Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Couple of things...
Posted By: Postmortem <postmortem@forwarduntodawn.com>Date: 10/27/11 1:10 p.m.

In Response To: Couple of things... (GrimBrother One)

: This actually bothered me too. I laughed when you said you cringed. I did the
: same thing, lol. A few times would be fine, especially coming from some of
: them who were more fascinated by humanity.

I couldn't help but think of Garrus: "As you humans say, I can feel it in my gut."

And then of course of all the people who say "You humans have an expression (A). We Asari have a similar expression (B)."

Even that would've been better. Maybe an Elite could have said "The humans have a dirty expression for this situation (A), if you can fathom to think on their level. I much prefer our noble saying (B)."

Yeah, this might have been one of my biggest complaints. The Elite society just felt too... human. "He knew how to tell them when to roll up their sleeves and get to work." It's like she wrote them as humans, and then retroactively changed some wording so that it was talking about Sangheili.

Instead of having them reference human terms, why not give them some of their own sayings? That would have been much cooler, and we as fans would have gained a deeper glimpse into their society.

The first thing that bothered me about her treatment of Elites was actually when he finds the dead bodies from the keep over, and says to get them down and remove them from sight for being "indecent". That bothered me a bit. I know it can be written down as a difference in elite societies from state to state, but I really felt like an elite reaction would have been the exact opposite. More like "Gather round children, and see. There is a valuable life lesson to be learned here."

I'm not going to complain about Traviss' take on the universe, since it seems to be the most realistic so far, but it really did seem like she was uncomfortable with showing the elites as the brutal society that they are and had to reign them back a bit for her own satisfaction, and that, as you said Archilen, she didn't make it seem very science fiction like, except for the elements that were already there. In fact, in some ways the story seemed very primitive, like it was written about a story set in the modern day.

Forward Unto Dawn

Message Index

Replies:

Glasslands thoughts/critiques *SP*Archilen 10/27/11 8:48 a.m.
     In regards to Halsey...davidfuchs 10/27/11 9:56 a.m.
           Re: In regards to Halsey...GrimBrother One 10/27/11 10:31 a.m.
           Re: In regards to Halsey...Archilen 10/27/11 10:52 a.m.
     Couple of things...GrimBrother One 10/27/11 10:27 a.m.
           Re: Couple of things...davidfuchs 10/27/11 10:35 a.m.
           Re: Couple of things...Archilen 10/27/11 11:09 a.m.
           Re: Couple of things...Postmortem 10/27/11 1:10 p.m.
                 Re: Couple of things...Archilen 10/27/11 2:07 p.m.
                       Re: Couple of things...elrolio 10/27/11 2:29 p.m.
                       Re: Couple of things...scarab 10/27/11 4:49 p.m.
                             Re: Couple of things...Archilen 10/28/11 1:06 a.m.
     Re: Glasslands thoughts/critiques *SP*elrolio 10/27/11 2:14 p.m.
           Re: Glasslands thoughts/critiques *SP*Postmortem 10/27/11 2:47 p.m.
                 Re: Glasslands thoughts/critiques *SP*Archilen 10/28/11 3:25 a.m.
                       Re: Glasslands thoughts/critiques *SP*Postmortem 10/28/11 7:44 a.m.
     I should have been sleeping...AladelAngel 10/28/11 4:53 a.m.
           Re: I should have been sleeping...Archilen 10/28/11 7:36 a.m.
                 Re: I should have been sleeping...AladelAngel 10/28/11 1:08 p.m.
           This. (+ [mean] comments)Arithmomaniac 10/28/11 9:11 a.m.
                 Re: This. (+ [mean] comments)IESUproductions 10/28/11 10:04 a.m.
                       Re: This. (+ [mean] comments)Arithmomaniac 10/28/11 10:34 a.m.
                             Re: This. (+ [mean] comments)davidfuchs 10/28/11 11:19 a.m.
                 Re: This. (+ [mean] comments)AladelAngel 10/28/11 1:13 p.m.
                       Re: This. (+ [mean] comments)Postmortem 10/28/11 4:44 p.m.
                             Re: This. (+ [mean] comments)davidfuchs 10/28/11 5:14 p.m.
                 Re: This. (+ [mean] comments)Quirel 10/30/11 2:49 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.