/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance Manaual
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 12/24/21 2:39 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance Manaual (VikingBoyBilly)

: If your system is Mac OSX

: Simply browse for Pathways into Darkness on the Apple Mac App Store and click
: “Download” or “Get”. The setup program will start automatically.

: If your system is Microsoft Windows

: Browse for Pathways into Darkness Aleph One on Simplic7y.net.

: Click download and save the game folder to a location of your choice.

: Copy and paste all folders and game executables from your main Aleph One
: folder to the game folder.

: Double click AlephOne.exe or AlephOne64.exe.

: If your system is Linux

: .....
: (see below)

: THE DIFFICULTY LEVELS (WINDOWS ONLY)

: Aleph One is for Mac and Linux too ya know

Yeah, sorry about that. I was going off personal experience because I've not used Linux outside of Data Security class in college so I don't know how it works. I don't count the Mac version of PID A1 because the Mac already has the OSX port of PID.

: 7 Forerunner Chaos Emeralds

: Stop doing this.

No. My writeups, my rules. You should know this by now.

: That DAMN violet crystal

: Yellow, blue, orange... violet is the 4th one. I gotta hand it to you,
: amidst all the homages, some are so sneaky they almost
: slip past the radar. Well played.

Thank you. :)

: This pyramid has been around for hundreds if not thousands of years and
: there’s no maid service, dragons or otherwise.

: This is the problem with your style. I think (read: I'm certain) this is a
: nod to something, but I don't know what you're referring to because it's
: probably a piece of media I've never been exposed to. This makes no sense
: to me. You could have ended the sentance at "and there's no maid
: service." Period. And it would be fine. "dragons or
: otherwise" is where you lose me. It's technically correct, but dafuq
: do you mean? The closest thing I can guess this could refer to is that
: sleeping world-destroying dragon under the ruins in Mother 3 and... that's
: it, isn't it? This reference is too opaque and cryptic even to those that
: get it.

In other words, it's exactly the same style as all the references Marathon and PID make to outsiders like I was when I started playing Marathon. Even Halo, modern games and Marathon mods make references that sail right over my head. Just doing what Bungie taught me. Still, you make a point. Nicer about it than some around here anyway.

: To arm the nuclear bomb once you plant it, you must enter the following
: arming code: 2870334. Did you make that correction to the manual's
: briefing?

I kept the manual briefing version of the code so as not to reveal the correct one right away. The other stuff that looks like spoilers such as the rats and pods I say is in the game, but I don't specify where nor how often. I did consider leaving said spoiler like parts out, but I figured new PID players wouldn't care because the game has been out for decades so it ultimately doesn't matter. It's not like I'm spoiling why Javier's gang was there or what happens to your squad. I keep the latter part vague so as to make it sound like the squad aren't counted when I mention "people found the pyramid before you" as you technically arrived the same day as your squad.

: Headless: These walking lamprey guys spit green mould at you. Now it’s time
: to spit some lead upside their head. Lamprey?

: IT'S LIKE I'M SEEING DOUBLE. FOUR CRUSTYS !

Yep. It's the mouths and shape of the Headlesses torsos that makes me think of lampreys. The latter don't have long tongues however as far as I know.

: Greed: Tough as a dump truck and nearly as big,

: You crossed the line from Homage to Plagiarism.

To be fair, I did say as much in the intro: I was writing it for Doom and PID the same way Edmund McMillan wrote the Issac manual after Zelda. Compare a scan of the english Zelda 1 manual (not the story sections) to the Issac one and you'll see what I mean:

Issac
https://imgur.com/a/tHKz8

Zelda
https://www.nesfiles.com/NES/Zelda/Zelda.pdf

: Venomous Skitter: Hi, S-Rami III.

: What?

This was a rather crap attempt on my part to reference Spiderman 3. Venomous skitters, Venom, spiders. It's all I could think of at the time to follow a similar pattern to the Spider Mastermind description. I wish I could have thought of a better way to go about that, even if it meant leaving out that in favour of skipping right to the bit about their hit points and poison.

: Ok that's all my commentary. It's an enjoyable read, gripes aside.

Glad you enjoy it. :) It was all in good fun that I wrote it, as using it as a more serious manual wasn't really the main goal. It's more a fun extra for those who've either played the game or don't care about playing it and just want to know what it's about, like the Story page does.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/18/21 10:07 a.m.
     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/23/21 9:33 a.m.
           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/24/21 7:36 a.m.
                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/24/21 1:39 p.m.
                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/25/21 4:48 p.m.
                             Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/25/21 5:57 p.m.
                                   Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/26/21 6:46 a.m.
                                         Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 6:51 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/26/21 9:19 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualAaron Freed 12/26/21 9:29 a.m.
                                                     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 12:59 p.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualAaron Freed 12/26/21 3:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 4:59 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:36 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:00 a.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:16 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/26/21 1:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 2:05 p.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualGeneral-RADIX 12/26/21 4:55 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 5:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:43 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualGeneral-RADIX 12/27/21 5:10 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/28/21 4:58 a.m.
           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/24/21 2:39 p.m.
                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/24/21 3:44 p.m.
                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/25/21 1:25 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.