/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Infinity's Plot
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 10/3/20 7:12 p.m.

In Response To: Infinity's Plot (Tim "Mordeir" Branin)

I'm a big fan of Infinity's story and storytelling, but it's been a while since I've dug into it.

Nevertheless, you've got a basic handle on things. Most of the alternate timelines let you travel to a Failure level that shows you why that course of events wouldn't work, e.g.: I forget what happens in the timeline, but in the failure level you have the BoBs helping you on Aye Mak Sicur, but the Pfhor just vent the air of the station which leads to you dying, and that's why you need a timeline that results in Spht'kr helping you instead.

I think there's one alternate timeline that doesn't have a failure level in the second half of the game, but it's been a while and I don't remember what the deal is with that.

I think it's also important to remember that in the same way Durandal melds with Thoth to become something new, a similar thing might be happening to the Security Officer as well.

I believe the implication is that the unleashing of the W'rkncacnter activates the Jjaro components in your cyborg body which allows you to travel through alternate timelines. However, the impression I got is that the Security Officer is also becoming something new, perhaps mentally melding with the Jjaro technology or with alternate versions of himself, thus leading to the strange dream levels.

Because of this, I think it's unclear as to whether the Security Officer is choosing to travel through timelines, or whether this choice is being made for him by some other force, or whether it is some automated process inherent to his Jjaro implants that he has no control over (for example, the Jjaro tech might automatically detect the W'rkncacnter and immediately jump him back in time again).

Anyway, that's what I remember from back in the day.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Infinity's PlotTim "Mordeir" Branin 10/2/20 7:13 p.m.
     Re: Infinity's Plotpfhore 10/2/20 10:50 p.m.
     Re: Infinity's PlotGodot 10/3/20 4:27 a.m.
     Re: Infinity's PlotDocument 10/3/20 1:05 p.m.
           Re: Infinity's PlotDocument 10/3/20 1:13 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity's PlotDurandal_1707 10/4/20 2:40 p.m.
     Re: Infinity's PlotPhiltron 10/3/20 7:12 p.m.
           Re: Infinity's PlotForrest of B.org 10/3/20 7:16 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity's PlotPhiltron 10/3/20 8:13 p.m.
                       Re: Infinity's PlotForrest of B.org 10/3/20 9:01 p.m.
                             Re: Infinity's PlotPhiltron 10/4/20 6:20 a.m.
                                   Re: Infinity's PlotPhiltron 10/4/20 6:30 a.m.
                                         Re: Infinity's PlotDurandal_1707 10/4/20 2:39 p.m.
                                               Re: Infinity's PlotGeneral-RADIX 10/4/20 3:33 p.m.
                                                     Re: Infinity's PlotPhiltron 10/4/20 6:40 p.m.
                                                     Re: Infinity's PlotDurandal_1707 10/4/20 6:48 p.m.
                                                           Re: Infinity's PlotGeneral-RADIX 10/5/20 9:46 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.