Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed Down
Posted By: Unique Name <dean.hofmeyer@gmail.com>Date: 8/20/12 2:46 a.m.

In Response To: Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed Down (General Vagueness)

: Reading this, I kind of wish the carpool to HBOnes LAN would've worked out
: differently so I would've had you on my side in the discussion we had on
: the way back (I remember you offered to take me part of the way). That
: would go against this, though, because it was about the recent lack of
: realism, mostly the "hard light shield" (and other stuff, but it
: kept coming back to that). From what I can tell the wacky suspension is
: immensely more realistic than particles of light fused into a grid, and
: several other things that already show up in Halo.

Sorry, I can't say I'm with you on disliking hardlight. Yeah, if you take the name literally* it's a silly concept, but I've always interpreted the light as something of a side effect of a powerful... something. It doesn't matter to me; it's an established sci-fi trope and more importantly, it's cool. The unnaturally-formed cave in Halo (B20) just wouldn't have the same impact if the bridge clanked down on chains looking like something in one of the platforming levels of Assassin's Creed. Besides, we're talking about another established trope, the Enlightened Ancient Space Dudes. You can take whatever you think you know about the way the universe does and doesn't work and throw it out the window, because they're X orders of magnitude more advanced than we are.

Unfortunately for the Warthog's old suspension, as much as we fans may like it, it's goofy without apparently adding any value in-universe. Even though it's completely buildable today, and might even work reasonably well, to the untrained eye it looks unrealistic. People are familiar with cars and they don't have suspension like the Halo 1-Reach Warthog, they have suspension like the Halo 4 Warthog. So I can understand why, if 343 wants to go for a more realistic, grounded tone with the UNSC**, they would make that particular change. And as much as I previously thought the wacky suspension was an iconic part of the Warthog's design, I don't look at the Halo 4 'Hog and think it looks wrong. I've seen it plenty of times before and it was only when I saw a close-up shot of the suspension (slowed down, even) that I noticed it was different.

*I haven't read the Forerunner books; it may literally be hardened light, and if so, yeah, that's goofy. It'd be like throwing out the ABS and deciding to make all future Lego bricks from steam.
**except for the MJOLNIR, which looks like some of the concept artists both like anime way too much and took the whole "wearable fighter jet" thing way too literally.

tl;dr:
Hardlight is unrealistic but makes sense in a sci-fi.
Weirdhog suspension is less unrealistic but the UNSC is supposed to be more grounded so the change makes sense.

Message Index

Replies:

New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownCyReN 8/15/12 10:39 p.m.
     Great idea, thanks! *NM*serpx 8/15/12 11:42 p.m.
     OP! OP! OP! OP!padraig08 8/16/12 12:16 a.m.
           lol, totally meant for other thread. *NM*padraig08 8/16/12 12:17 a.m.
     Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownAvateur 8/16/12 2:04 a.m.
           Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownSeraph XXVII 8/16/12 5:36 a.m.
                 Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownNotTheVacuum 8/16/12 10:28 a.m.
                       Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownSeraph XXVII 8/16/12 12:16 p.m.
     Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownQuirel 8/16/12 10:44 a.m.
           Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownAvateur 8/16/12 9:40 p.m.
                 Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownQuirel 8/16/12 10:11 p.m.
     Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownChewbaccawakka 8/17/12 12:47 a.m.
           Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed Downnotthevacuum 8/17/12 6:50 a.m.
                 They were in the E3 trailer, after the gameplay *NM*NotTheVacuum 8/17/12 7:40 a.m.
                 Gotcha, I must have missed it. *NM*Chewbaccawakka 8/17/12 11:36 a.m.
     Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownUnique Name 8/18/12 1:12 p.m.
           Yep! *IMG*uberfoop 8/18/12 1:40 p.m.
                 Re: Yep! *IMG*General Vagueness 8/18/12 1:53 p.m.
                       'Artistic License' *NM*Quirel 8/18/12 2:04 p.m.
                 Re: Yep! *IMG*crazybydefault 8/18/12 2:11 p.m.
           Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownArchilen 8/18/12 2:52 p.m.
                 Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownSonofMacPhisto 8/18/12 8:06 p.m.
                       Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownUnique Name 8/19/12 11:48 a.m.
                             Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownQuirel 8/19/12 2:02 p.m.
                             Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownGeneral Vagueness 8/19/12 3:22 p.m.
                                   Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownUnique Name 8/20/12 2:46 a.m.
                                         Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownGeneral Vagueness 8/20/12 1:28 p.m.
                 Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownTDSpiral 8/18/12 8:26 p.m.
                       Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownChewbaccawakka 8/18/12 8:41 p.m.
                             Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownArchilen 8/19/12 6:35 a.m.
                                   Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownArteenEsben 8/19/12 9:10 a.m.
                                   Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed Downscarab 8/19/12 2:47 p.m.
           What was old is new againDEEP NNN 8/19/12 8:00 a.m.
           Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownFyreWulff 8/19/12 1:16 p.m.
                 Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownGeneral Vagueness 8/19/12 2:52 p.m.
                       Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed Downuberfoop 8/19/12 2:55 p.m.
                             Re: New Halo 4 In-Game Footage Slowed DownGeneral Vagueness 8/19/12 3:25 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.