/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Warning: Giant image appended to post
Posted By: C LundDate: 11/6/05 9:28 a.m.

In Response To: Re: AO features in upcoming scenarios (Simon/team Sigma)

: CHris, mind if i ask you to elaborate on how to do glowmap?
: like, how to set up your textures, got any screens showing glow map
: in gamemode? If you can help me with that thanks a lot!

Well, in my case, I have a "Scripts" folder in the same directory as AO. All the global scripts go there (the level-specific scripts go in teh resource fork). I also have a folder called "Rubicon Data" in this directory, which again contains "Graphics/Textures/set5/" The "set5" folder conatins all the textures, glowmasks, and transparency masks for set 5.

Then I put the following a script (text file) titled "Walls_5" in the "Scripts" folder. You can probably call the text file anything you want. "Walls_5" happens to be what RX ended up with. "Walls_5" looks like this:

-marathon>
-opengl>

(textures 0-20 snipped for brevity)

-texture coll="21" bitmap="21"
normal_image="Rubicon Data/Graphics/Textures/set5/21.png"
glow_image="Rubicon Data/Graphics/Textures/set5/21.png"
glow_mask="Rubicon Data/Graphics/Textures/set5/21gm.png"
/>

(textures 22 and so on snipped for brevity)

-opengl>
-marathon>

Below is a composite image containing a screenshot showing texture 21 of set 5 in use, plus "flat" views of the texture (21.png) and it's glowmap (21gm.png - the black field with two white blotches). As you can see, the glowmap isn't black and white- it's a greyscale image, where the darkness of the image shows the minimal lighting of the texture. Thus white areas will give you areas of the texture that are always 100% iluminated, and black areas where the lighting matches that of the applied lights (as by Forge). Grey areas are anything in between. This lets you use bright lights (white) and dim lights (grey), and unlit areas (black).

Hope this helps. (btw; how does one embed images in the text of a post rather than tack it on the end?)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

AO features in upcoming scenariosC Lund 11/5/05 2:58 a.m.
     Re: AO features in upcoming scenariosSimon/team Sigma 11/5/05 4:13 a.m.
           Re: AO features in upcoming scenariosC Lund 11/5/05 5:25 a.m.
     Re: AO features in upcoming scenarioskyjel 11/5/05 8:46 a.m.
           Re: AO features in upcoming scenariosC Lund 11/5/05 11:21 a.m.
                 er... I may sound stupid, but what is a glowmap? *NM*Nicholai 11/6/05 1:46 p.m.
                       Re: er... I may sound stupid, but what is a glowmaC Lund 11/6/05 11:34 p.m.
     Re: AO features in upcoming scenariosForrest of B.org 11/5/05 10:06 a.m.
           Re: AO features in upcoming scenariosC Lund 11/5/05 11:17 a.m.
                 Re: AO features in upcoming scenariosSimon/team Sigma 11/5/05 12:25 p.m.
                       Warning: Giant image appended to postC Lund 11/6/05 9:28 a.m.
                             Re: Warning: Giant image appended to postSteve Levinson 11/6/05 10:50 a.m.
                 Re: AO features in upcoming scenariosForrest of B.org 11/5/05 11:04 p.m.
                       Re: AO features in upcoming scenariosC Lund 11/6/05 9:42 a.m.
                 Re: AO features in upcoming scenariosForrest of B.org 11/5/05 11:37 p.m.
     Re: AO features in upcoming scenariosRyokoTK 11/5/05 2:44 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.