Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Also.
Posted By: Cody MillerDate: 5/29/09 2:27 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Also. (Gravemind)

: Ugh. Don't get me started on Halo 3's story. It was a disappointment. The
: first half was filler, and even the second half was fairly sparse on story
: details. Halo 1 & 2 were doing something almost every stage to advance
: the plot, while Halo 3 spends at most a third of itself advancing its
: plot. On top of that, there some stuff that doesn't make sense. I've been
: thinking of making a post airing out my grievances with Halo 3's story. I
: did a bit of griping in my Halo 3 review from last year, but it wasn't in
: much detail.

Man, this has been dog on Bungie week for me, so I'll try to add SOME positive things.

Halo had a story that was for all intents and purposes fairly simple, but very well told. As you say there aren't very many 'filler missions' (really just Two Betrayals and Keyes, but they weren't too bad in the scheme of things.) The pacing was perfect. The sense of adventure was perfect. The plot points were perfect. It was a shining example.

Halo 2 was a beautiful mess. Plenty of filler missions, yet we get a character, the Arbiter, who quite ironically has the most humanity of any character in the trilogy. It's actually fitting the game ends with him; for we really are shown the true protagonist in the Halo trilogy. He has internal struggle, in total conflict with his long held beliefs. The end to the trilogy would be a glorious redemption for this character and his story arc. While some people bemoaned the whole 'great journey' thing, little hints were dropped that led me to believe there was more to it than that, and that Truth's ultimate plan was yet to be revealed.

Halo 3 takes the most interesting character in the series and sidelines him. It offers zero consequences or dramatic reasons for Cortana's capture. The dynamics between the heros and villains is utterly flat and uninteresting. Truth really was just a blind zealot. Halo 2 said dig deeper and Halo 3 said my shovel's broken.

I wouldn't even say Halo 3 spent a third of the time advancing the plot. The situation doesn't change until Truth is killed and the Gravemind tries to infest the ark. The status Quo from Halo 2 remains until there are 2 levels left. Halo 3 needed something within the first 3 levels to shake it up. We already knew we were chasing truth to the ark where he was going to activate the rings, so no, going to the ark wasn't a change.

I thought maybe Cortana had been infected by the flood back in Halo 1 (Don't pick up hitchhikers, anybody?) and was manipulating both the covenant and the humans into something the whole time. I didn't know what, but that was my though. Didn't happen.

I thought maybe Truth knew all along what the rings really did, and was just tricking the covenant into using them, so he could wipe out the elites and end the War between their species. Well, that didn't happen either.

Humans are forerunner! Oh no, the one thing everybody already knew was the big shocker at the end of the game. I'm sure everybody's jaw was on the floor in disbelief. Yeah, right. Maybe reveal why the covenant want to kill us then? Don't? Oh okay.

A Halo 3 remake for the xbox 720 would rule.

Message Index

Replies:

Speaking of E3...FyreWulff 5/28/09 1:27 p.m.
     That video is still epicGilver 5/28/09 2:34 p.m.
           Re: That video is still epicThe BS Police 5/28/09 2:38 p.m.
                 Re: That video is still epicFyreWulff 5/28/09 3:24 p.m.
                       Re: That video is still epicThe BS Police 5/28/09 5:17 p.m.
                             Re: That video is still epicIbeechu 5/28/09 5:18 p.m.
                                   Re: That video is still epicThe BS Police 5/28/09 5:20 p.m.
                                         Re: That video is still epicIbeechu 5/28/09 5:21 p.m.
                                               Re: That video is still epicThe BS Police 5/28/09 5:27 p.m.
                                                     I'll look it up. *NM*Gravemind 5/28/09 5:49 p.m.
                                                           I'm watching the doc now. At the HBO lan part *NM*Ibeechu 5/28/09 5:55 p.m.
                                                                 K, here's a transcriptionIbeechu 5/28/09 6:12 p.m.
                                                                       Also.Gravemind 5/28/09 6:40 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Also.Ibeechu 5/28/09 7:29 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Also.The BS Police 5/28/09 7:34 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Also.Ibeechu 5/28/09 7:50 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Also.The BS Police 5/28/09 8:30 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Also.Ibeechu 5/28/09 9:19 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Also.The BS Police 5/28/09 9:28 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Also.Captain Spark 5/28/09 10:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Also.Gravemind 5/28/09 11:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Also.Free Weights 5/29/09 1:40 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Also.Cody Miller 5/29/09 2:27 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Also.Eiii 5/29/09 3:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Also.The BS Police 5/29/09 5:47 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Also.Free Weights 5/29/09 8:09 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Halo 1: Psychological Thriller?Ze Moose 5/30/09 3:27 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Also.Captain Spark 5/29/09 8:04 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Also.Free Weights 5/29/09 8:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Also.Free Weights 5/28/09 10:42 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Also.Ibeechu 5/28/09 11:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Tangent thoughts about the ArbiterLeviathan 5/28/09 11:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Tangent thoughts about the ArbiterFree Weights 5/29/09 1:43 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Also.FyreWulff 5/28/09 10:59 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Also.Psychophan7 5/29/09 1:48 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Also.LoneRanger 2.5 5/28/09 9:32 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Also.The BS Police 5/28/09 9:41 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Also.LoneRanger 2.5 5/28/09 9:45 p.m.
                                                                                                                 :(Hunt3r 5/28/09 10:43 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Also.Ze Moose 5/29/09 12:45 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Also.Bones153 5/28/09 8:15 p.m.
                                                                                   So it was technical issues? *NM*Gravemind 5/28/09 8:56 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Also.Miguel Chavez 5/28/09 11:52 p.m.
                       Re: That video is still epicStephen L. (SoundEffect) 5/28/09 5:30 p.m.
           Re: That video is still epicButtskunk 5/28/09 11:07 p.m.
     you missed a few!Mirel 5/28/09 2:54 p.m.
           Re: you missed a few!FyreWulff 5/28/09 3:45 p.m.
     Re: Speaking of E3...The More Deluded 5/28/09 3:56 p.m.
     Re: Speaking of E3...Omega 5/28/09 9:12 p.m.
           Re: Speaking of E3...LoneRanger 2.5 5/28/09 9:38 p.m.
     The Sword Scene Still Gets Me Off.Morpheus 5/28/09 10:38 p.m.
           Re: The Sword Scene Still Gets Me Off.Free Weights 5/29/09 1:33 a.m.
     GIVE IT UP ALREADYJillybean 5/29/09 7:22 a.m.
           Re: GIVE IT UP ALREADYCody Miller 5/29/09 12:41 p.m.
                 Re: GIVE IT UP ALREADYGeneral Vagueness 5/29/09 2:14 p.m.
     Re: Speaking of E3... (UPDATED VIDEO)FyreWulff 5/29/09 3:21 p.m.
           Re: Speaking of E3... (UPDATED VIDEO)Louis Wu 5/29/09 3:25 p.m.
           Re: Speaking of E3... (UPDATED VIDEO)Psychophan7 5/31/09 2:29 a.m.
     Some comments.Gravemind 5/30/09 3:59 a.m.
           Re: Some comments.FyreWulff 5/30/09 11:46 a.m.
                 Re: Some comments.Gravemind 5/30/09 3:25 p.m.
                       Re: Some comments.Ze Moose 5/30/09 3:46 p.m.
                             Re: Some comments.Gravemind 5/30/09 5:38 p.m.
           The desperation was subtle, but thereJordan117 5/31/09 12:41 a.m.
                 Re: The desperation was subtle, but thereZe Moose 5/31/09 12:59 a.m.
                       Just thought of one more...Jordan117 5/31/09 1:26 a.m.
                             Woah. Hadn't noticed that before. *NM*Ze Moose 5/31/09 1:46 a.m.
                 Re: The desperation was subtle, but thereGravemind 5/31/09 1:44 a.m.
                       Re: The desperation was subtle, but thereLoneRanger 2.5 5/31/09 4:03 a.m.
                             Re: The desperation was subtle, but thereGravemind 5/31/09 6:26 a.m.
                                   Re: The desperation was subtle, but therePsychophan7 5/31/09 8:52 a.m.
                                         I blame Shiska! *NM*scarab 5/31/09 10:46 a.m.
                                         Re: The desperation was subtle, but thereGravemind 5/31/09 2:37 p.m.
                                               Re: The desperation was subtle, but thereLoneRanger 2.5 5/31/09 9:48 p.m.
                                                     Good point, the Terminals were brilliant *NM*Ze Moose 5/31/09 11:37 p.m.
                 Re: The desperation was subtle, but thereGeneral Vagueness 5/31/09 11:01 a.m.
     Question ....serpx 5/30/09 4:36 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.