/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 3/25/04 8:18 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis? (Steve Levinson)

: I'm going to give you the short version because my wife will call any minute
: wondering why I haven't come home yet. I'm also going to assume that
: you're very familiar with M1, M2 and Moo.

That's an easy assumption to make with me, my name is all over, in, out, and around the Story Page. I just kinda vanished around the time these forums were established.

Thank you very much for this synopsis. It covered basically everything I thought I knew about Rubicon, and clarified an important issue (whether the battle ever goes to Pfhor Prime).

However, I'm realizing that this approach isn't quite working in my brain for the purposes I wanted it too. You see, I too am working on a rather large, extensive Marathon scenario, and have just finished uploading about a gig of materials I've created over the past seven years, along with... aw hell I'll make a fresh post about it in a sec. For now, just see http://eternal.psyjnir.net/

My point is, it seems that everyone here is aiming for Rubicon story compatibility - a thing which rather bothers me to see a 3rd party scenario with (IMNSFHO) some annoying story flaws. However, Ernie seems to have taken interest in my backhistory and used some of the story mechanics from it in WMaiD. I've also been talking with Adam Ashwell of that big scenario project that may not actually happen and doesn't officially exist yet, and we've been jabbering about the connections between his project, WMaiD, Rubicon, and Eternal.

It seems, on the surface (though we haven't spoken to Ernie yet about this, I would like to), that it could be possible to string the storyline of Infinity, through Eternal, into WMaiD, Adam's project, and then straight into Rubicon; a concept which I find very appealing. This is partially conditional on the details of Ernie's plot, and of course if the rest of Adam's team likes the idea too; however, one of the bigger hurdles is some apparant contradictions between Eternal's rendition of the Pfhor War and Rubicon's rendition(s) thereof.

See, Eternal begins immediate at the end of Infinity, then jumps far into the future of a timeline that should not be, and begins to work it's way back through time, initially to correct that broken timeline, though taking a large detour through some ancient history, and then winding up back on track, at the end of Infinity, set to head off and change history. The key point which caused that broken future occurred during the Pfhor War, so it'd be kinda hard to just up and change that...

So, I've got a favor to ask of someone as well-versed in Rubicon lore as Steve here. Please read my story, and then, if you would, tell me what points of it absolutely contradict Rubicon, bearing in mind that the actions of the player from the end of Infinity onward may influence that end part of the timeline.

From what I can tell so far, the contradiction may not need to be that great. If (assuming you've read my story by now) after Eternal the player heads off and somehow merges S'bhuth and Leela, then S'bhuth's actions become a much less significant part of the war, and would not neccesarily have even been mentioned in Rubicon. The only contradiction I can find now is that the player would have gone off with Blake instead of with Durandal. It may be possible however to have the player go back to the Pfhor War first, and then, once that is resolved, head back to the end of Infinity, from which point Rubicon-like stories may continue...

Sorry if I'm rambling or otherwise not making any sense, I need to get food. Please read and compare and tell me if anything contradicts between the two. Thanks.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Story Synopsis?Forrest of B.org 3/25/04 12:44 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Yossarian 3/25/04 12:47 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Mark Levin 3/25/04 3:24 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Steve Levinson 3/25/04 4:59 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Yossarian 3/25/04 6:07 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Forrest of B.org 3/25/04 8:18 p.m.
                       Interesting proposition Forrest, very interesting!Ernie 3/25/04 8:51 p.m.
                             Re: Interesting proposition Forrest, very interestForrest of B.org 3/25/04 10:09 p.m.
                                   Re: Interesting proposition Forrest, very interestAndrew Nagy 3/29/04 8:09 p.m.
                                         Or Pfh'J? *NM*Andrew Nagy 3/31/04 9:18 a.m.
                       Give me some time - I have to work today! *NM*Steve Levinson 3/26/04 2:45 a.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Steve Levinson 3/26/04 7:51 a.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Ernie 3/26/04 11:56 a.m.
                                   I'll e-mail you soon as I sync up my PB. *NM*Steve Levinson 3/26/04 12:15 p.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Forrest of B.org 3/28/04 9:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Story Synopsis?Steve Levinson 3/29/04 6:11 a.m.
                                         WMaiD - Eternal - Rubicon, attn: Forrest : )Ernie 3/31/04 5:01 p.m.
                                               Re: WMaiD - Eternal - Rubicon, attn: Forrest : )Forrest of B.org 4/2/04 2:50 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.