Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"
Posted By: Skeletor <skeletor05@ftml.net>Date: 4/20/03 7:22 a.m.

In Response To: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers" (Mark Simmons)

I may have arrived a bit late in this thread, but I have recently finished H:TF and have been searching the forum archives for some interesting discussions, so I hope no-one minds if I re-animate this old thread.

Your review was exceptionally well written, your thoughts expressed very clearly, and I must say, I absolutely agree with you Mark. I too was disappointed by H:TF in all the aspects you mentioned.

My expectations for this book were high, I admit, but not unduly so.
H:TFoR, though not exactly a literary masterpiece, was nonetheless an excellent sci-fi novel. Nylund developed the characters and unfolded the story with practiced skill. John had a depth to him that I truly empathized with. He accepted the heavy responsibilities that had been laid upon his shoulders and did what had to be done because he believed it was his duty; he did not simply trundle about from place to place making witty comments and shooting at things. I related to him as he developed with time and understood what he must have been feeling, because, of course, Nylund expressed these things so well to us.

This is simply not the Master Chief we know in Halo:TF. Neither are any of the other characters ever developed to any significant degree, aside from Yayap and perhaps McKay. I really had to push myself to read through the large monotonous sections where the author attempts to describe events as they happen to players in the game, chronicling the physicality of happenings in tedious detail but overlooking any real character or story development.

All said, though the latest novel does shed some light on several issues that were never displayed in the game, frankly, I must say it has been a generally dull and unenjoyable experience.

Please forgive me if I sound harsh, it is only my humble opinion.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/10/03 9:58 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Simpsons Rule 4/10/03 10:05 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Hawkwings 4/10/03 10:06 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Simpsons Rule 4/10/03 10:13 p.m.
           Amen. *NM*barkbat 4/10/03 10:22 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Zeph Omega 4/10/03 10:29 p.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Hawkwings 4/10/03 10:34 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"mnemesis 4/10/03 11:01 p.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Xander818 4/10/03 11:52 p.m.
                       Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers" *NM*Epsilon 4/11/03 12:56 a.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Ciarán 4/11/03 7:16 a.m.
                       Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 8:32 a.m.
                             Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 8:57 a.m.
                                   Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 9:36 a.m.
                                         Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 10:25 a.m.
                                               Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:27 a.m.
                                                     Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 11:49 a.m.
                                                           Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Eric Trautmann 4/11/03 2:47 p.m.
                                                           Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:05 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"opie301 4/12/03 12:06 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/12/03 1:14 a.m.
                       Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Jamirus99 4/11/03 3:25 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Skeletor 4/20/03 7:22 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.