/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s Challenge
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 9/11/20 1:46 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s Challenge (Lion O Cyborg)

: I found when writing my share of the Eternal Tour entries last year that
: Eternal X 1.2 has a script that makes scratch starting possible: it gives
: you the weapons you would have conceivably found by that point in the game
: plus a little bit of ammo for them all, but not too much. Playing
: carefully can net you similar weapons to a standard run if you still use
: save games like I was doing but you shouldn't be too worse off if you went
: level by level. Can't say it would change much for maps like Run Coward or
: Chapter 5 though as those are tough as nails even with too much ammo.

Yeah, that’s a nice concession on Eternal’s part. TBH though, I find scratch starting is rarely much different from starting normally, since on most levels, you get more than enough ammo from defeated enemies to be able to plow through with little issue. The only exceptions are a few of the early chapter 3 levels, where this mechanic doesn’t apply. (It also doesn’t apply to the early chapter 5 levels, but for those, the player has a boatload of fusion batteries and zero-point modules to make up for it. Giving the player fusion in the setting of chapter 3 doesn’t make story sense, and they would have no use for zero-point modules yet.) We’ve been pondering the idea of giving the player a few extra rounds for some of the weapons for those, but we haven’t definitively settled on anything yet.

: I know this as I was forced to scratch start from The Incredible Hulk when
: after fixing a broken terminal in the Chapter 4 failure plank, my save for
: around that point corrupted and I didn't want to start from the prologue
: again, letting me save time.

Do you know what caused the corruption? Was it an issue with the modified map, with Aleph One itself, or with the original Eternal map? If the latter, is it reproducible, and has it been fixed? (My memory of the past few years is not too trustworthy.)

: The mention of interconnected maps in WAMID and Chronicles sounds cool.

Thanks.

: …some levels would be linked in a hub and you'd have
: to go betweeen them all to get farther.

That’s basically exactly our intention.

: I'd love to see a Marathon scenario with level structure like that.
: Especially that Marathon/Metroid crossover or something I heard someone
: mention a while ago.

That would’ve been Echoes of the Ashen, which isn’t a crossover, exactly, but is meant to be reminiscent of Metroid Prime in both atmosphere and gameplay. (IIRC, Ryoko has stated it is his favourite game, or at least one of them, which is an indicator of his excellent taste.) I’ve provided a link elsewhere in this thread to gameplay footage of part of the mod; in the video description you can also find some downloadable links to what he’d released on Discord as of May 2020.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s Challenge *LINK*Aaron Freed 9/10/20 4:59 p.m.
     Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeGodot 9/11/20 5:08 a.m.
     Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeLion O Cyborg 9/11/20 12:11 p.m.
           Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeW'rkncacnter 9/11/20 12:31 p.m.
                 Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeLion O Cyborg 9/11/20 12:35 p.m.
                       Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeAaron Freed 9/11/20 12:52 p.m.
                             Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeLion O Cyborg 9/11/20 12:54 p.m.
           Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeAaron Freed 9/11/20 12:49 p.m.
                 Fixed link for previous message *LINK*Aaron Freed 9/11/20 12:59 p.m.
                 Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeW'rkncacnter 9/11/20 12:59 p.m.
                       Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeAaron Freed 9/11/20 1:08 p.m.
                 Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeLion O Cyborg 9/11/20 1:19 p.m.
                       Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeAaron Freed 9/11/20 1:46 p.m.
                             Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeLion O Cyborg 9/11/20 2:55 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.