/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Will this help?
Posted By: goranDate: 5/26/05 3:08 p.m.

In Response To: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longish] (RyokoTK)

I've read through this whole thead now, and as I see it, there's a huge gap between the marathon players/mappers and the programmers. I guess the programmers don't intend to piss us off, even though they do! What we all need to learn is to see things from other peoples perspectives.

What can it really be like to be behind the scenes of alpehone?

I believe they have formed a tight community with friends (and maybe enemies) that circle around showing off your programming skills. If I was there, my idea of "fun" would be to implent new tricks.

I'm working on something new, I have a new idea, wanna see my new addition etc.

Really, think about it. The programmers main interrest may not be to play marathon, instead, what if it is to fool around with their programming skills - and see what they do with this engine.

Now think how you would react to this crowd of marathoners who just wants things.
We complain and wants things. How annoying. And we don't just want things, we demand things, like they would be obligated to do as we say.

I believe this annoys the crap out of them. To them, we don't understand the beuty of programming. Programming is like being god, if you were, would you fix things, or would you use your magical power to create flying monkeys?
It's not a hard choice, is it? Monkeys!

fix things they don't want to fix - boring, never gonna happen

On the other hand, improving the engine with uneccessary options such as guided rockets is very interresting. They have never seen it before - and they wanna see if they have what it takes to do that.

The thing that is crucial to understand is that every man walking on this planet is selfish. No one is really interested in what you want, they're just intererested in what they want.

If we really want these programmers to stabilize alephone, we must get them to "want to do it". This means, they must benefit from it somehow, and the reward much be greater than the fun they get out of fooling around with the engine.

This is my take on the situation. I know I may be wrong - the reality may be something completely different. Most of all, I just wanted you to think of the problem in way you've never thought of it before. It's good for your brain.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longish]RyokoTK 5/24/05 3:38 a.m.
     Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longSimon//Sigma 5/24/05 4:29 a.m.
           Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longAdam Ashwell 5/24/05 5:44 a.m.
                 Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longLuke9 5/24/05 6:07 a.m.
                       Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longD-M.A. 5/24/05 6:10 a.m.
                             Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longAndromeda_5[Kilo] 5/24/05 7:24 a.m.
                       Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longSpeaker-To-Animals 5/24/05 3:03 p.m.
     Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longDeathmonger 5/24/05 10:12 a.m.
           Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longRyokoTK 5/24/05 11:09 a.m.
                 Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longBob-B-Q 5/24/05 12:50 p.m.
                       Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longRyokoTK 5/24/05 1:21 p.m.
                       Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longJohannes Gunnar 5/24/05 4:03 p.m.
     Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longSpeaker-To-Animals 5/24/05 3:01 p.m.
           Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longRyokoTK 5/24/05 3:26 p.m.
                 Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longSpeaker-To-Animals 5/24/05 8:34 p.m.
                 Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longgoran 5/26/05 3:14 p.m.
                       Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longRyokoTK 5/26/05 4:04 p.m.
     Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longElliott dagen 5/24/05 4:04 p.m.
           Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longRyokoTK 5/24/05 4:17 p.m.
                 Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longSimon//Sigma 5/25/05 3:30 a.m.
                       You're being sarcastic, aren't you? *NM*Bob-B-Q 5/25/05 10:29 a.m.
                             Some people just don't get sarcasm. *rolls eyes*Vid Boi 5/26/05 8:25 a.m.
     Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longSteve Levinson 5/25/05 6:55 p.m.
           Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longClaude Errera 5/26/05 5:55 a.m.
                 Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longVid Boi 5/26/05 8:29 a.m.
     Re: Aleph One is not the wave of the future. [longNicholai 5/25/05 9:10 p.m.
     Will this help?goran 5/26/05 3:08 p.m.
           Re: Will this help?jkvw 5/27/05 10:25 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.