/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Infinity's Plot
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 10/3/20 8:13 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Infinity's Plot (Forrest of B.org)

: I always thought it was Thoth that was sending you back, since he has access
: to some kind of technology that can summon the S'pht'kr and their
: warp-capable moon from across the galaxy, and it's always right as he is
: reactivated that you get sent back.

I don't think so. At the end of Things What Kick we get a jump: Durandal is about the send the Security Officer to what would be Marathon 2's Waterloo Waterpark; Thoth isn't activated yet. The player switches to a dream level and a new timeline, but the implication is that the SO's story continues.

My interpretation is that the player and the Security officer do not get sent back in time at the same time. The player ends a timeline at a certain level (like Things What Kick), but canonically (or at least this is how I interpret it) the Security Officer's story continues until he reaches the Failure Level of that timeline; the Security Officer doesn't travel back in time until the timeline fails. But Double Aught decided to just skip the intervening levels because they would be redundant; you, the player, can already guess what happens. The players only see part of a timeline and the Failure level at the end, but the SO experiences the full timeline.

So let's say you've got timelines A B and C, where "7" is the Final level of that timeline. The security officer would experience it like this:
1A 2A 3A 4A 5A 6A 7A (Failure, start new timeline)
1B 2B 3B 4B 5B 6B 7B (Failure, start new timeline)
1C 2C 3C 4C 5C 6C 7C

But the player experiences the levels like this:
1A 2A 3A(Next timeline)
2B 3B(Next timeline)
6C 7C

The Security officer's story continues until the failure level, we just don't see it because Double Aught thought it would be a waste of time. It's like how in a movie we see a character get on a plane and then the plane lands somewhere. We don't see the intervening plane ride because it would be boring.

If this wasn't the case then it wouldn't make sense for us to see the Failure levels.

The only other interpretation I can think of that would explain it is that the Security Officer jumps when the player jumps, and only sees the Failure Levels as "visions" sent to him through his dreams.

But, knowing what kind of storyteller Kirkpatrick was, I feel that my interpretation is the correct one.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Infinity's PlotTim "Mordeir" Branin 10/2/20 7:13 p.m.
     Re: Infinity's Plotpfhore 10/2/20 10:50 p.m.
     Re: Infinity's PlotGodot 10/3/20 4:27 a.m.
     Re: Infinity's PlotDocument 10/3/20 1:05 p.m.
           Re: Infinity's PlotDocument 10/3/20 1:13 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity's PlotDurandal_1707 10/4/20 2:40 p.m.
     Re: Infinity's PlotPhiltron 10/3/20 7:12 p.m.
           Re: Infinity's PlotForrest of B.org 10/3/20 7:16 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity's PlotPhiltron 10/3/20 8:13 p.m.
                       Re: Infinity's PlotForrest of B.org 10/3/20 9:01 p.m.
                             Re: Infinity's PlotPhiltron 10/4/20 6:20 a.m.
                                   Re: Infinity's PlotPhiltron 10/4/20 6:30 a.m.
                                         Re: Infinity's PlotDurandal_1707 10/4/20 2:39 p.m.
                                               Re: Infinity's PlotGeneral-RADIX 10/4/20 3:33 p.m.
                                                     Re: Infinity's PlotPhiltron 10/4/20 6:40 p.m.
                                                     Re: Infinity's PlotDurandal_1707 10/4/20 6:48 p.m.
                                                           Re: Infinity's PlotGeneral-RADIX 10/5/20 9:46 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.