/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RED Volunteers: 3
Posted By: YossarianDate: 4/14/04 8:40 p.m.

In Response To: Re: RED Volunteers: 3 (Steve Levinson)

: Question - is there a reason you use the word "an" before words
: beginning with consonants? The only exception to the rule that I'm aware
: of (and that is often missed by most folks) is in front of the consonant
: "h", as in "an historian". It's use in front of the
: vowel "u" sounds strage, as in "an universal", but it
: doesn't violate the rules.

The actual "strangeness" depends on the first vowel sound of the noun. "an universal" sounds strange, but "an underdog" does not. The same holds true with the "h" example you use. It is easier to say "an historian" as opposed to "an hotel" Just like it is unattractive to utter two vowel sounds in succession, it is equally unattactive to have two consanant sounds from different words bumping.

This is why "an historian" sounds better; the "h" is relatively weak, and saying it without the "h" does not cause it to lose meaning. Now try putting a weak "h" on "hotel". If you spend all night asking around for "an otel" you're going to be sleeping in the cold, or perhaps pointed to a large letter "L" composed completely of assorted grains. It simply does not flow to change gears in the mouth from the accented "n" sound to the strong "h" sound.

"A universal" sounds better than "an universal" because the "u" in universal is making a "yuh" sound, which is more often associated with the letter "Y", which is only sometimes a vowel.

It all boils down to the flow of the speech.

: Seriously, is there a purpose for someone who
: otherwise writes extremely well to violate this rule, or am I just being a
: nit-picker. It just doesn't fit with your style of writing.

Everyone has their quirks when it comes to writing. You, for instance, always substitute "satient" when you mean "sentient". This in turn reminds me of "satiated", which I most commonly hear used to describe the feeling of fullness after a large meal. This is why I get a kick out of it when you do it, I can really see you getting satiated on those S'pht and their cybernetic implants ;)

I have a bad habit of separating conjoined prepositions, like writing "in to" instead of "into". I also lose track of tense and person, especially when writing larger things.

Variety is what makes language interesting, and it is the mutations of it and the mistakes that are the catalysts of linguistic evolution...

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

RED Volunteers: 3Mark Levin 4/14/04 11:37 a.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: 3Forrest of B.org 4/14/04 12:00 p.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: 3rampancy 4/14/04 1:01 p.m.
           Re: RED Volunteers: 3Mark Levin 4/14/04 1:13 p.m.
                 Re: RED Volunteers: 3Crimson 4/14/04 3:12 p.m.
                       Re: RED Volunteers: 3Ernie 4/14/04 5:54 p.m.
                             Re: RED Volunteers: 3Steve Levinson 4/14/04 8:01 p.m.
                                   *style wars* :-) *NM*Mista_B 4/14/04 8:27 p.m.
                                   Re: RED Volunteers: 3Yossarian 4/14/04 8:40 p.m.
                                         Re: RED Volunteers: 3Forrest of B.org 4/15/04 11:48 a.m.
                                               Re: RED Volunteers: 3Yossarian 4/15/04 6:16 p.m.
                                                     Re: RED Volunteers: 3Forrest of B.org 4/15/04 9:26 p.m.
                             Re: RED Volunteers: 3Elliott 4/14/04 9:41 p.m.
                             Re: RED Volunteers: 3Forrest of B.org 4/15/04 11:40 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.