/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The Best
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 3/18/04 11:33 a.m.

In Response To: Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The Best (Elliott)

: That is what I meant when I said the puzzles made no sense in M1. They seemed
: thrown in randomly. Why do I have to go to three differnt rooms to make a
: stair case in one room. What F**KING A**HOLE made this damn ship. And
: further more who was giving him all those drugs. And all that lava, was
: the safty inspector getting into those drugs?

Reminds me of a similar post a couple years back. That is the real problem with M1 - great atmosphere, compelling story, creepy, lonely feel, but oh so contrived. Puzzles should have a purpose that relates directly back to the plot - not to be thrown in just for the challenge.

: I loved Mi, my favorite. I think puzzles mixed in well with combat. The story
: was complex and fun.
: M2 however, I only like for the game play. I think it looked nice and it is
: the only first person shooter with a bright eviroment for a LONG time. But
: story wise it felt like I was being pushed through a fan fiction of the
: fate of the big D man.

Being pushed through - that is the one problem with the trilogy overall. No real choices - do this and do that or don't play. For all the nonlinearity of Infinity, there was still only one overall plot and one possible conclusion. It took third party scenarios such as Operation Tantilus, Marathon Fell and Rubicon for the player's actions and choices to actually change the progression of the plot, leading to different outcomes. Speaking of which - anyone hear from Scifiteki lately? He was supposed to be working on a nonlinar version of M2/oo in which the player could take different paths and progress through the levels in different sequences and with different masters depending on their choices.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Re: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/16/04 5:29 p.m.
     Re: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/16/04 11:01 p.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestKirk 3/17/04 1:44 a.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/17/04 12:45 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 4:57 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/17/04 2:04 p.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 2:13 p.m.
                                   Re: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/17/04 10:10 p.m.
                                         From Catch-22, right? *NM*the Battle Cat 3/18/04 6:58 a.m.
                                               catch what now? *NM*Yossarian 3/18/04 7:55 a.m.
                                                     catch what now?Elliott 3/18/04 12:33 p.m.
                                                           Who shot who in the what now? *NM*Mark Levin 3/18/04 1:51 p.m.
                                                                 So sorry.Elliott 3/18/04 2:27 p.m.
                                                     I'm not in at the moment. *NM*Major Major. 3/19/04 12:01 a.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 12:50 p.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/17/04 12:53 p.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 1:30 p.m.
     Re: The First Marathon Is The Bestmattschenk 3/17/04 11:19 a.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestIrritated 3/17/04 2:23 p.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 3:55 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The Bestthe Battle Cat 3/18/04 7:14 a.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 10:49 a.m.
                                   Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/18/04 11:50 a.m.
                             Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lol *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 6:01 p.m.
                                   Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolthe Battle Cat 3/19/04 7:15 a.m.
                                         Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 11:18 a.m.
                                               Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolTodd. 3/19/04 4:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:25 p.m.
     RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestdeathmonger 3/17/04 4:57 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:02 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/17/04 7:24 p.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:11 a.m.
                       Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 4:31 a.m.
                             Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/18/04 7:14 a.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/18/04 11:33 a.m.
                                         Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/18/04 12:38 p.m.
                                         Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/18/04 12:58 p.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 5:59 p.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestthe Battle Cat 3/19/04 7:41 a.m.
                                         *Wheezes through the Battle Cat's entire message* *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/19/04 8:19 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 2:03 a.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:04 a.m.
                       Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 4:26 a.m.
                             Very well, then. ;) *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:28 a.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestdeathmonger 3/18/04 4:47 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.