/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 3/28/04 9:43 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis? (Steve Levinson)

: First, my appologies, Forrest, for not recognizing you from your extensive
: involvement in the early development of the story page.

No appologies neccesary. I'm used to people not knowing who I am unless I or some more visible old-timer points it out. I don't know who most of the people here are either, though I can tell at a glance that some people like you clearly know your stuff and are turned to by others.

: I've now had a chance to read the story behind Marathon Eternal and I must
: say that the plot is exceptional. It is intriguing and opens up
: possibilities never before conceived.

Thank you. That is high praise.

: I really like the idea that the
: W'rkncacnter are actually essential to the evolution of satient life.
: This is a really cool concept. This probably bests the prevailing theory
: that the Jjaro were somehow responsible for their accidental creation or
: that they arose from the Jjaro's attempt to escape the closure of the
: universe (Ernie - if you're reading this, consider this as a possible
: mechanism for Durandal to release a W'rkncacnter, rather than through
: using the trh' xeem).

The central theme of everything I create is balance. I guess you could say I aspire to be a human Thoth. So I can't really portral the W'rkncacnter as bad guys, since I don't believe in such a thing. Even Hathor, the Dark One, your eternal enemy, the physical embodiment of all that is against you as a being, is not evil; her actions were a part of building the very future you came from.

: Your story does have one fatal flaw, however - it's
: just too sweeping in nature. The vary size and comprehensiveness is its
: ultimate downfall and I doubt that the scenario will ever come to
: fruition, and certainly not with the limitations of the Infinity engine.
: You need a full-time development team to tackle this, and it will require
: not one but several scenarios to complete. I would give very serious
: thougth to simplifying the plot, possibly losing the Halo tie-in, which is
: probably trying to do too much (and will likely be contradicted by Halo 2
: or 3), and subdividing the plot into a series of managable chunks, each of
: which would have a greater chance of coming to fruition as a separate
: scenario.

The chapters of the scenario were already designed to be released serially, and then make a final compilation at the end. A small 9-level mini-scenario, of which at least four or five levels, all the textures, and all but one of the weapons are done, and the only "new" monsters just need importing from M1. All the really needs doing besides a few more maps and a weapon is assembly of it all. The other chapters are also "nearly" completed to various degrees.

If I were to break it down to these chapters are whole scenarios and flesh them out, it seems that it would add MORE work to the project, not less. As it is it's about 37 real unique maps for the entire project, about half of which are mostly complete already; the textures are either done or nearly done depending on which version you want to use; and only two more new weapons really need making for the entire scenario. All the monsters to be used are already made or at imports from M1. I can't see how segmenting it and fleshing out the segments would reduce the workload.

As for the Halo tie-ins, I didn't say this (hi forum archives!) but at one point I was made privvy by an unnamed individual to a synopsis of a very early Halo plot set in the Marathon universe. I certainly don't remember all the details of this and hardly any were even told to begin with but some general concepts came across and shaped what I envisioned Bungie's intentions for the greater Marathon universe had been at one point, i.e. the origins of the Jjaro. I understand that Halo may no longer be connected to Marathon, which is why I have tried to keep specific events as vague as possible. I think perhaps simply removing any proper nouns would probably help; we never see any of the actual locations in "Halo" in the 5th chapter of Eternal, we never see the Sentinels or the Flood or 343's eyebot-form. They're just alluded to. So if I instead called them "the installation" (nee Halo), "the Monitor" (nee 343), "the parasites" (nee the Flood), etc, I think that could pretty nicely clear any direct contraction with Halo, since it's NOT really said to be Halo. But if there aren't contradictions people can still make that inferrence.

: See if you can talk Adam into merging his effort with yours -
: the plot is too good to waste. You might also want to flesh the plot out
: as MaraFF first.

I wish I had the time. As you can see on the Story page I'd be happy to help someone write that, but I can't actually spend the time writing it all myself beyond that Synopsis.

: One final thought - I think that WMaid should remain a separate scenario - it
: is nearly finished and should stand on its own.

I agree, I was not suggesting a merger of any scenarios. Simply an alignment of plot details for compatability's sake.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Story Synopsis?Forrest of B.org 3/25/04 12:44 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Yossarian 3/25/04 12:47 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Mark Levin 3/25/04 3:24 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Steve Levinson 3/25/04 4:59 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Yossarian 3/25/04 6:07 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Forrest of B.org 3/25/04 8:18 p.m.
                       Interesting proposition Forrest, very interesting!Ernie 3/25/04 8:51 p.m.
                             Re: Interesting proposition Forrest, very interestForrest of B.org 3/25/04 10:09 p.m.
                                   Re: Interesting proposition Forrest, very interestAndrew Nagy 3/29/04 8:09 p.m.
                                         Or Pfh'J? *NM*Andrew Nagy 3/31/04 9:18 a.m.
                       Give me some time - I have to work today! *NM*Steve Levinson 3/26/04 2:45 a.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Steve Levinson 3/26/04 7:51 a.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Ernie 3/26/04 11:56 a.m.
                                   I'll e-mail you soon as I sync up my PB. *NM*Steve Levinson 3/26/04 12:15 p.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Forrest of B.org 3/28/04 9:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Steve Levinson 3/29/04 6:11 a.m.
                                         WMaiD - Eternal - Rubicon, attn: Forrest : )Ernie 3/31/04 5:01 p.m.
                                               Re: WMaiD - Eternal - Rubicon, attn: Forrest : )Forrest of B.org 4/2/04 2:50 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.