Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

K-Mart comes to mind.
Posted By: Dispatcher <madmacs@excite.com>Date: 9/7/00 8:00 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Hardly (Dan Rudolph)

> In that case, there's Resident Evil for Playstation. PSX had
> only been out a few months at that point, and Resident Evil was
> a big system seller.

What presence, if any, did Sony have in the Console market prior to the PSX? Just curious.

> Yes, but some people are going to think of Halo as crap too. You
> can't please everyone.

True. Yet I think Halo does stand to attain to "Scifi Epic" status. What little of Metal Gear Solid and Mortal Kombat I have seen (or watched on the movie screen) or read about ever evoked any feelings of awe in me. But to each their own.

> Metal Gear Solid had this, as did (argueably) Mortal Kombat,
> though it wasn't a selling point for the latter.

I defer to your knowledge here.

> Metal Gear Solid didn't rely on shock value to sell. In fact,
> there's very little in the way of gore. Nothing that you
> couldn't get away with in a T. It got an M for adult themes.

I was generalizing here. The heart of the matter was that an M 17+ rating would be slapped on a product, regardless of the cause being gore, adult themes or whatever.

> Playstation has had quite a few of those games, many rated M.
> Hard as it may be for a fan boy to accept, Bungie isn't the only
> company to make such games. The follwing are M rated games that
> did not use gore as their sole selling point that sold over 1
> million copies:

> Metal Gear Solid
> Resident Evil
> Resident Evil 2
> Resident Evil 3
> Silent Hill
> Diablo

> I'm not sure, but the Turok series may qualify, as may
> Xenogears.

Sure. I will add that I feel that the rating system will always be flawed. In fact, I think that ratings alone fail to describe a product. My favorite examples are the Myths. Regardless of rating (in this case M 17+) I find nothing wrong with Myth I or II in the hands of children or families. Despite flying, smoking flesh, Bungie handled it in a way that makes it almost comical. More importantly, one must take the content in context with the theme and storyline. In the solo campaign, one is playing the role of do-gooder ordering do-gooder sprites to defend the masses from the evil dead or non-human creatures. I would not have given the M rating to the Myths, even if a NoBlood option were not available. I think that the M rating is too broad and ought to be divided up more on a par with movie ratings. But that's just my opinion.

> Doesn't that contradict what you said earlier, that keeping Halo
> to a T would broaden the audience?

Fill me in here. As an aside, I just saw a newsbyte where K-Mart has announced that it will post ratings and require ID for sales of M 17+ titles. Don't be surprised if some other retailers follow suit. It might be much easier for Microsoft to avoid all the potential losses, hassle and backlash associated with the subject by avoiding the M 17+ rating. I hope Bungie can pull it off without feeling the oppressive stranglehold clutching their creativity.

Anyway, I doubt we'll see
> Microsoft taking an early-nineties-Nintendo approach to what
> they approve. We all know what happened to Nintendo.

Who? :)

Dispatcher

Message Index

Replies:

Halo on PC or not?Dark Assassin 9/6/00 11:56 a.m.
     Yup.nexZ 9/6/00 12:03 p.m.
           WILL PEOPLE STOP ASKING THIS!!!!!(NT)Black Knight 9/6/00 1:01 p.m.
     Re: Halo on PC or not?dilbert 9/6/00 12:11 p.m.
     Re: Halo on PC or not?Nathan E. Bitner 9/6/00 1:55 p.m.
           Re: Halo on PC or not?mattd 9/6/00 2:20 p.m.
                 Thread on Gore - Not the VeepNathan E. Bitner 9/6/00 3:35 p.m.
                       YES! REAPPLY!nexZ 9/6/00 3:52 p.m.
                             Re: YES! REAPPLY!Matt 9/6/00 5:51 p.m.
                                   Re: SOON™Dispatcher 9/6/00 6:10 p.m.
                                         Re: SOON™Matt 9/6/00 6:50 p.m.
                                               Re: SOON™Ape Man 9/6/00 7:23 p.m.
                                   Re: YES! REAPPLY!Frost 9/6/00 6:46 p.m.
                                   Re: YES! REAPPLY!Ape Man 9/6/00 7:32 p.m.
                                   Give it up, give it UP.Forensic 9/6/00 11:59 p.m.
                       Apparently I gave the wrong impression.mattd 9/6/00 6:32 p.m.
                 Re: Halo on PC or not?Dark Assassin 9/7/00 10:02 a.m.
           Re: Halo on PC or not?Dan Rudolph 9/6/00 4:01 p.m.
                 Re: Halo on PC or not?Nathan E. Bitner 9/6/00 4:57 p.m.
                       Re: Halo on PC or not?Dan Rudolph 9/6/00 5:40 p.m.
                       Re: Halo on PC or not?dilbert 9/7/00 9:13 a.m.
                             Re: Halo on PC or not?Dude 9/7/00 11:43 a.m.
                 Re: Halo on PC or not? [slightly off topic]Carth 9/7/00 1:58 p.m.
                       Re: Halo on PC or not? [slightly off topic]Dan Rudolph 9/7/00 2:02 p.m.
                             Re: Halo on PC or not? [slightly off topic]Carth 9/7/00 2:10 p.m.
           Content vs. Exercise of ControlDispatcher 9/7/00 12:12 p.m.
                 Re: Content vs. Exercise of ControlDan Rudolph 9/7/00 2:05 p.m.
                       Re: HardlyDispatcher 9/7/00 2:41 p.m.
                             Re: HardlyDan Rudolph 9/7/00 4:44 p.m.
                                   K-Mart comes to mind.Dispatcher 9/7/00 8:00 p.m.
                                         PSXForensic 9/7/00 8:17 p.m.
                                               Ahhh.Dispatcher 9/7/00 8:50 p.m.
                                               well actually...*mixy 9/8/00 3:38 p.m.
                                         Re: K-Mart comes to mind.Dan Rudolph 9/7/00 9:53 p.m.
                                               We answer to Nathan, Sir!Dispatcher 9/8/00 1:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: We answer to Nathan, Sir!Dan Rudolph 9/8/00 8:58 a.m.
                                                           Answering to Dan: who needs Nathan?Dispatcher 9/8/00 11:31 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Answering to Dan: who needs Nathan?Dan Rudolph 9/8/00 1:15 p.m.
                                                                       U.S. Open 2000: Rated T?Dispatcher 9/8/00 2:42 p.m.
                                                                             Re: U.S. Open 2000: Rated T?Dan Rudolph 9/8/00 3:58 p.m.
                                         Re: K-Mart comes to mind.carthag 9/8/00 6:19 a.m.
                                               Re: K-Mart comes to mind.Dan Rudolph 9/8/00 9:04 a.m.
                                                     Re: K-Mart comes to mind.Carth 9/8/00 10:36 a.m.
                                                           Re: K-Mart comes to mind.Dan Rudolph 9/8/00 11:37 a.m.
           If it looks good it is good.Desio 9/7/00 3:47 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.