Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent Cartographer
Posted By: SonGoharotto <SonGoharotto@gmail.com>Date: 5/2/11 4:33 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent Cartographer (mc_leprechaun)

: I think the gauss hog this early is too much, Stick with the chain gun and
: leave the spectre out for reasons explained later.

I disagree. You get plenty of experience with Warthog-vs-infantry on the second level. Cartographer now features just a touch of vehicle combat, so since it's still early in the game, the Gauss Hog is helps the player feel like he's still in control of the battlefield.

AotCR steps it up with a Scorpion, then you have a couple interior levels with no vehicles, and Two Betrayals is mostly about tooling around in a Banshee. I also have plans for working in a mass battle towards the end, where the Rocket Hog will come into play.

This is the best spot to introduce the Gauss Hog. And since you mentioned getting the Hog up to the interior of the island, it would be possible to bring the Gauss Hog into the fight with the Phantom, instead of relying on the Hornet.

In fact, that might even be preferable on higher difficulty levels, because then you could actually take cover and make use of the extra Overshields lying around. I do put some thought into this, you know.

: Not a fan of the ghosts on the interior of the island (post hunter slaying) I
: never thought that area was big enough to serve vehicle combat. Even
: bringing the warthog up (as you can do with good driving) if you had
: reach's AI and the lack of turning space (there's a lot of trees there
: iirc) would mean for me that maybe a vehicle isn't the way to go. Ghosts
: would work I guess for a LASO speed run type situation but interesting
: idea for spicing up that section.

I'm operating under the assumption that most players won't go to the effort of trying to get a Hog to the interior of the island. (Yes, I've done it myself.) And having just played this level while doing the write up, I'm confident that a couple Ghosts would have plenty of room to maneuver.

You could also then take one of them back down the beach, if desired. Make sweet jumps off the hills and dunes.

: The engineers supplying sheilds inside the substation is a nice alternative
: to the hunters but I'd favour another elite or two for a challenge. One of
: the things that I loved about that section was the hunters and the fact
: the quarters are so close that one false move = splat!

That's something that can be modified with difficulty levels. Even though the transcripts seem to assume Heroic difficulty, I'm actually writing for Normal, where most first-time player start. Legendary and adding Skulls would increase the Covenant presence.

As to the Hunter encounter, that was a difficult cut to make. Fun fighting them in close quarters, but the Hunters in CE really were a bit of a joke, once you mastered the side-step/spinal-cap maneuver. By using the Reach version, which is a bit more formidable, I'm trying not to overuse them and make use of the expanded Covenant classes.

I felt the fight over the shaft plug was more interesting from a narrative standpoint, as you can see how the space lends itself to the idea of the other Covies themselves steering clear of Hunters.

: Bandaged elites? Doesn't feel right.. Might be better to give him a
: distinctive scarring on his armour or helmet like BSG's Scar

I think Zuka is mentioned as being bandaged in the book. Regardless, the point is to call attention to him being different. He has no lines, so being able to identify one particular Elite needs to be kind of obvious.

: You mention earlier that "The island is a rough circle, so whichever
: direction Master Chief drives in, he will soon encounter a Covenant patrol
: supported by a Spectre".. since you destroyed one earlier and you've
: been to the interior now.. where does the second come from? Drop ship?

I mean, driving from initial LZ, where your Marines are camped. Most people will probably keep driving ahead from the beach assault, encountering the infantry (and now a Spectre) in that are with the big boulders. But if the player chooses to drive back the way you came, they will encounter the Covenant at the copse of trees, again supported by a Spectre. It's one group or the other. The encounter after that will be at the Cartographer's installation.

As for additional troops, there's always been a Spirit buzzing around the island. That eventually gets shot down by the Hornets.

: You
: have a phantom appearing later I'd stick with that personally and maybe
: beef up the patrol investigating bravo 022 to a major elite and or maybe
: spec ops.

SpecsOps Elites are only really a threat in close quarters, so I'm trying to save them for places where it makes sense they'd be. Besides, an invisible guy with a sword isn't much threat to a Warthog. A fully-loaded Spectre, however, can be.

: Not feeling the shotgun here if I'm honest.

Bravo 022 was bringing gear for getting into the installation. Ordinance for blowing through security doors, if necessary, and shotguns for dealing with Covies in what is expected to be close-quarters.

Since I'm using what is primarily H:R's weapon set, there are more to chose from than in CE, so I have to space out the introductions of new weapons differently.

I did, in retrospect, think that a Grenade Launcher would be awesome in that area, but I think I'll save that for later. It would definitely shine when it comes to fighting Sentinels.

: I miss the hunters at the entrance to the installation.. I can see how the
: gauss hog would be useful in this situation but you have heavy ordinance
: so I think I'd stick with the chain gun variant :)

Can't use a Rocket Launcher if you're driving.

Again, it comes down to not overexposing the Hunters. And this way, you still get a close-quarters fight with them to make up for removing them at the security substation.

: Once inside maybe use skirmishers instead of drones.. (I'm assuming I don't
: have the shotgun from above) you don't want to be shooting sitting ducks
: now do you?).

I've chosen to leave Skirmishers out of H[R] for mostly the same reasons as leaving out the Brutes. They are effective shock troops, but would have been largely committed to the siege of Reach. However, it is conceivable that the fleet would still have some Drone laborers, who happen to be ideal for scouting and excavating Forerunner installation.

Sublevel three of the Cartographer installation has a large, open middle area, while the ramps up afford lots of cover. Great place for Drone hunting, or even just running past them if you wish. (Talking about speed runs; saving the Active Camo here for your exit means you can skip a large portion of this.)

: I'd skip the hornet section to be honest..

Well, it's a good thing you're not writing this, eh? ;)

This is one of the few levels where you can fly unrestricted. The canyons in AotCR and Two Betrayals are very constraining for dog fights and will be even more so given the heightened maneuverability of H:R-style Banshees.

: Overall I think that the aim of the excercise to tweak things a little has
: gone a little beyond that here on this level and I for one would be
: cautious of playing with this too much as this level consistently features
: highly on the "all time favourite halo level" lists..

See, you're assuming I'm just trying to "tweak" things. I stated at the beginning that this is a remake with the aims of incorporating elements from later games in the franchise, new vehicles and styles of combat included. There are going to be bigger changes than this, believe you me. =D

Halo Reach Service Record

Message Index

Replies:

Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent CartographerSonGoharotto 5/1/11 9:07 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent CartographerZackDark 5/1/11 9:35 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent CartographerSonGoharotto 5/1/11 9:38 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent CartographerStephen L. (SoundEffect) 5/1/11 10:08 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent CartographerSonGoharotto 5/2/11 3:41 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent Cartographeruberfoop 5/1/11 11:38 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent CartographerZackDark 5/1/11 11:44 p.m.
                 Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent Cartographeruberfoop 5/1/11 11:49 p.m.
                       Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent CartographerZackDark 5/2/11 12:11 a.m.
                             Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent Cartographeruberfoop 5/2/11 12:17 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent CartographerMoorpheusl9 5/2/11 9:31 a.m.
                                         Where on the Halo is Captain Keyes?SonGoharotto 5/2/11 4:43 p.m.
                                               Re: Where on the Halo is Captain Keyes?Leisandir 5/2/11 5:01 p.m.
                                                     Re: Where on the Halo is Captain Keyes?SonGoharotto 5/2/11 5:14 p.m.
                                                           Re: Where on the Halo is Captain Keyes?Leisandir 5/2/11 5:32 p.m.
                                               Re: Where on the Halo is Captain Keyes?uberfoop 5/2/11 6:34 p.m.
                                                     On the other hand.uberfoop 5/2/11 6:42 p.m.
                                                           Re: On the other hand.SonGoharotto 5/2/11 8:39 p.m.
                                                     Re: Where on the Halo is Captain Keyes?SonGoharotto 5/2/11 8:39 p.m.
                                                           They thought it was a weapons cache. *NM*Leisandir 5/2/11 11:07 p.m.
                                               Re: Where on the Halo is Captain Keyes?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 5/2/11 6:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: Where on the Halo is Captain Keyes?SonGoharotto 5/2/11 8:42 p.m.
                 Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent CartographerLeisandir 5/2/11 4:04 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent Cartographermc_leprechaun 5/2/11 8:37 a.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Silent CartographerSonGoharotto 5/2/11 4:33 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.