Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"
Posted By: Mark Simmons <mark343gs@hotmail.com>Date: 4/11/03 11:05 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Covenant motives *spoilers" (Eric Trautmann)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with creating a plot line that actively encourages discussion and speculation of the potential direction of the story matter. However, it is perfectly possible to take that game plan (sic) too far.

Up until this book was released, all we had to go on was the game itself. Because it was a game, as the player, all of our knowledge of the story is gained via the Master Chief's perceptions of the unfolding events. Quite naturally, in the circumstances, one accepts that it's going to be a bit of a lopsided experience.

A book, however, is obviously not subject to those restrictions, and provides a excellent opportunity to expand on all aspects of the story from different viewpoints.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that many of us expected that to happen, in varying degrees.

Yes, we did find out what the Marines were up to in the background, and that was good. More to the point; it was necessary, to fill in some rather large gaps in the game story.

But apart from that, we really are none the wiser regarding the other major player in the story. Namely, the Covenant.

Now, I obviously don't know the story arc and therefore the pacing that Bungie need to employ with it. But, given that Halo's been out for sometime, and given that Bungie know full well the amount of intelligent heated discussion and questions that it has generated, *and* given that Halo2 is not going to be out until the end of the year, I would have thought that a prime reason for releasing a book at this stage would be to increase the anticipation further by throwing us a few more story-building scraps of info to keep the pot boiling furiously until then.

What I'm really trying to say here is, that it seems to be an opportunity missed. The fans are effectively no more clued in than they were post-game and post-discussion.

So what exactly was the ultimate purpose of releasing a book of the game, if not to indulge the reader in even more speculatory material and flesh out the core story further?

Perhaps I should speculate on that... ;-)

Mark

P.S. It's worth adding that I'm not actually annoyed or anything, even if it may sound like that. Just a bit disappointed, that's all.

I think Bungie have a superb game on their hands and obviously have some very talented individuals working for them. But they're not gods and not infallible. Personally, I think that the book is a missed opportunity, and at the end of the day, credit where credit's due.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/10/03 9:58 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Simpsons Rule 4/10/03 10:05 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Hawkwings 4/10/03 10:06 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Simpsons Rule 4/10/03 10:13 p.m.
           Amen. *NM*barkbat 4/10/03 10:22 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Zeph Omega 4/10/03 10:29 p.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Hawkwings 4/10/03 10:34 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"mnemesis 4/10/03 11:01 p.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Xander818 4/10/03 11:52 p.m.
                       Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers" *NM*Epsilon 4/11/03 12:56 a.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Ciarán 4/11/03 7:16 a.m.
                       Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 8:32 a.m.
                             Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 8:57 a.m.
                                   Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 9:36 a.m.
                                         Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 10:25 a.m.
                                               Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:27 a.m.
                                                     Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 11:49 a.m.
                                                           Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Eric Trautmann 4/11/03 2:47 p.m.
                                                           Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:05 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"opie301 4/12/03 12:06 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/12/03 1:14 a.m.
                       Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Jamirus99 4/11/03 3:25 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Skeletor 4/20/03 7:22 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.