Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: The Rock says it doesn't matter if CoD4 is on
Posted By: Gravemind <kuukan_no_kage@yahoo.com>Date: 4/9/08 1:10 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The Rock says it doesn't matter if CoD4 is on (Eiii)

: Disclaimer: I've only played COD4 on the PC, so maybe it sucks on the 360. I
: wouldn't know.

My beef with CoD4 is that it's just CoD2 with a modern-day paintjob. Aside from a few new gadgets (night vision, Ghillies suit), there's no improvements to gameplay. Most of the stages feel the same. There's still the problem infinitely-respawning bad guys. Also, the weapon selection is awful. 90% of the guns are the same goddamn weapon. It's like Infinity Ward took the CoD2 Thompson and skinned it to look like a variety of modern assault rifles & SMGs that are all functionally identical. Aside from a glut of full-auto spray weapons (couldn't they have at least put a select-fire switch on them?), there's a few token sniper rifles & shotguns. There's only like one semi-auto gun in the game, but it's only in multiplayer and you have to unlock it (by ranking up, of course). CoD2 had a better weapon selection: semi-auto rifles, bolt-action rifles, light machine guns, SMGs, sniper rifles, and (in MP only) a shotgun.

CoD4 doesn't do anything to impress me. Everything it does, CoD2 did better 2 years prior. All this stuff people go on about with its multiplayer component doesn't impress me. The Campaign is hit-or-miss. I liked the Ghillies suit mission, but most of the others reminded too much of the worst parts of CoD2's Campaign (for example, endless waves of enemies pouring out of every building, requiring you to advance, get in the building, and clear it out to stop the tide). I get bored very quickly with this game.

: Halo 3 is the only shooter
: I've really played on a console, and I often curse the 360's
: awful-for-shooting controls.

Hm. Until recently, I hadn't played a PC shooter since Quake. That was fun, and the controls were still relatively simple back then (like Doom, IIRC, except you could look up or down now). After that, my shooter experience was limited to Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Halo 1 & 2. Even now, I've only played a couple of recent PC shooters, but the whole mouse & keyboard thing I couldn't get into. Gamepads feel so much more natural, though that should be expected since I grew up on consoles and arcades, and hardly ever played PC games. It's a good thing gamepad support is standard for many recent PC games.

: For those who play on the PC, gaming is at an all-time-high right now (or it
: was a few months ago). Lotsa great shooters, several fantastic RTSes...
: I'm pretty happy. :)

Yeah. I played Crysis at a friend's house, and it's awesome (well, the Campaign is at least; I haven't played MP yet). Like me, he can't get used to mouse & keyboard controls, so he got one of those 360 controllers made just for computers. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a good computer soon to play some of these more recent games. Starcraft 2 looks awesome.

http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

Message Index

Replies:

COD 4 once again tops the chartsSPARTAN 294 4/8/08 8:02 p.m.
     Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartsEiii 4/8/08 8:23 p.m.
           Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartsRaulboy 4/9/08 1:02 a.m.
     Can we just stop?kanbo 4/8/08 8:26 p.m.
           No kidding. *NM*Crackshot53 4/8/08 9:26 p.m.
           Idea...gunluva 4/8/08 10:30 p.m.
     Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartsPsychophan7 4/8/08 8:48 p.m.
           Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartsxMixMasterx 4/8/08 9:24 p.m.
                 Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartskanbo 4/8/08 9:40 p.m.
                       Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartsxMixMasterx 4/8/08 9:47 p.m.
                             Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartskanbo 4/8/08 10:32 p.m.
                 Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartsAnEternalEnigma 4/9/08 12:01 p.m.
                       Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartsxMixMasterx 4/9/08 3:25 p.m.
                             Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartsBry 4/9/08 8:03 p.m.
           Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartselpolloguapo 4/8/08 9:51 p.m.
           Re: COD 4 once again tops the chartsCody Miller 4/8/08 10:32 p.m.
     The Rock says it doesn't matter if CoD4 is on top!Gravemind 4/9/08 12:53 a.m.
           Re: The Rock says it doesn't matter if CoD4 is on Avateur 4/9/08 1:14 a.m.
           Re: The Rock says it doesn't matter if CoD4 is onVVM 4/9/08 1:38 a.m.
                 Re: The Rock says it doesn't matter if CoD4 is onAvateur 4/9/08 1:50 a.m.
           Re: The Rock says it doesn't matter if CoD4 is onEiii 4/9/08 3:13 a.m.
                 Re: The Rock says it doesn't matter if CoD4 is onGravemind 4/9/08 3:38 a.m.
                       Re: The Rock says it doesn't matter if CoD4 is onEiii 4/9/08 4:17 a.m.
                             Re: The Rock says it doesn't matter if CoD4 is onAvateur 4/9/08 5:36 a.m.
                             Re: The Rock says it doesn't matter if CoD4 is onGravemind 4/9/08 1:10 p.m.
           Wait a gulldurned minute...stan 4/9/08 8:41 a.m.
                 Re: Wait a gulldurned minute...Gravemind 4/9/08 1:26 p.m.
     COD4 fans irritate me.Jordan117 4/9/08 1:40 a.m.
           Re: COD4 fans irritate me.elpolloguapo 4/9/08 6:30 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.