/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance Manaual
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 12/23/21 9:33 a.m.

In Response To: The Ultimate PID Repentance Manaual (Lion O Cyborg)

Nice manual, but I can see where you left your fingerprint when you call the monsters "ayakeshi" and "isfet crystals"

Look at the following words:

Ixchel. Amatarasu. Tezcatlipoca.

Which is the odd one out?

If you're not familar with non-European mythology, these all look exotic to you, but chances are you thought Amaterasu stood out as sounding like it came from a different dialect than the other two. Pathways into Darkness clearly takes a lot of inspiration from the pre-columbian Aztecs and Maya (and, well, Indiana Jones). So giving the monsters some weaboo term is really off. Now take an obscure old game like Shivers. The South-American spirits in that are called Ixupi, which is a word that sounds like it can be spoken in Nahuatl tongue. Am I giving free-reign to call all the headlesses and Phantasms Ixupi? Hell Yes! Or no. They're just monsters, and bungie themselves never gave them any specific classification.

If your system is Mac OSX

Simply browse for Pathways into Darkness on the Apple Mac App Store and click “Download” or “Get”. The setup program will start automatically.

If your system is Microsoft Windows

Browse for Pathways into Darkness Aleph One on Simplic7y.net.

Click download and save the game folder to a location of your choice.

Copy and paste all folders and game executables from your main Aleph One folder to the game folder.

Double click AlephOne.exe or AlephOne64.exe.

If your system is Linux

(see below)

THE DIFFICULTY LEVELS (WINDOWS ONLY)

Aleph One is for Mac and Linux too ya know

7 Forerunner Chaos Emeralds

Stop doing this. I like Sonic the Hedgehog, and I love Marathon; but if Nightmare Before Christmas taught us anything, sometimes our two favorite things aren't meant to come together.

Referred to in-game as an orange crystal, the red crystal ignites your inner Beavis with Pyrokinesis, frying some Ayakashi ass!

I know beavis and butthead is actually referenced so it seems like you get a freebie, but that's not until Marathon. In PID we have Ren & Stimpy (and if you need to ask where, then your (young) age is showing).

That DAMN violet crystal

Yellow, blue, orange... violet is the 4th one. I gotta hand it to you, amidst all the cringe homages, the good ones are so sneaky they almost slip past the radar. Well played.

The prize power for Japanese ghostbusters. The black crystal has superb charging time and petrifies a single monster instantly. Be careful: like Donald Trump, the UK Tory government and the Chinese government, with great power comes great instability.

Redo this whole description.

This pyramid has been around for hundreds if not thousands of years and there’s no maid service, dragons or otherwise.

This is the problem with your style. I think (read: I'm certain) this is a nod to something, but I don't know what you're referring to because it's probably a piece of media I've never been exposed to. This makes no sense to me. You could have ended the sentance at "and there's no maid service." Period. And it would be fine. "dragons or otherwise" is where you lose me. It's technically correct, but dafuq do you mean? The closest thing I can guess this could refer to is that sleeping world-destroying dragon under the ruins in Mother 3 and... that's it, isn't it? This reference is too opaque and cryptic even to those that get it.

Scattered around certain floors of the catacombs are purple, sphincter covered pods.. Really?

If you walk over one of these pods, it’s kablooey time!

TIP: Deliberately walking into those living land mines is the only way to get kid of those annoying flying lizards, delivering a body-blasting explosion to all those purgatory pedestrians. Wait until the lizards start swarming you and stomp on the can, then watch them all go boom! Just be mindful of how much health you have for obvious reasons.

Okay now these are SPOILERS! Is this a manual or a strategy guide?

Night Vision Goggles allow you to see clearly, even in pitch dark. They’re the only ways to see the invisible wraiths but at the cost of making banshees appear completely invisible themselves. Duration: Until you take them off.

SPOILERS DUDE! Geez, when Bungie released an official hint book, they wouldn't even tell us to turn off the flashlight in We Can See in the Dark.

To arm the nuclear bomb once you plant it, you must enter the following arming code: 2870334. Did you make that correction to the manual's briefing?

Some of the ayakashi you’ll face aren’t shown here. Don’t say we didn’t warn you. So it's not a strategy guide. I guess monsters are the only thing that counts as spoilers!

Headless: These walking lamprey guys spit green mould at you. Now it’s time to spit some lead upside their head. Lamprey?

IT'S LIKE I'M SEEING DOUBLE. FOUR CRUSTYS!

Skeleton: You thought this pyramid was completely alien to Earth ones. Where did those undead Egyptian priests come from?

YOU DID NO RESEARCH! The Yucatan Peninsula is not in Africa! It's on another continent! Maya != Egypt

Greed: Tough as a dump truck and nearly as big,

You crossed the line from Homage to Plagiarism.

Venomous Skitter: Hi, S-Rami III.

What?

Ok that's all my commentary. It's an enjoyable read, gripes aside.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/18/21 10:07 a.m.
     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/23/21 9:33 a.m.
           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/24/21 7:36 a.m.
                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/24/21 1:39 p.m.
                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/25/21 4:48 p.m.
                             Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/25/21 5:57 p.m.
                                   Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/26/21 6:46 a.m.
                                         Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 6:51 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/26/21 9:19 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualAaron Freed 12/26/21 9:29 a.m.
                                                     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 12:59 p.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualAaron Freed 12/26/21 3:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 4:59 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:36 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:00 a.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:16 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualBob-B-Q 12/26/21 1:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 2:05 p.m.
                                                           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualGeneral-RADIX 12/26/21 4:55 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/26/21 5:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/27/21 5:43 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualGeneral-RADIX 12/27/21 5:10 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/28/21 4:58 a.m.
           Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/24/21 2:39 p.m.
                 Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualVikingBoyBilly 12/24/21 3:44 p.m.
                       Re: The Ultimate PID Repentance ManaualLion O Cyborg 12/25/21 1:25 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.