/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s Challenge
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 9/11/20 12:49 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s Challenge (Lion O Cyborg)

: I can't remember if saved films were broken by using pattern buffers
: nor if they lasted a full run.

Films have never worked when reloading from saved games. The only mechanisms for recording a film have always been the “new game” and “join/gather network game” dialogue boxes.

: Slightly unrelated note; could PID A1 be beaten Vidmaster style and if so,
: what key PID specific changes to the formula would have to be made to
: compensate for differences between PID & Marathon?

As Wrk says, no. Put another way, this is roughly akin to asking “would it be possible to start NetHack from floor 20?” A number of key items you will need to progress will simply be absent from your inventory. You could possibly write a Lua script to grant them to yourself, but that’s getting far outside of Vidmaster territory by that point, since you’re not doing a pistol start anymore. The closest thing to a Vidmaster’s Challenge a person could do for AOPID is to just beat the game in one continuous stretch, without dying or reloading from a save, and then upload the film file.

Unfortunately, this will probably become somewhat more commonplace as mods begin to use this sort of script more. RyokoTK’s unfinished mod Echoes of the Ashen (https://youtu.be/zjvbhDb-Hss), which he may or may not still be working on (I haven’t heard from him in months, and I sincerely hope he’s OK), would be equally impossible to record vid films for (in fact, it doesn’t even possess levels in the traditional sense, the way Pathways still does; it just possesses locations). The closest thing one could do to vidding that is, again, to beat it without dying or reloading from a saved game. (Well, it doesn’t have an ending yet, and in fact there’s currently no way to reach parts of the game without using a developer cheat code. But if it had an ending, that’d be the only way a person could “vid” it.)

(On the other hand, Phoenix is so much better with vid starts that it almost feels pointless to play it any other way: on any other setting than TC, ammo limits can become a problem, and on a continuous TC playthrough, you’ll probably have way too much ammo. Vid starting every level on TC fixes both of those problems, making the game an interesting and rewarding challenge.)

I’m also planning to connect levels in a similar fashion for the second half of Chronicles; a player will be able to vid-start at the “start point” of that set of levels, but any other levels beyond it will in all likelihood be impossible and even nonsensical to attempt to vid.

We’re also planning a set of interconnected levels in Where Monsters Are in Dreams, though it’s likely to be just a group of three. A player would be able to vid start the first of those and then play that segment through, and that would count as a vid film, but playing any of those beyond the first one individually might end up breaking the levels and/or rendering them impossible to complete, depending on how we implement the scripting.

…ok, enough procrastinating from me.

tl;dr: It’s not possible to vid levels from AOPID, and this sort of thing may become more common in the future. I love vidding and individual-level films, and I’m sorry to see releases where they’re not possible, but this is just a rather unfortunate side effect of the engine being capable of supporting increasingly more ambitious projects, and my joy at the existence of projects like Echoes of the Ashen outweighs my disappointment that they’re not possible to vid.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s Challenge *LINK*Aaron Freed 9/10/20 4:59 p.m.
     Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeGodot 9/11/20 5:08 a.m.
     Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeLion O Cyborg 9/11/20 12:11 p.m.
           Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeW'rkncacnter 9/11/20 12:31 p.m.
                 Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeLion O Cyborg 9/11/20 12:35 p.m.
                       Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeAaron Freed 9/11/20 12:52 p.m.
                             Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeLion O Cyborg 9/11/20 12:54 p.m.
           Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeAaron Freed 9/11/20 12:49 p.m.
                 Fixed link for previous message *LINK*Aaron Freed 9/11/20 12:59 p.m.
                 Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeW'rkncacnter 9/11/20 12:59 p.m.
                       Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeAaron Freed 9/11/20 1:08 p.m.
                 Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeLion O Cyborg 9/11/20 1:19 p.m.
                       Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeAaron Freed 9/11/20 1:46 p.m.
                             Re: The Marathon 1 Vidmaster’s ChallengeLion O Cyborg 9/11/20 2:55 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.