Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: solid energy physics
Posted By: Wado SG <wyamauchi@msn.com>Date: 9/18/06 2:42 p.m.

In Response To: Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted? (Gryphonosiris)

: This what brought up a while back that the UNSC could use a large
: electromagnet to repell covie plasma bolts, in effect making an invisible
: shield for Marines and other personel. I was thinking about this over the
: weekend when I was setting up some speakers for a DJ gig I do on the side.
: As most audio freaks know if low frequency sound isn't in sync it sounds
: like an earth mover is driving by. This made me think about the magnetic
: packets that the Covie plasma is sent into. If a very low or very high
: frequency electro magnetic pulse was directed towards the covies would it
: cause the plasma packets to lose cohesion and disperse? It's along the
: same lines as making a glass shatter by harmonic resonance, however it
: could in theory render 80% of Covenant weapons useless. (the other 20%
: being the needler, brute shot, Carbine, and Fuel Rod gun as they fire a
: solid projectile).

: Ideas?

: Honor and Valor
: Gryphon

Well what I like about your idea is that it actually takes into account the containment field used to deliver the payload (plasma). The first key to any sucessful weapon is in the delivery system. If you can neutralize the delivery system, you can often neutralize the weapon.

To even get a weapon like a plasma bolt to work, a new kind of physics needs to be invented. We already know the Covenant have shields, an extension of that technology is something I could call solid energy physics. Basically it moves to a fifth state of matter called "stasis". A state in which energy takes on the properties of solid mass.

Imagine actually being able to control time in an area so that it moves at a slower rate within a containment field. Ordinarily when something is frozen, it loses energy until it becomes solid. The idea of stasis is that no energy is lost only that time is slowed way down.

For simplicity let's call this time containment field a "time bubble". If I pulled the pin on a grenade and put it in a time bubble just as it exploded. The grenade would still be exploding but at a very slow rate relative to those outside the time bubble. Maybe it would take millions of years for the explosion to be observed.

As soon as this time bubble is disrupted, the grenade would explode in real time. If I could move this time bubble across distances, I would have a delivery system for a weapon, an awesome weapon.

Anyway, for Covenant plasma weapons to work the way they are described, I figure that the containment field, although magnetic in nature, might actually be manipulating time. I don't believe any normal strength magnetic field could disrupt this thus using conventional magnetics to disrupt the plasma bolts would be mostly ineffective.

Just some thoughts.

Message Index

Replies:

Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted?Gryphonosiris 9/18/06 12:58 p.m.
     Re: Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted?Frankie 9/18/06 1:06 p.m.
           It really is spiders, isn't it? Blue spiders! *NM*Recon#54 9/18/06 1:18 p.m.
           Re: Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted?Document 9/18/06 1:24 p.m.
           Well, that just takes the fun out of it Frankie... *NM*Gryphonosiris 9/18/06 1:34 p.m.
           ORLY?Peptuck 9/18/06 1:47 p.m.
           Re: Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted?ShortRoundMcfly 9/18/06 4:02 p.m.
           Re: Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted?Omega 9/18/06 5:10 p.m.
                 Re: Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted?UrsusArctos 9/18/06 11:26 p.m.
           Re: Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted?jdogmoney 9/18/06 5:49 p.m.
                 Re: Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted?Kiloh Ekim 9/18/06 8:44 p.m.
                       Re: Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted?jdogmoney 9/18/06 11:50 p.m.
           Re: Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted?UrsusArctos 9/18/06 11:19 p.m.
           Re: Could Covenant Plasma weapons be disrupted?Darth Troocuda 9/24/06 3:51 p.m.
     Re: solid energy physicsWado SG 9/18/06 2:42 p.m.
           *Brain explodes*Gryphonosiris 9/18/06 2:52 p.m.
                 Re: *Brain explodes*Wado SG 9/18/06 3:20 p.m.
                       Fevered speculationyakaman 9/18/06 5:29 p.m.
                             Re: Fevered speculationWado SG 9/18/06 5:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Fevered speculationWado SG 9/18/06 5:52 p.m.
                             I KNEW we'd get around to killing cats eventually. *NM*Louis Wu 9/18/06 7:09 p.m.
                                   The only Shroedinger's Cat explanation I ever got:jdogmoney 9/18/06 7:33 p.m.
                                         ^^ Funniest thing I ever read. *NM*Vlad3163 9/18/06 7:47 p.m.
                                               Wait, that was the wrong one...jdogmoney 9/18/06 7:52 p.m.
                                   FTW Travel?Wado SG 9/18/06 8:38 p.m.
                                         Re: FTW Travel?Document 9/19/06 6:35 p.m.
                                   Re: I KNEW we'd get around to killing cats eventuaStuntmutt 9/19/06 3:43 a.m.
                                         Re: I KNEW we'd get around to killing cats eventuaNarcogen 9/19/06 3:53 a.m.
                                               Discount card?Louis Wu 9/19/06 8:33 a.m.
                                                     Re: Discount card?Raging Aura 9/24/06 11:16 p.m.
                             Re: Fevered speculationDocument 9/19/06 11:15 a.m.
                                   Re: Fevered speculationBlack Guard 9/24/06 11:27 p.m.
           Re: solid energy physicsHikaru-119 9/18/06 3:19 p.m.
                 Re: solid energy physicsWado SG 9/18/06 3:26 p.m.
     particle acceleratorsWado SG 9/18/06 4:29 p.m.
           Re: particle acceleratorsjdogmoney 9/18/06 6:19 p.m.
                 Re: particle acceleratorsWado SG 9/18/06 6:50 p.m.
                       Antimatter *NM*Raging Aura 9/24/06 11:13 p.m.
                             Re: AntimatterSlith 9/25/06 3:16 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.