glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)
Posted By: Avateur <avateur@gmail.com>Date: 6/30/11 6:32 a.m.

In Response To: Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really) (Narcogen)

: Well, it was Bungie that failed to implement an apparently simple feature
: that they had already put into Marathon and Myth, but could not add to
: Halo 1 or Halo 2. I don't think there's any wriggle room here; either
: implementing the feature is non-trivial, or Bungie just didn't care or
: couldn't do it.

It probably wouldn't have been much of an issue to put into H1 or H2 (or maybe I'm totally wrong, who knows what the Xbox system allowed for). Maybe it literally did come down to them not wanting it in there or thinking no one would need it. Their previous games were for computer systems, and who ever heard of theater for console back then? And who knew Xbox Live would explode to where it is now? The fact of the matter is, that was ten years ago. In modern times, 800MS point ports of PC and N64 games manage to get this stuff in, and every Halo game that's been on an Xbox 360 console has had it. Whether they ran out of time or decided it wasn't going to be used or worth the money is another story.

: And no, they

: I know! It's almost like video games cost millions to make, or something.
: Crazy, huh? Damn capitalists.

Especially when the game is already pre-made for you and is guaranteed to sell millions of copies at $40 a pop each with new shiny graphics. I'm sure the returns will be more than enough to make up the initial costs (or maybe not, but then why would they ever decide to try and release this if it wasn't going to make them more money?).

: Maybe we'll never know. By the way, I

: I do not believe you have substantiated the claim that it is
: "doable". If you mean by that "this is a feat which is not
: physically impossible" then I'll accept that, but I think what is
: generally understood by that is much broader than that-- that it is, in
: fact, easy.

: Within the context of the decision to use the H1 engine natively, so as not
: to alter gameplay at all, I would suggest that the task of backporting
: Halo 3's film function to the Halo 1 engine is non-trivial, and therefore
: "not doable" within the context of that design choice. That is
: tantamount to saying that films should have been "doable" in
: Halo 1 and 2 because they were "doable" in Marathon and Myth--
: this does not follow.

That's a good point. Maybe they tried it and found out that there was some huge technical hurdle that couldn't be overcome in time for launch (or at all). They managed to overlay Reach's graphics engine and a toggle feature into the game and even managed to add online co-op into the mix when that was never an option, so I would like to think that with enough time and resources a theater mode could have been included. I'm not sure if they would have to try and create a brand new system for theater in H1 or if they could actually use theater mode as we see it in something like H3. Maybe this is just a straight up technical problem that just cannot happen. I wonder if they even tried to do it, though.

The Duke Nukem and Perfect Dark examples are simply there to show that in today's day and age these things can be done using games that are much more difficult to work with and at much cheaper costs (and even released for cheap XBLA prices). I would really like to hear the technical details behind why a theater mode could or couldn't be included in H1A or in a possible H2A, though. That would be nifty to learn about.

: I get that from the other threads, where many and sundry suggested I be more
: positive in response to the Halo 4 trailer, which I found lacking. So this
: simultaneously puts me in the position of defending 343i's design
: decisions with H1A as they seem to be based on good business sense, while
: strongly criticizing them with respect to Halo 4, as they seem to be based
: on a misapprehension of the source material (in my opinion). So somehow it
: is possible for me to be both horribly biased towards the developer, and
: against the ordinary gamer, with respect to one title, but horribly biased
: against the developer with respect to another. I find it amusing.

I'm not one of the people saying that. I clearly have my problems with H1A but am still excited for it and am fully ready to purchase it the day it comes out, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with 343 Industries in how they've handled it or in regards to many of the features they seem to be deciding to include or exclude. I don't even want or care about theater in this game but I do find it interesting that it's not included and would like to know why (from a technical standpoint if that's the actual case. If they didn't even try or someone decided it wasn't worth the money, all I can say is lol).

: The fact of the matter is that

: I again refute your assertion that it is "doable". The most
: "doable" way of doing this would be to port the H1/H2 content to
: the engines that support all the new features, not backport those features
: to the old engine. It is possible that the changes necessary in that
: engine to support that feature might impact gameplay. That being said,
: I've also already pointed out that I think it's odd that H1A supports
: online coop but not films, because in H3 the support of these two features
: were linked. Online coop is, presumably, being achieved by a technical
: method wholly separate from its implementation in Halo 3, which again
: makes it unlikely that the backporting of that mechanism from Halo 3 to
: Halo 1 is "doable" in any sense of the phrase except "not
: wholly impossible".

And almost makes one wonder why it wasn't backported if they had the ability to do so (or if they even considered doing it that way). But you're still right as I said up above, and you bring up excellent points. If there really are technical reasons for why this couldn't be included, I seriously would love to hear about them. I like having an understanding of how this stuff works, even in cases where I don't care if it's in the game or not. It's like when Bungie released those big Weekly Updates detailing BR spread (which I've never had a problem with and never got why people complained about it) or why theater couldn't rewind (or why Reach's theater can only be viewed by one person at a time). But if for they didn't even try theater or didn't even have technical problems, again, lol.

: Or I can take from Cody's posts

: With every new title, Bungie has raised the bar. H1A is not a new title, it
: is a port. Very often, new features do not get backported to old titles.

True, though that trend appears to be changing. Even Ocarina of Time 3D for the 3DS has new features and things, and Perfect Dark and Duke Nukem have already been mentioned plenty. I guess because this is Halo 1 we're talking about, I expect much more than for say a port of Sonic the Hedgehog 1. I expect more for what I perceive to be the best Halo game of them all. And also, old features usually aren't gutted when a game is ported (bye bye H1 multiplayer maps).

: Bungie thought theater was useful enough to add it after having two
: successful games without it. I think 343i understands the value of
: theater. I just don't think they could get return on the investment for it
: while keeping as much of the H1 engine intact as possible. In other words,
: it wasn't "doable" for any commercially sensible values of
: "doable". It would be "doable" for 343i to package
: each copy of H1A sold with a fresh, crisp $50 bill. I bet they could do
: it. It just wouldn't make any sense, and therefore isn't
: "doable" for any reasonable interpretation of the phrase,
: because it would make no sense to do it.

I wonder if they even tried it, though. This is all just one big curiosity for me right now since I don't really want or care about theater being in H1A or H2A. But considering everything you've brought up, I would really like to know if they tried it and if they did, what technical problems they faced. If it all comes down to the money and business side of things, well from a business standpoint they clearly made the correct decision. If they ran out of time and couldn't include it, well that's a pretty valid excuse. If they tried it and it just couldn't work, that's a valid excuse. If someone just decided that it wasn't worth the investment (that they'll easily make up and more in sales) and they never even gave it a shot (when for all we know it could work, especially considering the inclusion of online co-op), lol.

Message Index

Replies:

Haloversary saved filmsKermit 6/29/11 11:08 p.m.
     Re: Haloversary saved filmsGeneral Vagueness 6/29/11 11:12 p.m.
           Re: Haloversary saved filmsHyokin 6/29/11 11:17 p.m.
                 Re: Haloversary saved filmsDagoonite 6/30/11 12:01 a.m.
                       I hugged it....Chris101b 6/30/11 12:14 a.m.
                             Re: I hugged it....Dagoonite 6/30/11 12:42 a.m.
                                   which cutscene? *NM*kidtsunami 6/30/11 1:00 a.m.
                                         The worst cutsceneDagoonite 6/30/11 1:41 a.m.
     Re: I'm too sad to talk about it. *NM*Hedgemony 6/29/11 11:40 p.m.
     Re: Haloversary saved filmsFyreWulff 6/30/11 12:10 a.m.
           Re: Haloversary saved filmsKermit 6/30/11 12:17 a.m.
                 Re: Haloversary saved filmsFyreWulff 6/30/11 12:23 a.m.
     Re: Haloversary saved filmsCody Miller 6/30/11 12:18 a.m.
           Re: Haloversary saved filmsKermit 6/30/11 12:30 a.m.
           Re: Haloversary saved filmsNarcogen 6/30/11 1:16 a.m.
                 Re: Haloversary saved filmsCody Miller 6/30/11 2:21 a.m.
                       Re: Haloversary saved filmsNarcogen 6/30/11 4:31 a.m.
                             Re: Haloversary saved filmsCody Miller 6/30/11 6:08 p.m.
                 I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Avateur 6/30/11 4:06 a.m.
                       Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Narcogen 6/30/11 4:38 a.m.
                             Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Avateur 6/30/11 4:53 a.m.
                                   Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Narcogen 6/30/11 5:52 a.m.
                                         Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Avateur 6/30/11 6:32 a.m.
                                   Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Louis Wu 6/30/11 7:40 a.m.
                                         Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Avateur 6/30/11 7:44 a.m.
                                               Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Louis Wu 6/30/11 7:47 a.m.
                                         Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Cody Miller 6/30/11 5:57 p.m.
                                               Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Louis Wu 6/30/11 6:45 p.m.
                                                     Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Cody Miller 6/30/11 9:03 p.m.
     Re: Haloversary saved filmsCody Miller 6/30/11 12:21 a.m.
     Fight on, warriors! *IMG*uberfoop 6/30/11 1:12 a.m.
           Re: Fight on, warriors! *IMG*Narcogen 6/30/11 1:17 a.m.
                 Re: Fight on, warriors! *IMG*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/30/11 7:39 a.m.
     Re: Haloversary saved filmsHyokin 6/30/11 1:22 a.m.
           Re: Haloversary saved filmsNarcogen 6/30/11 4:41 a.m.
                 Re: Haloversary saved filmsKermit 6/30/11 7:38 a.m.
     I think you all know...RC Master 6/30/11 5:08 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.