glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..
Posted By: SpudBoyDate: 2/21/02 8:43 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls.. (DeAdLy_cOoKiE)

: No, this is not antialiasing, nor phong shading, this is a
: drawback/sideaffect of bumpmapping. It has problems with edges.

Problems with edges?? Do you mean where the tiles meet? I have never had a bumpmap give me any problems at all with edges of models. And if you map it correctly, any discrepencies on the tile edges are taken care of by antialiasing.

: Play some games, if you can, in wireframe mode, you'll understand. OR things
: are totally mixed up in my head.

I understand wireframes.

: Misinterpretation. I was not asking how polygons are calculated. Ofcourse
: polygons are calculated by the geometry of the mesh. There's no such thing
: as a very extreme bumpmap (In the sense of a large bumpmap). How I see it,
: a wall for instance, has a lot of repeating textures, with each individual
: texture a lightmap for bumps. I don't care if the wall is a mile long, or
: consists out of 60 or 100 polygns.

By extreme bumpmap, I mean a map that goes from perfect black to perfect white. Going from extreme to extreme.

: Could you explain to me why the visual artefacts (bugs?), liquidex is talking
: about, are vertical . The only reason I can think of is that it has to do
: with polygons, in some way or another. BUT.. I'm never certain. Perhaps
: you can try to enlighten me again?

Well, just an educated guess here, but I would think they are module edges. Most games are designed using pre configured "modules" which they pull from libraries they have created. Kind of a lego building block approach. It would take too long and be too huge to actually model all of the hallways and corridors. It could be done of course, but I doubt they did it this way. Chances are, there would be many changes to a level design after play testing. They modular approach makes changes fairly easy to do. To remodel the level would be a major pain.

So, unless they laid a "skin" in front of the module joining spots, the textures would not bridge the gap between the modules. The gap is mainly unnoticed during normal play because the modules fit together tightly. But when you use the flashlight, it can catch the edges. A mesh such as a wall will generally only be textured on the side visible to the "camera" or us playing the game basically. (as can be easily seen when climbing up above sidewinder or blood gulch) So if you happen to catch the right angle you can basically see between and inside the modules.

I don't think the flashlight is a seperate mapping element as liquidex mentioned. I believe it is a real time light source. As such, no one could possibly make the whole thing seamless since they could never account for all the possible positions and lighting angles a player may cause during the course of a game. Some games have very blatent flaws in this area. I think Bungie did an amazing job all around.

Does that make sense? Again, just a guess.

-Spu

Message Index

Replies:

A few random Halo questions and comments...Liquidex 2/21/02 12:16 a.m.
     Re: A few random Halo questions and comments...NthDegree256 2/21/02 12:36 a.m.
     Re: A few random Halo questions and comments...Mark Levin 2/21/02 1:10 a.m.
           Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..DeAdLy_cOoKiE 2/21/02 8:29 a.m.
                 Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..Mark Levin 2/21/02 10:46 a.m.
                 Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..SpudBoy 2/21/02 2:25 p.m.
                       Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..DeAdLy_cOoKiE 2/21/02 4:41 p.m.
                             Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..SpudBoy 2/21/02 8:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..DeAdLy_cOoKiE 2/22/02 5:19 a.m.
     Marathon SymbolMalagigi 2/21/02 10:13 a.m.
     Totally random tidbitLouis Wu 2/23/02 1:43 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.