/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

RED Volunteers: 3
Posted By: Mark LevinDate: 4/14/04 11:37 a.m.

You are nowhere. The pawn has reached the end of the board and is about to become a queen. Somewhere within the region of space controlled by Joshua, you can feel his presence all around you. As you distantly feel something being done to your body, he begins to speak. Hit tab.

Do YoU kNow wHy yOu weRe cHoOsen?

WhY yoU, aMong alL yOur bRotHers oN tHat deAd sHip, wEre seLEcteD tO carRy mY tOrcH?...

We already know that Joshua has had his eye on us for some time. We're about to learn just how long. He means to bring us over to his side and have us fight for him, because there's something that differentiates us from the group we used to belong to.

One unfortunate problem with RED's terminals is that the different styles of speaking I pointed out earlier in the game aren't used consistently (it's equally likely I was wrong about their intended significance). The text here is in the red, intercapped style I've always associated with Michael, while it's obviously being spoken by Joshua.

...beCaUse tHey wEre nOt yOur fAmily. EigHt of YoUr brOthers dIed lOng aGo oN a lOsT cHild.

Remember this part, because it will be important at the end of the next level, when the truth about the player is finally revealed. Had there been nine brothers, our identity would be obvious, but it's not quite that simple. But look at that picture... The figures we already know are ghosts, or possibly souls, surrounding a brighter, stronger figure wearing a helmet patterned after the Marathon symbol. Your family?

YoUr fAmily wAs oF tEchnOloGy nOt uNdErStoOd bY yOur aDopteD fAmiLy.

ThEy oNly pRetendeD tO liVe witH yOu in SileNt feAr tHat yOu woUld dEstrOy tHem.

...AnD tHey hAd goOd reAson...

Another nice picture there... what the hell is Joshua doing to us? (Yes, I realize most readers of these posts already know, but bear with me :P )

The psychology of the player's character is something rarely touched on in games, especially in first-person shooters, where the character tends to become a puppet, a shell occupied by the human player. Indeed, the way most people play FPSes it's difficult to imagine the player being seen by the other characters as anything besides a bloodthirsty lunatic, as thousands of dead and ammo-less Bobs will attest. Fortunately, in RED, that's exactly what you are, and the remainder of the scenario is indeed filled with indiscriminate slaughter of friend and foe alike, and the story has been leading us to this point, so it's a good fit.

...fOr I kNow What yOu aRe cApabLe of...I obServeD yOu As yoU trAveLed evEr doWnwarD. You Ripped thRough yOur enEmies aLl whiLe trYing to GeT to mY dormAnt foRm...

...YoU thOughT I wAs AsleEp wHen yOu plAnted thAt bOmb in thE botTom oF my cHariot...no...I wAs all aRound you wHen yOu pRessed tHe fiNal rUne...thE runE to seal mY fate.

There's no ambiguity here: Joshua is referring to Pathways Into Darkness. The creator of the Organics could easily have dreamed up the monstrosities inside that other pyramid. The idea of the "chariot" is a bit of a stretch, though, since W'rkncacnters are usually interpreted as some sort of formless, chaotic power. However, if we accept the suggestion that W'rks are evil Jjaro, then it does become likely that they'd use some sort of vehicles. It's equally likely, though, that "chariot" should not be interpreted literally.

aS yoU fled fRom tHe noW arMed wEapon I haD plAced my marK apOn yoU...I theN had to reTurn to mY priSon In tHe inFerNo...

...Now I fiNd tHe JjarrO tOok fAvOr on you aS weLl. GranTinG yoU a nEw lIfe witHin a tWisted sHell oF fLesh & meTal...You liVe beyOnd yOur deAth as A mortal...For tHis yOu excHanged thE tReaSures yOu stOle fRom my cHariOt...

The inferno? The Jjaro in Pathways do say that the W'rk cannot be killed by human weapons, merely driven deeper into unconsciousness. Or perhaps Joshua is referring to the "more permanent measures" taken by the Jjaro a few years after Pathways ended. The bit about "my mark" is more than a little reminiscent of the story of Cain, although I don't recall anything in the Bible about Cain being granted eternal life or reincarnation.

In the Pathways Into Darkness hint book, there's an epilogue to the game, which can be read here. In it, the player's character sneaks away for a few days, after which none of the artifacts from the pyramid are ever seen again. Jason Jones calls it a convenience to clean up the storyline for integration into future games, but Ian offers a different explanation. RED's world is considerably more "mystical" than the straight science fiction of most Marathon content, so it's easy to imagine some sort of dark ritual being performed, possibly involving the last artifact found in the pyramid, which came from closest to the dreaming god itself and had a profound effect upon you until you sealed it in the Lead Box: The Alien Gemstone. The player being corrupted by relics of an evil entity is also central to the plot of the Diablo series. As a result of whatever happened during those days, the soul of Sgt. Eddings was never lost, and kept coming back as a more and more powerful killer, until in the 24th of 25th century he was integrated into a UESC Battleroid. There's still one piece of the puzzle missing, though. This will also explain why Joshua didn't seem to recognize us when he first spoke to us at the end of Nothing's too big to Nuke.

THAT is Why I cHose yoU. You aRe eVer grOwing, eVer livIng, aNd yoU arE saTurated wIth The blOod of aLl tHose yoU have sLauGhtered...

...OnlY yoU arE wOrtH beIng mY reAver as I scYthe dowN thiS uNiverse. YOu wIlL bE hEre aS I reShape thIs eXsiStence.

...YoU wIll gO and deStroy thE remainiNg huMans and then I wiLl sEnd yOu to Micheal...

We're quite a piece of work, aren't we? :)

Joshua intends to use you to remove the two biggest obstacles in his path by killing Ian and the human forces, and betraying Michael. We could probably have accomplished the first by now if we had really wanted to, but we were never strong enough to do any real damage to Michael; all your battles so far ended with your escape (if it is indeed possible to kill Michael in the game, as someone (Ernie?) mentioned on Heads or Tails, we could rationalize this as Micheal just getting bored and flying off ;) ). Joshua must have something up his sleeve for that. Your evolution is nearly complete; roll on Part 3 of RED...

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

RED Volunteers: 3Mark Levin 4/14/04 11:37 a.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: 3Forrest of B.org 4/14/04 12:00 p.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: 3rampancy 4/14/04 1:01 p.m.
           Re: RED Volunteers: 3Mark Levin 4/14/04 1:13 p.m.
                 Re: RED Volunteers: 3Crimson 4/14/04 3:12 p.m.
                       Re: RED Volunteers: 3Ernie 4/14/04 5:54 p.m.
                             Re: RED Volunteers: 3Steve Levinson 4/14/04 8:01 p.m.
                                   *style wars* :-) *NM*Mista_B 4/14/04 8:27 p.m.
                                   Re: RED Volunteers: 3Yossarian 4/14/04 8:40 p.m.
                                         Re: RED Volunteers: 3Forrest of B.org 4/15/04 11:48 a.m.
                                               Re: RED Volunteers: 3Yossarian 4/15/04 6:16 p.m.
                                                     Re: RED Volunteers: 3Forrest of B.org 4/15/04 9:26 p.m.
                             Re: RED Volunteers: 3Elliott 4/14/04 9:41 p.m.
                             Re: RED Volunteers: 3Forrest of B.org 4/15/04 11:40 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.