Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"
Posted By: Mark Simmons <mark343gs@hotmail.com>Date: 4/12/03 1:14 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Covenant motives *spoilers" (opie301)

: Mark, i think the biggest thing you're missing here, is that these books are
: merely meant to be supplemental. To fill in the gaps and provide further
: back story to the fan. We both agree that 'The Flood' perhaps could have
: done this a little bit better.

Agreed.

I guess that I was probably spoilt by H:FoR in that respect. We were fed so much information during that part of the story (although, admittedly, it does take place over a longer period of time) that H:TF comes over as a bit barren in comparison.

That, most likely, garnered my expectations of the second book beyond an expected level.

: But then you go on to request that some major plot element be revealed in the
: Novel...and that, sir, is just wishful thinking. The games sell the books,
: not the other way around. If Bungie is going to release any new plot
: developments, it will be through the game not through the novelization.

No, not major. But more 'minor' would have been nice.

I agree with you completely that it is the game that sells the books. Initially.

However, books can also sell games. And a well written, intriguing book has the potential to pull in even more customers that might never have even considered playing the game.

: I think you just have to rearrange your expectations. Were you right to
: expect a little deeper story from this novelization...a better development
: of the existing story line? I think so, and I agree. But to expect Dietz
: to drop a bomb in a novelization is just naive.

My expectations were indeed set too high. That was one of the points that I originally made. And because of that, I agree with you fully. I do need to rearrange them.

That said, a bombshell revelation was not what I was looking for. Just more depth. Surely that could be achieved without undermining the arc disastrously or compromising its pacing.

But maybe it would...

If explaining why the Covenant where at Halo and what their intentions were is classified as a bombshell from Bungie's point of view, beyond 'looking for secrets', then fair enough. They were right not to tell us. But additional material which deepened and fed the speculation while not revealing the answer would have been welcome. Maybe there isn't any available or it just wasn't possible to do...

However, it is Bungie's story. And, at the end of the day, they know far better than I do the best way to tell it.

Mark

Message Index

Replies:

Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/10/03 9:58 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Simpsons Rule 4/10/03 10:05 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Hawkwings 4/10/03 10:06 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Simpsons Rule 4/10/03 10:13 p.m.
           Amen. *NM*barkbat 4/10/03 10:22 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Zeph Omega 4/10/03 10:29 p.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Hawkwings 4/10/03 10:34 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"mnemesis 4/10/03 11:01 p.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Xander818 4/10/03 11:52 p.m.
                       Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers" *NM*Epsilon 4/11/03 12:56 a.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Ciarán 4/11/03 7:16 a.m.
                       Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 8:32 a.m.
                             Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 8:57 a.m.
                                   Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 9:36 a.m.
                                         Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 10:25 a.m.
                                               Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:27 a.m.
                                                     Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 11:49 a.m.
                                                           Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Eric Trautmann 4/11/03 2:47 p.m.
                                                           Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:05 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"opie301 4/12/03 12:06 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/12/03 1:14 a.m.
                       Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Jamirus99 4/11/03 3:25 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Skeletor 4/20/03 7:22 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.