Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"
Posted By: Opie301Date: 4/11/03 10:25 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Covenant motives *spoilers" (Mark Simmons)

: Yeah, the prophet mentions 'secrets', true. But it all seems a bit
: wishy-washy and lacking in substance. After all, I would imagine that most
: of the fan community involved in any form of discussion and speculation on
: the story would have entertained that possibility long before the book
: came out anyway.

: Besides, Halo is supposedly a 'holy' relic for the Covenant. I would have
: expected their motivations to be on a higher level than just strip-mining
: the place of its technology.

It seems to me, and i may just be biased here, that the whole 'religion' thing is just an angle that the Prophets use to keep the other races in line. They don't necessarily believe the dogma themselves, but they use it to their advantage. Therefore, they really are just there to strip-mine for technology...or to find clues to something...bigger.

: As it is, the whole story really just boils down to: Went to Halo. Met the
: locals. Had a fight. Left.

: ...and I don't really feel any the more informed for doing so either.

I think that the book did a decent job of filling in some of the gaps (what the hell were the marines doing this whole time) that we were left with from the game. Did it lay any major revelations on us? Not really...but were you expecting that?

But, in all, i felt more could have been done. Character development was weak, but i blame the limitations under which Dietz worked rather than the author or the Bungie/Microsoft team involved.

postman's profile

Message Index

Replies:

Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/10/03 9:58 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Simpsons Rule 4/10/03 10:05 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Hawkwings 4/10/03 10:06 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Simpsons Rule 4/10/03 10:13 p.m.
           Amen. *NM*barkbat 4/10/03 10:22 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Zeph Omega 4/10/03 10:29 p.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Hawkwings 4/10/03 10:34 p.m.
           Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"mnemesis 4/10/03 11:01 p.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Xander818 4/10/03 11:52 p.m.
                       Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers" *NM*Epsilon 4/11/03 12:56 a.m.
                 Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Ciarán 4/11/03 7:16 a.m.
                       Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 8:32 a.m.
                             Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 8:57 a.m.
                                   Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 9:36 a.m.
                                         Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 10:25 a.m.
                                               Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:27 a.m.
                                                     Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Opie301 4/11/03 11:49 a.m.
                                                           Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Eric Trautmann 4/11/03 2:47 p.m.
                                                           Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/11/03 11:05 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"opie301 4/12/03 12:06 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Covenant motives *spoilers"Mark Simmons 4/12/03 1:14 a.m.
                       Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Jamirus99 4/11/03 3:25 p.m.
     Re: Halo - The Flood *long* *spoilers"Skeletor 4/20/03 7:22 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.