/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance Manaual
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 12/26/21 3:53 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance Manaual (Lion O Cyborg)

: I'm not going to waste my time posting it here because A. this was about a
: month or two ago (on someone else's device too so I can't simply check browser
: history) and I can't find it again and B. everyone will just use Google
: Translate on it anyway and the result when doing so is full of errors as I saw
: myself.

A likely story. And an awfully convenient one. You realise there are other people in this community that speak Japanese, right?

: The gist of the article we looked at was that people in Japan were sick to
: death of westerners using (Blam!) as an excuse to bully anyone who showed
: any interest any part of their culture at all

That's not even close to being what the term means. This is its definition from Wiktionary:

: A non-Japanese person (especially one of Caucasian ancestry) who is obsessed
: with Japanese culture and behaves in a stereotypically Japanese manner.

And from Dictionary.com:

: Weeaboo is a mostly derogatory slang term for a Western person who is obsessed
: with Japanese culture, especially anime, often regarding it as superior to all
: other cultures.

[citation needed] on this being applied merely to someone "who showed any interest [in] any part of [Japanese] culture at all" - I can't recall ever once seeing it used that way. I've only ever seen it applied to the sort of person that regards Western culture as innately inferior to Japanese culture, overlooks the flaws in Japanese society, or otherwise obsesses over Japan to an unhealthy extent. I'm a fan of several Japanese game series and several Japanese musicians, and no one's ever called me a weeaboo for liking them.

Also, "this annoys a few people in Japan" != "it's racist", and given that Japan has had a difficult time getting people to care for their elderly because their society's own racism against foreigners has resulted in low immigration (and no one's having children), them labelling a niche (mis)usage of this term as racist would certainly strike me as a case of criticising the mote in another's eye while overlooking the beam in their own.

: as well using it to demonise Japanese people themselves based on the former alone.

I've also never once seen this usage. I suppose this niche usage could be racist, but that doesn't make the overwhelming majority of cases that aren't used to refer to Japanese people retroactively racist.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/18/21 10:07 a.m.
     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/23/21 9:33 a.m.
           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/24/21 7:36 a.m.
                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/24/21 1:39 p.m.
                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/25/21 4:48 p.m.
                             Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/25/21 5:57 p.m.
                                   Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/26/21 6:46 a.m.
                                         Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 6:51 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/26/21 9:19 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualAaron Freed 12/26/21 9:29 a.m.
                                                     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 12:59 p.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualAaron Freed 12/26/21 3:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 4:59 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:36 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:00 a.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:16 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/26/21 1:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 2:05 p.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualGeneral-RADIX 12/26/21 4:55 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 5:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:43 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualGeneral-RADIX 12/27/21 5:10 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/28/21 4:58 a.m.
           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/24/21 2:39 p.m.
                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/24/21 3:44 p.m.
                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/25/21 1:25 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.