Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologram
Posted By: ThorsHammer <Nate4D@aol.com>Date: 9/25/03 9:05 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologram (Infininja)

: I wish you hadn't said that.

: Sorry to inform you, but the Control Room Halo hologram repeats textures, and
: included in that is repeated symbols, like your little pink one, which
: points to the same spot on each repeated texture every time. I just
: checked.

Well, I had actually just checked it out too, and I came to the conclusion that it didn't repeat textures, but hey, what the heck, I could well be wrong. I am definitely not a pro; if you've done four animated shorts and textured everything in them by hand using Photoshop, you probably know just as much, or maybe more, about texturing than I do (Yes, my animation projects all sucked royally, but I did do them, and I'd like to think I learned something from them).

It would be nice to hear some evidence that the textures are repeated, like "That one set of clouds shows up three times on the ring", or "The major continental masses are all the same shape, just flipped or rotated", instead of "I checked." I checked too, but that's not proof that I'm right. My evidence for concluding that the textures weren't repeated was:

(1) The small holograms don't always point to the same location; some are placed over clouds, some over clear land, and some over water.

(2) The locations of the holograms are all wrong, if they point to the same spot in the repeated textures; some parts of the ring don't have any for quite a ways, while in other places, there are two close enough together that a sniper on 10x zoom can fit them both on the same screen.

(3) Although some of the textures do appear to be reused (particularly one cloud formation over open water, which I believe appears twice; it can be hard to tell, and I'm not too good at it, as I may have mentioned), the overall impression you get is not one of a "cookie cutter" copy/paste/copy/pasted texturing job, which is what I mean when I say "repeated texturing"; you may well mean something else, though.

(4) In checking out the landmasses, I was not able to find any pieces that looked exactly like one another (Although, I only spent ten minutes checking the ring, so there's a good chance that I missed a lot). Some are similar to others, definitely, but I would argue that it's not really a repeated texture unless it's the exact same texture.

You may well be right, and, I should admit, given my average level of intelligence, you probably are.

And, I suppose I should shut up, since it doesn't really matter all that much anyway; I just thought that someone on the forum might like to know about this, since I've not seen it mentioned in the time I've lurked here. :-)

Hopefully not offending you, and apologizing if I have,

Nate

Message Index

Replies:

Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramThorsHammer 9/25/03 3:10 a.m.
     Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramLouis Wu 9/25/03 11:32 a.m.
           Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramFork Me With A Spoon 9/25/03 3:08 p.m.
           Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramThorsHammer 9/25/03 5:55 p.m.
     Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramInfininja 9/25/03 4:17 p.m.
           Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramThorsHammer 9/25/03 6:04 p.m.
                 Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramInfininja 9/25/03 6:10 p.m.
                       Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramThorsHammer 9/25/03 6:39 p.m.
                             Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramInfininja 9/25/03 7:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramThorsHammer 9/25/03 9:05 p.m.
                                         Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramInfininja 9/25/03 9:39 p.m.
                                         Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramLouis Wu 9/26/03 9:58 a.m.
                                               Re: Forerunner symbols/Halo hologramThorsHammer 9/28/03 12:12 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.