Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"
Posted By: Mark Simmons <mark343gs@hotmail.com>Date: 4/11/03 11:27 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Covenant motives *spoilers" (Opie301)

: It seems to me, and i may just be biased here, that the whole 'religion'
: thing is just an angle that the Prophets use to keep the other races in
: line. They don't necessarily believe the dogma themselves, but they use it
: to their advantage. Therefore, they really are just there to strip-mine
: for technology...or to find clues to something...bigger.

Oh, I agree that the latter's possible. But it's never stated. You're just left guess.

Also, although we know that they're looking for Halo's Control Room, we still have no clear idea why they were or what they intended to do when they got there.

Again, we're left to guess, and I can't see why. Given that Halo's been destroyed, how damaging can it be to the story line to explain these points?

Which is a rhetorical question, of course.

: I think that the book did a decent job of filling in some of the gaps (what
: the hell were the marines doing this whole time) that we were left with
: from the game. Did it lay any major revelations on us? Not really...but
: were you expecting that?

I wasn't necessarily expecting anything major, although that would have been nice.

What I was hoping for was at least some useful insight into why the Covenant were at Halo. Okay, I don't know the full story arc, so, again, I'm guessing. But, as I said above, given that Halo's been turned into shrapnel, I can't see why telling us that would be so terrible. Potentially it could actually add to the intrigue of the story and the anticipation of Halo2.

As it is, I can only hope that all the revelations are going to be rolled out decently in Halo2 (and not crammed into the last five minutes of the game).

Unless, of course, there's a Halo3... :-)

: But, in all, i felt more could have been done. Character development was
: weak, but i blame the limitations under which Dietz worked rather than the
: author or the Bungie/Microsoft team involved.

Okay. So, who exactly imposed those limitations then? [rhetorical again]

And more importantly, do they want a fight..? ;-)

Mark

Message Index

Replies:

Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/10/03 9:58 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Simpsons Rule 4/10/03 10:05 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Hawkwings 4/10/03 10:06 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Simpsons Rule 4/10/03 10:13 p.m.
           Amen. *NM*barkbat 4/10/03 10:22 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Zeph Omega 4/10/03 10:29 p.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Hawkwings 4/10/03 10:34 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"mnemesis 4/10/03 11:01 p.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Xander818 4/10/03 11:52 p.m.
                       Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers" *NM*Epsilon 4/11/03 12:56 a.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Ciarán 4/11/03 7:16 a.m.
                       Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 8:32 a.m.
                             Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 8:57 a.m.
                                   Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 9:36 a.m.
                                         Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 10:25 a.m.
                                               Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:27 a.m.
                                                     Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 11:49 a.m.
                                                           Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Eric Trautmann 4/11/03 2:47 p.m.
                                                           Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:05 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"opie301 4/12/03 12:06 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/12/03 1:14 a.m.
                       Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Jamirus99 4/11/03 3:25 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Skeletor 4/20/03 7:22 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.