/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

A related answer
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 10/4/06 7:40 a.m.

In Response To: Re: A related question... (D-M.A.)

: Napalm?

Brilliance! How did I miss that?

The M2/Infinity Enforcer weapon is now officially known as the: "WILLFUL-ISSUE NAPALM CANNON" or "N-CANNON" for short. The "WILLFUL-ISSUE SCATTER RIFLE" (M1 Enforcer weapon) is also to be abbreviated to "S-RIFLE" for short.

Also, regarding this whole problem, I came up with a solution last night.

The Willful-issue (Enforcer) weapons work just as they originally did. You can only carry one of them, they use no ammo (don't reload), random ammo on pickup, disappear after use.

The Aggregate-issue (Fighter and Trooper) weapons can carry up to three ammo clips each (three of each kind, both bullets and grenades, for the Havok Rifle), random ammo on pickup, no disappearing after use. I've changed the Lua scripting so that if you pick up any of the Pfhor weapons' ammo and you *don't* already have that weapon, it swaps the ammo for that weapon; otherwise, you just get more ammo, up to your max limit. (The Havok Rifle ammo will also give you a grenade clip if you've already got the weapon). Ammo looks just like the weapons, so as best as you can tell in game, you're getting ammo from dropped weapons; but you don't have the problem that you pick up weapons and they just vanish if you're already maxed out on ammo. They'll just lay there and you can come back and get more of them later. On TC, since there's no ammo limit, you can carry as many of them as you want.

I think this gives a nice balance between the two TC gameplay style concerns (since the S-Rifle, one of the best weapons in the game, still requires you to go find another one; so does the N-Cannon, if you really want to use that). It also solves all of the bugginess with my Lua scripting, and leaves the weapons in a state where you could scatter them around a netmap and not have any Lua scripting involved and they would still work.

Although the Aggregate weapons wouldn't disappear after use, and their ammo looks just like the weapons themselves, so... that could be a little funky. Either you run out of ammo and the weapon is useless until you die, or you'd be running around and *some* 'weapons' (ammo) you pick up would give you ammo while others that looked just like them wouldn't. I suppose I could make it so that walking over a weapon you already have gives you it's ammo, the old way I just got rid of, *in addition* to the new way, so that if you happen across a real Havok Rifle or Shock Staff, you get it's ammo; you'll just never happen across them in solo play. That way netmap makers can just place weapons around, not their ammo, and everything will take care of itself. (You'll still need to place ammo for the Human and Jjaro weapons).

Do the (non-TC) ammo limits still hold in (non-TC) netgames? Or can you carry infinite ammo?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Two-Function Disappearing Weapon?Forrest of B.org 10/1/06 12:51 p.m.
     Re: Two-Function Disappearing Weapon?kyjel 10/1/06 2:13 p.m.
           Re: Two-Function Disappearing Weapon?Forrest of B.org 10/1/06 7:50 p.m.
                 A related question...Forrest of B.org 10/2/06 1:01 p.m.
                       Re: A related question...RyokoTK 10/2/06 1:17 p.m.
                       Re: A related question...goran 10/3/06 9:27 a.m.
                             Re: A related question...Forrest of B.org 10/3/06 2:04 p.m.
                                   Re: A related question...D-M.A. 10/3/06 7:17 p.m.
                                         A related answerForrest of B.org 10/4/06 7:40 a.m.
                                               Re: A related answertreellama 10/4/06 8:41 a.m.
                                                     Re: A related answerForrest of B.org 10/4/06 9:50 a.m.
                                                           Re: A related answerRyokoTK 10/4/06 1:05 p.m.
                                                                 Re: A related answerRyokoTK 10/4/06 1:06 p.m.
                                   Re: A related question...goran 10/4/06 6:26 a.m.
                                         Re: A related question...Forrest of B.org 10/4/06 7:20 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.