Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed Down
Posted By: General Vagueness <General.Vagueness@gmail.com>Date: 8/20/12 1:28 p.m.

In Response To: Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed Down (Unique Name)

: Sorry, I can't say I'm with you on disliking hardlight. Yeah, if you take the
: name literally* it's a silly concept, but I've always interpreted the
: light as something of a side effect of a powerful... something.

That's all good and well, except the info thing on it on Waypoint (on their Halo 4 page) says it appears to be made of particles of light fused together. You could make an argument from the "appears to be" part, but I'm pretty sure that's just 343i covering themselves.

: It doesn't matter to me; it's an established sci-fi trope

I hadn't heard of it until recently and it doesn't matter anyway if it's established or not, in fact isn't part of the point of tropes to know what not to do if you're trying to be creative?

: and more importantly, it's cool.

No, it's dumb, because light doesn't work that way, and everyone knows it.*

: The unnaturally-formed cave in Halo (B20) just wouldn't have the same
: impact if the bridge clanked down on chains looking like something in
: one of the platforming levels of Assassin's Creed.

That's a completely different thing, or a different angle on it-- "hard light", and this description, didn't show up until recently (which means they didn't show up during the first 10 years of Halo history). It was theorized, especially here, that the light bridge and the energy sword were plasma held in a magnetic field, something we know is possible but aren't good at (yet), and that was at least partially confirmed-- I know because on the same site, in the same section, it says that's how the energy sword works.

: Besides, we're talking about another established trope, the Enlightened
: Ancient Space Dudes. You can take whatever you think you know about the
: way the universe does and doesn't work and throw it out the window,
: because they're X orders of magnitude more advanced than we are.

Well initially it was unexplained, and actually I would've been OK with that too-- I'm not against Clarke's Third Law (I think when applied liberally it makes a story be less sci-fi and more fantasy, but that can work), I'm against using that principle or a similar one to contradict the knowledge that science has given us.

: Unfortunately for the Warthog's old suspension, as much as we fans may like
: it, it's goofy without apparently adding any value in-universe. Even
: though it's completely buildable today, and might even work reasonably well,

What? I didn't know that, in that case there's no excuse for changing it.

: to the untrained eye it looks unrealistic. People are familiar with
: cars and they don't have suspension like the Halo 1-Reach Warthog, they
: have suspension like the Halo 4 Warthog. So I can understand why, if 343
: wants to go for a more realistic, grounded tone with the UNSC**, they
: would make that particular change. And as much as I previously thought the
: wacky suspension was an iconic part of the Warthog's design, I don't look
: at the Halo 4 'Hog and think it looks wrong. I've seen it plenty of times
: before and it was only when I saw a close-up shot of the suspension
: (slowed down, even) that I noticed it was different.

I think going for a more realistic tone with the UNSC wouldn't mesh with using the "it works because it's super-advanced and it just works" premise for alien technology.
I agree with Chewbaccawakka (and TDSpiral?), I don't think it's even intentional, at least not in a concerted way, I think it's a fluke that no one looked hard enough or knew enough or cared enough to catch, which is disappointing, but I'll be even more disappointed if it's on purpose.

* There's an argument to be made about a lack of knowledge or understanding. We understand light and electromagnetism (light is an electromagnetic phenomenon) very well, better than almost every other area of physics, and in 500 years we should understand it even better, and now that I think of it after looking at, using, and reverse-engineering Covenant and Forerunner technology our understanding should be better still and our capabilities should be greatly improved.

You cannot fall off the floor.

Message Index

Replies:

New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownCyReN 8/15/12 10:39 p.m.
     Great idea, thanks! *NM*serpx 8/15/12 11:42 p.m.
     OP! OP! OP! OP!padraig08 8/16/12 12:16 a.m.
           lol, totally meant for other thread. *NM*padraig08 8/16/12 12:17 a.m.
     Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownAvateur 8/16/12 2:04 a.m.
           Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownSeraph XXVII 8/16/12 5:36 a.m.
                 Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownNotTheVacuum 8/16/12 10:28 a.m.
                       Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownSeraph XXVII 8/16/12 12:16 p.m.
     Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownQuirel 8/16/12 10:44 a.m.
           Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownAvateur 8/16/12 9:40 p.m.
                 Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownQuirel 8/16/12 10:11 p.m.
     Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownChewbaccawakka 8/17/12 12:47 a.m.
           Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed Downnotthevacuum 8/17/12 6:50 a.m.
                 They were in the E3 trailer, after the gameplay *NM*NotTheVacuum 8/17/12 7:40 a.m.
                 Gotcha, I must have missed it. *NM*Chewbaccawakka 8/17/12 11:36 a.m.
     Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownUnique Name 8/18/12 1:12 p.m.
           Yep! *IMG*uberfoop 8/18/12 1:40 p.m.
                 Re: Yep! *IMG*General Vagueness 8/18/12 1:53 p.m.
                       'Artistic License' *NM*Quirel 8/18/12 2:04 p.m.
                 Re: Yep! *IMG*crazybydefault 8/18/12 2:11 p.m.
           Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownArchilen 8/18/12 2:52 p.m.
                 Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownSonofMacPhisto 8/18/12 8:06 p.m.
                       Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownUnique Name 8/19/12 11:48 a.m.
                             Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownQuirel 8/19/12 2:02 p.m.
                             Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownGeneral Vagueness 8/19/12 3:22 p.m.
                                   Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownUnique Name 8/20/12 2:46 a.m.
                                         Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownGeneral Vagueness 8/20/12 1:28 p.m.
                 Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownTDSpiral 8/18/12 8:26 p.m.
                       Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownChewbaccawakka 8/18/12 8:41 p.m.
                             Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownArchilen 8/19/12 6:35 a.m.
                                   Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownArteenEsben 8/19/12 9:10 a.m.
                                   Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed Downscarab 8/19/12 2:47 p.m.
           What was old is new againDEEP NNN 8/19/12 8:00 a.m.
           Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownFyreWulff 8/19/12 1:16 p.m.
                 Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownGeneral Vagueness 8/19/12 2:52 p.m.
                       Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed Downuberfoop 8/19/12 2:55 p.m.
                             Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownGeneral Vagueness 8/19/12 3:25 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.