Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: My thoughts, probably wrong!
Posted By: protexts <protexts@cs.com>Date: 3/18/02 11:29 p.m.

In Response To: My thoughts, probably wrong! (Crappy Sniper)

: Would they show him floating in space if he wasn't going to do anything in
: the next game?

Didn't say he wouldn't be in the next game or play a crucial role.

Maybe he just follows protocol in these instances in the
: game because he has had nothing to do for the past however many years but
: sit there and think about protocol.

If you accept he follows protocol, then he follows protocol, not because he has nothing better to do, but because that is the nature of protocol -- rule based.

Protocol doesn't quite work out in
: after he has to fight the MC with his Sentinals, and I believe he breaks
: away from it. I would bet he is like Cortana in that he doesn't have any
: blocks on him. I've never played Marathon, so I don't know much about
: AI's, this is just what I thought while playing through.

Protocol does not tell him what to do every second of his breathing life [sic], it just gives some basic rules to follow. Those include some very basic rules like: contain the flood, make necessary repairs, oversee the senitals (probably), make sure Halo is activated (which by logical implication means 'control the index.'). It also means things like, get someone authorized to retrieve the index regardless of whether or not he thinks he's the man -- er construct -- to do the job.
Like most AIs, there are restrictions to what they can and cannot do because an AI is basically a very complex computer program. Having said that, I don't think it is necessarily the case that all AIs obey all the rules all the time. Certainly Cortana, who is was mapped from Dr. Halsey (sp?), a human being, displays more human free will.

Message Index

Replies:

Human history, is it? Fascinating... *sp*ThePerfectCore 3/18/02 3:11 p.m.
     Re: Human history, is it? Fascinating... *sp*NthDegree256 3/18/02 3:21 p.m.
           Re: Human history, is it? Fascinating... *sp*Mark Levin 3/18/02 3:37 p.m.
                 Re: Human history, is it? Fascinating... *sp*ApolokiA 3/18/02 3:52 p.m.
                       One thing...Tursas 3/18/02 7:09 p.m.
                             Re: One thing...ApolokiA 3/19/02 3:50 a.m.
                 Re: Human history, is it? Fascinating... *sp*MC 3/18/02 4:15 p.m.
                       Cole protocol? "Hand over the construct?" No no noThePerfectCore 3/18/02 5:12 p.m.
     Re: Human history, is it? Fascinating... *sp*protexts 3/18/02 3:37 p.m.
           *Buzzer sounds*ThePerfectCore 3/18/02 5:16 p.m.
                 You need to get your buzzer fixed.protexts 3/18/02 7:22 p.m.
     Re: Human history, is it? Fascinating... *sp*Clefton Twain 3/18/02 4:19 p.m.
           Re: Human history, is it? Fascinating... *sp*NthDegree256 3/18/02 8:58 p.m.
     Re: Human history, is it? Fascinating... *sp*John Denton 3/18/02 4:21 p.m.
           Alright, my rebuttal... (dammit)ThePerfectCore 3/18/02 5:21 p.m.
                 Re: Alright, my rebuttal... (dammit)protexts 3/18/02 8:14 p.m.
                       My thoughts, probably wrong!Crappy Sniper 3/18/02 10:37 p.m.
                             Re: My thoughts, probably wrong!protexts 3/18/02 11:29 p.m.
                                   Re: My thoughts, probably wrong!Covenant Elite 3/19/02 3:38 a.m.
                                         Re: My thoughts, probably wrong!protexts 3/19/02 3:47 p.m.
                                               Re: My thoughts, probably wrong!foo 3/20/02 1:35 a.m.
                                                     Re: My thoughts, probably wrong!protexts 3/20/02 3:05 a.m.
                                                           Re: My thoughts, probably wrong!Covenant Elite 3/20/02 11:46 a.m.
                                                                 Here's what GS saysprotexts 3/21/02 2:57 p.m.
     Re: Human history, is it? Fascinating... *sp*Narcogen 3/19/02 3:56 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.