glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..
Posted By: DeAdLy_cOoKiE <deadly_cookie@yahoo.com>Date: 2/21/02 8:29 a.m.

In Response To: Re: A few random Halo questions and comments... (Mark Levin)

: I don't think these are affine because the distortions don't exactly follow
: the viewpoint... I think it's just a bug in the static lightmap generation
: that is only revealed when the surface brightness is greatly increased by
: using the flashlight.

... Or explosions... I take it that it takes use of the same lightmap for whatever lightsource. (Note: the lights in structures (which basically are textures with a precalculated shadowmap) don't appear to have an effect on bumps(pretty selfexplainatory), or cast shadow, IOW, FAKE light)

Not entirely sure what you guys are talking about, but I think it has something to do with the way textures are tiled, or more like that fact that textures ARE tiled. As you may know, bumpmapping can show visual anomalities at the edges of textures/lightmaps, if not done properly. From what I know/have seen, Bungie has mastered bumpmapping perfectly (in a 'no use of bumps at edges' kind of way). EXCEPT for filtering out shadows, engine wise (shame on you bungie), IE, flashlight shining through a gamecharacter>still bumpmaps>no shadow, (but NOT around the corner of a wall? hmm..) babble...

But, it makes me wonder why the visual artefacts appear to diagonal and not horizontal/vertical (edges of textures). Does it then have to do anything with polygons (which are triangles)? How does that make sense? Well, a wall, which we all know, is very flat, BUT, even a wall consists out of a certain number polygons. In the most primitive form, two polygons (a cube consists out of 12 polygons), but it works differently if a wall has a door/passage/whatever, which translates to more use of triangles.

Now, let me brainstorm some more. Bumpmapping is based on a lightmap and and a lightsource, but it still is fake, an approximation if you will (visually-wise, not CPU-calc-wise, after all, it IS calculated and drawn) for THAT specific lightmap! Since a wall is built up out of many textures/lightmaps, with each lightmap (or polygon?!) having to do indivudual calculations, each having their own light-source, which may result in different outcomes (visually), dispite having a, in a sense, 1 fixed lightsource, for the viewer (in this case, the flashlight). Whoa! I've outdone myself... Again..

Which raises a question:
Are bumps calculated on a per-polygon basis? (Heh, do I sound a lot like Carmack now?). One can never be certain.

Personally, I want to see the effect of bumpmapping with a 3D revelator.

Can anyone 'shine a light' on this/these matter(s)!? =o)

Message Index

Replies:

A few random Halo questions and comments...Liquidex 2/21/02 12:16 a.m.
     Re: A few random Halo questions and comments...NthDegree256 2/21/02 12:36 a.m.
     Re: A few random Halo questions and comments...Mark Levin 2/21/02 1:10 a.m.
           Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..DeAdLy_cOoKiE 2/21/02 8:29 a.m.
                 Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..Mark Levin 2/21/02 10:46 a.m.
                 Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..SpudBoy 2/21/02 2:25 p.m.
                       Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..DeAdLy_cOoKiE 2/21/02 4:41 p.m.
                             Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..SpudBoy 2/21/02 8:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Bumpmaps, techy!! Bungie(MSN), enlighten pls..DeAdLy_cOoKiE 2/22/02 5:19 a.m.
     Marathon SymbolMalagigi 2/21/02 10:13 a.m.
     Totally random tidbitLouis Wu 2/23/02 1:43 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.