Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

We answer to Nathan, Sir!
Posted By: Dispatcher <madmacs@excite.com>Date: 9/8/00 1:02 a.m.

In Response To: Re: K-Mart comes to mind. (Dan Rudolph)

> I think none. The playstation started as a CD add-on for SNES,
> but Nintendo flaked on them when the Sega CD flopped.

> Epic is a word frequently used in MGS reviews. It's very
> movieish. If you had played it, you woud be in awe. It comes up
> at the top of best games on the Playstation almost without
> exception.

Hmmm. Two of my nephews (adults) are very much into PSX and PS2 titles. They've never indicated this to me, although they have asked me to try out other titles that they own or have rented. Must be individual preferences.

> Not to say it will be a whole lot like Halo, but both are sci-fi
> epics with a console version first, then a PC version that rely
> on production values, story and cinematography, make use of
> voice, and are sequels to a series that hasn't had a new game in
> a while.

> Clearly games can sell with an M rating if they're aimed at an
> older audience.

True enough. Perhaps MS will try a shotgun approach using the multiple titles, rather than the Teen rating I would go for on each title to debut with the XBox.

> How are movie ratings divided up more? The way I see it, M is
> equivelant to R,

I would like to see an intermediate rating similar to PG-13.

and unlike the movie industry, video game
> ratings are explained on the back.

Yes, like a reviewer's summary. I wonder if anyone reads them? :)

> Just like hardly anyone makes R-rated movies due to similar
> restrictions.

You are missing my point. Although a lot of people view R rated flicks (including some very successful features) and a visible majority of producers/directors/studios opt for content that qualifies it for that rating, well made products with wider audience appeal can be very successful. The example I will use here is OLD, but it sticks out in my mind. I cite "Chariots of Fire" as an incredible success that garnered critical acclaim as well as box-office success. It was rated PG. My own opinion is that those who follow the crowd (in producing content) may be successful, but those who choose to lead in other directions may exceed the successes of their peers.

> I think Bungie's headed for an M with this one. Every game
> they've ever made that got rated got an M.

No arguement there. To me, it gets back to the validity of the rating system. IMO the Marathons and Myths deserved a Teen rating rather than an M 17+.

I think we simply have a fundamental difference of opinion as to which rating(s) should apply to the M$/BS (and other M$) titles when they roll out with the XBox, and thus to some extent the expression of the content of those titles. I'll state that I think that the truly creative content producers do not have to align themselves with a particular rating, even if it is popular to do so. Further, if the XBox already had a large market share, I would think that the ratings of its titles would not be a significant factor in M$ marketing and content decisions. I have simply answered Nathan's question as I would. You have another point of view and I would consider what you have said as your answer to Nathan, albeit further down in the thread.

Dispatcher

Message Index

Replies:

Halo on PC or not?Dark Assassin 9/6/00 11:56 a.m.
     Yup.nexZ 9/6/00 12:03 p.m.
           WILL PEOPLE STOP ASKING THIS!!!!!(NT)Black Knight 9/6/00 1:01 p.m.
     Re: Halo on PC or not?dilbert 9/6/00 12:11 p.m.
     Re: Halo on PC or not?Nathan E. Bitner 9/6/00 1:55 p.m.
           Re: Halo on PC or not?mattd 9/6/00 2:20 p.m.
                 Thread on Gore - Not the VeepNathan E. Bitner 9/6/00 3:35 p.m.
                       YES! REAPPLY!nexZ 9/6/00 3:52 p.m.
                             Re: YES! REAPPLY!Matt 9/6/00 5:51 p.m.
                                   Re: SOON™Dispatcher 9/6/00 6:10 p.m.
                                         Re: SOON™Matt 9/6/00 6:50 p.m.
                                               Re: SOON™Ape Man 9/6/00 7:23 p.m.
                                   Re: YES! REAPPLY!Frost 9/6/00 6:46 p.m.
                                   Re: YES! REAPPLY!Ape Man 9/6/00 7:32 p.m.
                                   Give it up, give it UP.Forensic 9/6/00 11:59 p.m.
                       Apparently I gave the wrong impression.mattd 9/6/00 6:32 p.m.
                 Re: Halo on PC or not?Dark Assassin 9/7/00 10:02 a.m.
           Re: Halo on PC or not?Dan Rudolph 9/6/00 4:01 p.m.
                 Re: Halo on PC or not?Nathan E. Bitner 9/6/00 4:57 p.m.
                       Re: Halo on PC or not?Dan Rudolph 9/6/00 5:40 p.m.
                       Re: Halo on PC or not?dilbert 9/7/00 9:13 a.m.
                             Re: Halo on PC or not?Dude 9/7/00 11:43 a.m.
                 Re: Halo on PC or not? [slightly off topic]Carth 9/7/00 1:58 p.m.
                       Re: Halo on PC or not? [slightly off topic]Dan Rudolph 9/7/00 2:02 p.m.
                             Re: Halo on PC or not? [slightly off topic]Carth 9/7/00 2:10 p.m.
           Content vs. Exercise of ControlDispatcher 9/7/00 12:12 p.m.
                 Re: Content vs. Exercise of ControlDan Rudolph 9/7/00 2:05 p.m.
                       Re: HardlyDispatcher 9/7/00 2:41 p.m.
                             Re: HardlyDan Rudolph 9/7/00 4:44 p.m.
                                   K-Mart comes to mind.Dispatcher 9/7/00 8:00 p.m.
                                         PSXForensic 9/7/00 8:17 p.m.
                                               Ahhh.Dispatcher 9/7/00 8:50 p.m.
                                               well actually...*mixy 9/8/00 3:38 p.m.
                                         Re: K-Mart comes to mind.Dan Rudolph 9/7/00 9:53 p.m.
                                               We answer to Nathan, Sir!Dispatcher 9/8/00 1:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: We answer to Nathan, Sir!Dan Rudolph 9/8/00 8:58 a.m.
                                                           Answering to Dan: who needs Nathan?Dispatcher 9/8/00 11:31 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Answering to Dan: who needs Nathan?Dan Rudolph 9/8/00 1:15 p.m.
                                                                       U.S. Open 2000: Rated T?Dispatcher 9/8/00 2:42 p.m.
                                                                             Re: U.S. Open 2000: Rated T?Dan Rudolph 9/8/00 3:58 p.m.
                                         Re: K-Mart comes to mind.carthag 9/8/00 6:19 a.m.
                                               Re: K-Mart comes to mind.Dan Rudolph 9/8/00 9:04 a.m.
                                                     Re: K-Mart comes to mind.Carth 9/8/00 10:36 a.m.
                                                           Re: K-Mart comes to mind.Dan Rudolph 9/8/00 11:37 a.m.
           If it looks good it is good.Desio 9/7/00 3:47 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.