, in my opinion, a more intriguing emotion in M1 than any of it's sequels, even though the sequels seem to have more overall AI dialogue and some prophecy stuff, although that is kind of given away, unlike Marathon which seemed to maintain mystery and always had you thinking what was going on, and what truth there could be behind all of this, blah blah blah. I pretty much think that the plot in M1 was just as good as M2's and MR's, although MI's could've definately used some improvement, but, well... The emotion in M2, MI and MR, in my opinion, was very lacking. I think that Bungie has definately forgotten what M1 has offered that the others haven't, or maybe it's just me who thinks that. Dunno.

I love ambient sounds, but I hate those stupid ambient sounds in M1's sequels. It's almost as lame as listening to quiet static on your computer except for the sounds of water and I don't think it's very realistic at all. I much prefer the background music, and the M1 background music kicks ass. The title themes in M2 and MI were great, and MR's strange music that always plays whenever you go to a certain spot was okay, but one of the reasons why I don't think that the sequels didn't have as good of emotion as the original is the fact that they don't have background music. Ambient sounds, I think, would've been great if they actually SOUNDED like ambient sounds, no offense towards whoever put them in there, but no matter what, I'd like music, and the loss of that after M1 was a bit of a slap in the face.

I never understood exactly why people thought that M1 was too cramped, sure there were some narrow corridors but there were plenty of large rooms and areas to be qualified as spacious. Besides, for me the M1 levels were harder to get past than the other M's levels were. It was kind of annoying, I agree, to be in some corridors sometimes, but I think that it was spacious a lot more than it was cramped. There were plenty of positions in which it would be best to use any weapon, at least the AR and Magnum, which are pretty much the only weapons I use.

I'll always love Marathon. I'm never letting go of it. Really, I'm only able to play it at my friends house since Marathon is too old to buy except for the Bungie Mac Action Sack, which I plan to get sometime when I get the chance. But whenever I play it, sometimes I think how what Marathon offers always seems so lost in other games, even Halo. I think that Marathon is kind of like a good movie or book, you become into it after a while, and next thing you know you become a fan of it. One of the things about Marathon is that it contains, like, the best emotion ever (yes, in my opinion, it even whoops the emotion of a game like Deus Ex's asses), and I always feel like i'm actually there, not staring at all those pixellated polygons on my screen, however not-exactly-up-to-date the graphics may be.

In the end, I'll never love a game more than Marathon, Marathon in my opinion kicks every other game out there's ass. Pretty much the only 2 disappointments I have about it are the sequels (well, like I said before, I've learned to like M2), and the fact that you can't crouch or jump, which just seems a wee bit unrealistic. The plot, gameplay, challenge and emotion combined that Marathon offers that I don't think any other game out there is going to beat is just astounding.

Sometimes though, it's just a little annoying how everyone else is out there playing something popular like Unreal Tournament, and when I give them my impact on Marathon and say I like it more, I get called a dork or something. But, terror with them.

Lastly, while this may seem a little pointless, I would like to point out that for some strange reason, I ESPECIALLY love playing Marathon during sunset in warm weather after having just came in from a long day of some school, hard work and some physical activities, and just listening to that old background music. Ahhh.

Well, i'll wrap it up, but always remember: Welcome aboard the Marathon.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Re: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/16/04 5:29 p.m.
     Re: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/16/04 11:01 p.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestKirk 3/17/04 1:44 a.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/17/04 12:45 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 4:57 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/17/04 2:04 p.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 2:13 p.m.
                                   Re: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/17/04 10:10 p.m.
                                         From Catch-22, right? *NM*the Battle Cat 3/18/04 6:58 a.m.
                                               catch what now? *NM*Yossarian 3/18/04 7:55 a.m.
                                                     catch what now?Elliott 3/18/04 12:33 p.m.
                                                           Who shot who in the what now? *NM*Mark Levin 3/18/04 1:51 p.m.
                                                                 So sorry.Elliott 3/18/04 2:27 p.m.
                                                     I'm not in at the moment. *NM*Major Major. 3/19/04 12:01 a.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 12:50 p.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/17/04 12:53 p.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 1:30 p.m.
     Re: The First Marathon Is The Bestmattschenk 3/17/04 11:19 a.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestIrritated 3/17/04 2:23 p.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 3:55 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The Bestthe Battle Cat 3/18/04 7:14 a.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 10:49 a.m.
                                   Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/18/04 11:50 a.m.
                             Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lol *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 6:01 p.m.
                                   Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolthe Battle Cat 3/19/04 7:15 a.m.
                                         Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 11:18 a.m.
                                               Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolTodd. 3/19/04 4:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:25 p.m.
     RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestdeathmonger 3/17/04 4:57 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:02 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/17/04 7:24 p.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:11 a.m.
                       Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 4:31 a.m.
                             Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/18/04 7:14 a.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/18/04 11:33 a.m.
                                         Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/18/04 12:38 p.m.
                                         Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/18/04 12:58 p.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 5:59 p.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestthe Battle Cat 3/19/04 7:41 a.m.
                                         *Wheezes through the Battle Cat's entire message* *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/19/04 8:19 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 2:03 a.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:04 a.m.
                       Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 4:26 a.m.
                             Very well, then. ;) *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:28 a.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestdeathmonger 3/18/04 4:47 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.