/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance Manaual
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 12/26/21 4:59 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance Manaual (Aaron Freed)

: A likely story. And an awfully convenient one. You realise there are
: other people in this community that speak Japanese, right?

Yes. They just aren't here, unless you can speak it.

Thank you for agreeing with me that what I told you is valid. It's actually a lot more inconvenient though because as I said, I can't find my source again. It's irritating because I know exactly how my inability to track it down makes me look, meaning people are less likely to believe me even though I was telling the truth. It didn't help that I remember the name was mostly Kanji and I only know about 5 or 10 kanji at most. Several of them look very similar to each other, which has tripped me up before when attempting to translate a particular one that looks like another I recognise.

I'm glad you let me know this problem is actually less widespread than I thought. I've just seen it often enough both on youtube commments, steam and real life at college that it sure looked common, especially as said bullies and trolls attacked both western Japan fans and Japanese themselves for anything as little as quoting a TV show a single time or having an anime profile pic. GmanLives and Civvie 11's video comments are the most recent places I've seen that crap (dating back to at least 2019), as well as the steam forum of any distinctly Japanese game like The Citadel or Tsugunohi, including tutorial games designed to teach people the alphabets. I especially feel sorry for the people I saw at college who came here to study English only for them and their mates to get yelled at by alcoholic hicks from our city's Old Town.

I've been on the receiving end as well, and I as well as a couple of people in the Steam example aren't even obsessed with the country and culture, despite my use of references in several past posts here seeming to indicate otherwise. Hell, there's parts of Japan I really don't like, such as the incredibly unhealthy view of work ethic (which even America has a problem with now), entrance exams for high schools & higher education (which kind of defeats the point of studying there if you studied a lot just to even get in), police are notoriously awful even for native citizens and even some of their more modern games are censored when their older stuff didn't used to be. Biohazard 7: Resident Evil comes to mind.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-13-how-resident-evil-7-is-censored-in-japan

The country's own racism towards foreigners you mention isn't very nice either. It's more common outside big cities though: I think it was Chris Broad's videos where I learned that.

I'm glad you didn't encounter any of those issues yourself as you say. You've dodged a bullet there.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/18/21 10:07 a.m.
     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/23/21 9:33 a.m.
           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/24/21 7:36 a.m.
                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/24/21 1:39 p.m.
                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/25/21 4:48 p.m.
                             Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/25/21 5:57 p.m.
                                   Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/26/21 6:46 a.m.
                                         Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 6:51 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/26/21 9:19 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualAaron Freed 12/26/21 9:29 a.m.
                                                     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 12:59 p.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualAaron Freed 12/26/21 3:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 4:59 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:36 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:00 a.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:16 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/26/21 1:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 2:05 p.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualGeneral-RADIX 12/26/21 4:55 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 5:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:43 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualGeneral-RADIX 12/27/21 5:10 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/28/21 4:58 a.m.
           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/24/21 2:39 p.m.
                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/24/21 3:44 p.m.
                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/25/21 1:25 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.