/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

RE: The First Marathon Is The Best
Posted By: deathmongerDate: 3/17/04 4:57 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The First Marathon Is The Best (Starship Security Officer)

Damn it, every time I get to one of these cool discussions, everyone has already said everything I would want to say. But whatever.

However, I will say this. The first marathon is the only game I've played were I've actually had to take a break from playing because my keyboard was getting so incredibly soaked with sweat that my fingers kept slipping off the keys. I distinctly remember staying up long nights playing marathon; the next morning, I would have to nearly pry myself out of my chair with a crow-bar because all my sweating would glue my skin to it.

That said, marathon gave me a real since of terror and hopelessness. In marathon, I was a lonely security guard just trying to stay alive long enough to save my ship. In marathon, I wondered if I would ever live to see the light of day, wondered if I would ever get of this god-forsaken ship. I walked those lonely corridors with a real since of mortality

On the other hand, in M2 and MI I felt more like a rambo, wading through a sea of helpless enemies . Sure, the fighting was rough at times, but I was certain to come up on top.

That said, to me, marathon felt like a creeping game, walking slowly and cautiously along darkened bulkheads and broken machinery, uncertain of your fate. M2 and MI felt like a huge slugfest: get sent somewhere by somebody, kill everything that moved, repeat. Like your own privet thermopoly.

Of curse non of this is to say that I like one of them over the others, I had a blast playing all of them, and each game has its own strengths and weakness. I did'nt even cover things like story of graphics, just the basic mood i get when playing. So yeah, I don't really prefer one game in the trilogy over the other, just whichever one I feel like playing, I play it. And at the moment, I feel like playing the original.

^If any of the above made any since to anybody, please congratulate yourself for being able to decipher my broken thought patterns and ramblings^

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Re: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/16/04 5:29 p.m.
     Re: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/16/04 11:01 p.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestKirk 3/17/04 1:44 a.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/17/04 12:45 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 4:57 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/17/04 2:04 p.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 2:13 p.m.
                                   Re: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/17/04 10:10 p.m.
                                         From Catch-22, right? *NM*the Battle Cat 3/18/04 6:58 a.m.
                                               catch what now? *NM*Yossarian 3/18/04 7:55 a.m.
                                                     catch what now?Elliott 3/18/04 12:33 p.m.
                                                           Who shot who in the what now? *NM*Mark Levin 3/18/04 1:51 p.m.
                                                                 So sorry.Elliott 3/18/04 2:27 p.m.
                                                     I'm not in at the moment. *NM*Major Major. 3/19/04 12:01 a.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 12:50 p.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/17/04 12:53 p.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 1:30 p.m.
     Re: The First Marathon Is The Bestmattschenk 3/17/04 11:19 a.m.
           Re: The First Marathon Is The BestIrritated 3/17/04 2:23 p.m.
                 Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/17/04 3:55 p.m.
                       Re: The First Marathon Is The Bestthe Battle Cat 3/18/04 7:14 a.m.
                             Re: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 10:49 a.m.
                                   Re: The First Marathon Is The BestAdam Ashwell 3/18/04 11:50 a.m.
                             Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lol *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 6:01 p.m.
                                   Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolthe Battle Cat 3/19/04 7:15 a.m.
                                         Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 11:18 a.m.
                                               Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolTodd. 3/19/04 4:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: Sort o' reminds me of Neoptolemus, lolAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:25 p.m.
     RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestdeathmonger 3/17/04 4:57 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:02 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/17/04 7:24 p.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:11 a.m.
                       Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 4:31 a.m.
                             Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/18/04 7:14 a.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestSteve Levinson 3/18/04 11:33 a.m.
                                         Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestElliott 3/18/04 12:38 p.m.
                                         Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestYossarian 3/18/04 12:58 p.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 5:59 p.m.
                                   Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestthe Battle Cat 3/19/04 7:41 a.m.
                                         *Wheezes through the Battle Cat's entire message* *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/19/04 8:19 p.m.
           Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 2:03 a.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestStarship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:04 a.m.
                       Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The BestD-M.A. 3/18/04 4:26 a.m.
                             Very well, then. ;) *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 4:28 a.m.
                 Re: RE: The First Marathon Is The Bestdeathmonger 3/18/04 4:47 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.