glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 6/30/11 5:52 a.m.

In Response To: Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really) (Avateur)

: I didn't know we were talking about Bungie here, and I don't know how many
: times I saw people asking for theater and referring to Marathon in regards
: to H2 AND H3 (and they finally got what they wanted with H3).

Well, it was Bungie that failed to implement an apparently simple feature that they had already put into Marathon and Myth, but could not add to Halo 1 or Halo 2. I don't think there's any wriggle room here; either implementing the feature is non-trivial, or Bungie just didn't care or couldn't do it.

And no, they
: aren't idiots. Halo 2? Well we already know about the mess that was that
: game's production. 343 Industries? No. As you keep pointing out, it's
: almost as if this is all strictly from a business and money standpoint and
: someone somewhere decided that theater just wouldn't be worth it or
: wouldn't be used by a lot of people or who knows whatever amazing reason
: they decided not to include it.

I know! It's almost like video games cost millions to make, or something. Crazy, huh? Damn capitalists.

Maybe we'll never know. By the way, I
: totally and completely do not care about theater being in H1A or a
: possible H2A. I'm simply pointing out that it's quite doable and just
: another thing this game lacks. Would it have been cool to have?
: Absolutely. On a personal level though, I don't care in the least if it's
: there or not. :P

I do not believe you have substantiated the claim that it is "doable". If you mean by that "this is a feat which is not physically impossible" then I'll accept that, but I think what is generally understood by that is much broader than that-- that it is, in fact, easy.

Within the context of the decision to use the H1 engine natively, so as not to alter gameplay at all, I would suggest that the task of backporting Halo 3's film function to the Halo 1 engine is non-trivial, and therefore "not doable" within the context of that design choice. That is tantamount to saying that films should have been "doable" in Halo 1 and 2 because they were "doable" in Marathon and Myth-- this does not follow.

: Don't know where you're getting that from.

I get that from the other threads, where many and sundry suggested I be more positive in response to the Halo 4 trailer, which I found lacking. So this simultaneously puts me in the position of defending 343i's design decisions with H1A as they seem to be based on good business sense, while strongly criticizing them with respect to Halo 4, as they seem to be based on a misapprehension of the source material (in my opinion). So somehow it is possible for me to be both horribly biased towards the developer, and against the ordinary gamer, with respect to one title, but horribly biased against the developer with respect to another. I find it amusing.

The fact of the matter is that
: it's doable and that it's just another feature on top of multiplayer that
: they excluded for who knows what reason.

I again refute your assertion that it is "doable". The most "doable" way of doing this would be to port the H1/H2 content to the engines that support all the new features, not backport those features to the old engine. It is possible that the changes necessary in that engine to support that feature might impact gameplay. That being said, I've also already pointed out that I think it's odd that H1A supports online coop but not films, because in H3 the support of these two features were linked. Online coop is, presumably, being achieved by a technical method wholly separate from its implementation in Halo 3, which again makes it unlikely that the backporting of that mechanism from Halo 3 to Halo 1 is "doable" in any sense of the phrase except "not wholly impossible".

Or I can take from Cody's posts
: where he says that with every Bungie title the bar is raised whereas H1A
: appears to be mostly stagnant (in my opinion).

With every new title, Bungie has raised the bar. H1A is not a new title, it is a port. Very often, new features do not get backported to old titles.

: And no, 343 Industries absolutely does not and should not try to cater to
: every single individual and group that wants something. Odds are they
: didn't have enough time to include every thing they wanted to or thought
: would be cool in H1A. Unfortunately, I'd be willing to bet a large chunk
: of it all comes down to money and "letting the market decide"
: and everything else you've been talking about in regards to multiplayer,
: though. Someone might not have seen a need for theater. Maybe I'm wrong,
: but if it's that easy to throw multiplayer out when the maps are already
: there, it has to be even easier to throw theater out as an actual new
: addition to the game if it came up.

Bungie thought theater was useful enough to add it after having two successful games without it. I think 343i understands the value of theater. I just don't think they could get return on the investment for it while keeping as much of the H1 engine intact as possible. In other words, it wasn't "doable" for any commercially sensible values of "doable". It would be "doable" for 343i to package each copy of H1A sold with a fresh, crisp $50 bill. I bet they could do it. It just wouldn't make any sense, and therefore isn't "doable" for any reasonable interpretation of the phrase, because it would make no sense to do it.

rampancy.net

Message Index

Replies:

Haloversary saved filmsKermit 6/29/11 11:08 p.m.
     Re: Haloversary saved filmsGeneral Vagueness 6/29/11 11:12 p.m.
           Re: Haloversary saved filmsHyokin 6/29/11 11:17 p.m.
                 Re: Haloversary saved filmsDagoonite 6/30/11 12:01 a.m.
                       I hugged it....Chris101b 6/30/11 12:14 a.m.
                             Re: I hugged it....Dagoonite 6/30/11 12:42 a.m.
                                   which cutscene? *NM*kidtsunami 6/30/11 1:00 a.m.
                                         The worst cutsceneDagoonite 6/30/11 1:41 a.m.
     Re: I'm too sad to talk about it. *NM*Hedgemony 6/29/11 11:40 p.m.
     Re: Haloversary saved filmsFyreWulff 6/30/11 12:10 a.m.
           Re: Haloversary saved filmsKermit 6/30/11 12:17 a.m.
                 Re: Haloversary saved filmsFyreWulff 6/30/11 12:23 a.m.
     Re: Haloversary saved filmsCody Miller 6/30/11 12:18 a.m.
           Re: Haloversary saved filmsKermit 6/30/11 12:30 a.m.
           Re: Haloversary saved filmsNarcogen 6/30/11 1:16 a.m.
                 Re: Haloversary saved filmsCody Miller 6/30/11 2:21 a.m.
                       Re: Haloversary saved filmsNarcogen 6/30/11 4:31 a.m.
                             Re: Haloversary saved filmsCody Miller 6/30/11 6:08 p.m.
                 I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Avateur 6/30/11 4:06 a.m.
                       Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Narcogen 6/30/11 4:38 a.m.
                             Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Avateur 6/30/11 4:53 a.m.
                                   Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Narcogen 6/30/11 5:52 a.m.
                                         Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Avateur 6/30/11 6:32 a.m.
                                   Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Louis Wu 6/30/11 7:40 a.m.
                                         Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Avateur 6/30/11 7:44 a.m.
                                               Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Louis Wu 6/30/11 7:47 a.m.
                                         Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Cody Miller 6/30/11 5:57 p.m.
                                               Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Louis Wu 6/30/11 6:45 p.m.
                                                     Re: I'm about to blow your mind (not really)Cody Miller 6/30/11 9:03 p.m.
     Re: Haloversary saved filmsCody Miller 6/30/11 12:21 a.m.
     Fight on, warriors! *IMG*uberfoop 6/30/11 1:12 a.m.
           Re: Fight on, warriors! *IMG*Narcogen 6/30/11 1:17 a.m.
                 Re: Fight on, warriors! *IMG*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/30/11 7:39 a.m.
     Re: Haloversary saved filmsHyokin 6/30/11 1:22 a.m.
           Re: Haloversary saved filmsNarcogen 6/30/11 4:41 a.m.
                 Re: Haloversary saved filmsKermit 6/30/11 7:38 a.m.
     I think you all know...RC Master 6/30/11 5:08 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.