Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: ITT : Missing the point
Posted By: MercuryDate: 7/31/09 6:15 p.m.

In Response To: Re: ITT : Missing the point (Tighclops)

: Not all western animation is about realism and being lifelike, so your point
: is moot. I am aware of the cultural differences that gave rise to the
: anime style, that should not excuse it's numerous and it's disappointingly
: common flaws.

: You are however correct that I'm biased. I am biased against tripe in
: general.

See, the problem with your argument isn't the content. It's that it's more than halfway on its way to trolling.

-"it's numerous and it's disappointingly common flaws."
-"tripe in general."
-"The difference [between Pokemon and the so called "good stuff."] is insignificant, unfortunately.
-"After so many examples of awful anime..."
-"so consistently overrated and outright terrible looking."
-"It's all awful."
-"the overriding "animeness" of it all, which on several occasions I've found notably unfortunate."
-"Anime is never a good thing."

None of these are reasonably stated arguments. (opinions, yes, arguments, no.) They're circular, all inclusive, and extreme. "Anime is terrible because it's anime" is the only consistent substance of your argument.

"Even the "high end" stuff inexplicably manages an aura of cheapness that other high quality animation avoids" ...This is the only point I've seen you make that seems to bely some reason for your stance, and it's barely an argument, and overwhelmingly undersupported. People here latched onto that statement, with responses about culture, etc. and you respond by indirectly insulting the culture as a whole. Style inherited culture -> Style is inherently flawed. What does that say about your opinion of the culture that produced it?

That's all fine when stated as an opinion, but you like stating it as if it's a fact. All those "friends" who want to show you "super cute" anime should feel offended, since your stance is downright condescending toward someone who actually likes it.

I think I've been in here defending anime, not because I think it's so great, but because people come in here maligning an entire massive body of work, and don't throw in a lot of IMO's. To them, it's an undeniable fact that these are inferior productions that inferior minds can enjoy. The lack of perspective is unbelievable. "If you don't like it, don't watch it" has been said over and over, but it's more along the lines of, "if you don't have anything good to say..."

Someone is going to enjoy these shorts. The people making them, are making something they like. Bungie does the same. If you don't like an anime studio's interpretation of Halo, will that mean you don't like Bungie's interpretation any more?

Message Index

Replies:

Told ya so...Littlebigman 7/30/09 1:46 p.m.
     Re: Told ya so...ManKitten 7/30/09 2:02 p.m.
     You takin action on that...?stan 7/30/09 2:02 p.m.
           Re: You takin action on that...?kanbo 7/30/09 4:27 p.m.
     Re: Told ya so...Vincent 7/30/09 2:26 p.m.
     Re: Told ya so...Hunt3r 7/30/09 3:16 p.m.
     Re: Told ya so...sketchfactor 7/30/09 3:43 p.m.
           Re: Told ya so...DarkSky Forever 7/30/09 3:44 p.m.
           Re: Told ya so...Dojorkan 7/30/09 3:48 p.m.
                 Re: Told ya so...sketchfactor 7/30/09 3:52 p.m.
                       Re: Told ya so...Avateur 7/30/09 5:27 p.m.
                             Re: Told ya so...sketchfactor 7/30/09 6:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Told ya so...mehve 7/31/09 3:35 a.m.
                                         !!! *NM*Littlebigman 7/31/09 11:20 a.m.
                                         I definitely typed 'hearts' Mehve.. hmm. *NM*Littlebigman 7/31/09 11:21 a.m.
                                               read moar.Louis Wu 7/31/09 11:36 a.m.
           Re: Told ya so...Littlebigman 7/30/09 3:54 p.m.
                 Re: Told ya so...Louis Wu 7/30/09 4:28 p.m.
                       Re: Told ya so...El Presidente81 7/30/09 5:10 p.m.
                             Re: Told ya so...Mercury 7/30/09 6:26 p.m.
                             Re: Told ya so...Louis Wu 7/30/09 7:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Told ya so...ev7rett 7/30/09 7:38 p.m.
                                         Re: Told ya so...ev7rett 7/30/09 7:52 p.m.
                                   Holy Damn *NM*kanbo 7/30/09 8:39 p.m.
                       Re: Told ya so...Narcogen 7/31/09 6:49 a.m.
     Re: Told ya so...DarkSky Forever 7/30/09 3:44 p.m.
     I have no doubts that it will be a good anime...Vandle Valsher 7/30/09 4:20 p.m.
           Re: I have no doubts that it will be a good anime.Tighclops 7/30/09 4:59 p.m.
                 Re: I have no doubts that it will be a good anime.Dojorkan 7/30/09 5:01 p.m.
                 Re: I have no doubts that it will be a good anime.Gravemind 7/30/09 6:01 p.m.
                       Re: I have no doubts that it will be a good anime.obsidiankitten 7/31/09 12:56 a.m.
                             Re: I have no doubts that it will be a good anime.Tighclops 7/31/09 3:08 p.m.
                                   Re: I have no doubts that it will be a good anime.Omega 7/31/09 3:47 p.m.
                                         Re: I have no doubts that it will be a good anime.Tighclops 7/31/09 4:21 p.m.
                                               Re: I have no doubts that it will be a good anime.Gravemind 7/31/09 10:47 p.m.
                                                     This reminds me of an AMV I saw several years ago.Hikaru-119 8/1/09 11:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: This reminds me of an AMV I saw several years General Vagueness 8/2/09 12:18 p.m.
                                                                 Re: This reminds me of an AMV I saw several yearsHikaru-119 8/2/09 3:14 p.m.
                                                                       Re: This reminds me of an AMV I saw several yearsGravemind 8/2/09 4:57 p.m.
                                   Re: I have no doubts that it will be a good anime.Mercury 7/31/09 3:50 p.m.
                                   ITT : Missing the pointKaragara 7/31/09 5:07 p.m.
                                         Re: ITT : Missing the pointTighclops 7/31/09 5:28 p.m.
                                               Re: ITT : Missing the pointMercury 7/31/09 6:15 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.