/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Timelines... (DUNE!?)
Posted By: LocuciousDate: 5/14/01 3:04 p.m.

In Response To: DespairRageEnvyAyeMakSicur(DREAMS?) (Vegman7)

: Has anyone wondered what it would mean if the Jjaro had time travel abilities?

I thought for sure they did. Or wait, the Marathon marine could jump timestreams after the Jjaro had found him. Perhaps there was something particularly special about the fusion of the Jjaro and the marine...

Wait a second. That reminds me of Dune! Bear with me here while I try to explain this, I don't know very few of the terms used in the book...

You remember that little girl at the end, who was essentially perfect and all-powerful? She could predict the future, and even alter it, right? She was the child of a mother who was specifically engineered to produce her race's most advanced offspring. The mother's first son (the guy who became Moa'Deip or whatever his name was and came to lead the desert tribe) turned out to not be the perfect being, so her second child became the perfect one. Furthermore, the mother became the desert people's spiritual entity (or medicine woman, or whatever the term was) while she was pregnant with the girl. In order to keep the girl from dying while she was transformed, she had to take her in and teach her all the secrets she was learning while she was becoming the medicine woman. So essentially, the girl was the epitamy of a race's genetic and technological advances, and the highest mortal spiritual being of another race, and had become so at birth. Thus, she was almost infinitely powerful.

(Oh boy, I'm sorry for such a vague and confused description. I don't know any of the terms from memory. Sorry for you people who haven't read the book or seen the movie before, I probably totally lost you...)

Anyway, doesn't that sound reminiscent of the marine? He was the tenth cyborg, the largest part of the "total destructive power of mankind." He was the most advanced and powerful creation of the humans. Then, he fused with the Jjaro and became the highest incarnation of them. No wonder he's so powerful, hmm?

(If you followed me through all that, I commend you. If only I could transplant thoughts without having to convert to language first, then you would fully understand what I mean.)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

DespairRageEnvyAyeMakSicur(DREAMS?)Vegman7 5/14/01 1:58 p.m.
     Re: DespairRageEnvyAyeMakSicur(DREAMS?)Jacke 5/14/01 2:27 p.m.
           Re: DespairRageEnvyAyeMakSicur(DREAMS?)archon 5/14/01 2:52 p.m.
           Re: DespairRageEnvyAyeMakSicur(DREAMS?)Son of Grd'nl 5/14/01 3:48 p.m.
                 Re: DespairRageEnvyAyeMakSicur(DREAMS?)Doctordude 5/14/01 3:58 p.m.
                       Re: DespairRageEnvyAyeMakSicur(DREAMS?)archon 5/14/01 6:16 p.m.
                             Re: DespairRageEnvyAyeMakSicur(DREAMS?)Doctordude 5/14/01 7:30 p.m.
                       Dreams.Ailurofyl7 5/15/01 9:32 a.m.
                       Re: DespairRageEnvyAyeMakSicur(DREAMS?)[Tycho?] 5/15/01 11:58 a.m.
                             Re: DespairRageEnvyAyeMakSicur(DREAMS?)Doctordude 5/15/01 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: DespairRageEnvyAyeMakSicur(DREAMS?)Son of Grd'nl 5/15/01 1:00 p.m.
     Timelines... (DUNE!?)Locucious 5/14/01 3:04 p.m.
           Re: Dune...Mojo 5/14/01 4:36 p.m.
           Re: Timelines... (DUNE!?)TheAR 5/14/01 6:44 p.m.
                 Re: Timelines... (DUNE!?)Fear is the mindkiller 5/15/01 12:34 p.m.
                       Re: Timelines... (DUNE!?)TheAR 5/15/01 2:39 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.