| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

The Arithmetic Pattern...and Dial #3??

Posted By: Mav <web_tester226@yahoo.com>
Date: 5 June 2001, 23:18

Hmm. Well, I looked at Dial #3 awhile, and here's another "solution" to puzzle over.

Let's assume for the moment that "ESE" in Dial #3 stands for "east-south-east" (don't know if I express that right) as some other people have suggested on the forum. ESE would appear to be exactly 22.5 degrees.

Once again, tinkering with some of the existing numbers within Dial #3 comes up with this.

[(20-6) + (14-13)] x [33/22] = (14+1) x (3/2) = 15 x 1.5 = 22.5!

(That might not be the only solution, but it's the simplest, I think, and the only one I've found so far.)

-------

Wow. That makes four symbols so far that, if properly decoded as has been theorized, can be generated using numbers surrounding it in that dial! That's odd! Of course, I still don't know what to make of it all, but it's certainly _very_ interesting to me.

Here's a summation of my "work" (I know, I know, "oooooooh, the guy just did four-function math on the numbers some of the dials, wowww, big deal!" ; P) thus far:

1) I've been able to get the 8 numbers surrounding the central number/letter/symbol puzzle or whatever to equal the theorized solution in Dials #2, 3, 4, and 7. I assumed the center dial puzzle/whatever in... Dial #2 was "45 5/7;" Dial #3 was "22.5 or 22 1/2;" Dial #4 was "137;" and Dial #7 was "74." (well, we seem pretty settled on the 74 thing -- thanks again to the people who figured it out and made my amateur, probably way-off and sad puzzle-solving easier!)

2) In Dial #2, I used 5 numbers -- 67, 13, 48, 25 and 70 -- to get a matching number. I didn't use 3 numbers -- 3, 11 and 38. There's a bit of symmetry here, as far as 13 and 67, and 48 and 25, go.

3) In Dial #3, I used 6 numbers -- 20, 6, 14, 13, 33 and 22 -- to get a matching number. I didn't use 2 numbers -- 0 and 71. There's an intriguing "symmetry" if you look at the used/unused numbers.

4) In Dial #4, I used 6 numbers -- 50, 7, 13, 8, 22, and 37 -- to get a matching number. I didn't use 2 numbers -- 26 and 113. No apparent symmetry here.

5) In Dial #7, I used 4 numbers -- 36, 24, 3 and 11 -- to get a matching number. I didn't use the other 4 numbers -- 18, 19, 83 and 97.. Curiously, 4 numbers are all factors of 3, and the other 4 numbers are all prime numbers, I believe. The symmetry of the factors of 3/primes is also interesting. There's also a reflective symmetry of sorts, again, amongst the set of used numbers, as well as the unused numbers. (3 lines of symmetry!)

There also seems to be a prime number that I don't use for each of the 4 dials.

What's it all mean? Not a clue : ). But hey...any input/discussion would be great!

(Whew!...oh and if it looks like I said something wrong, please let me know! There might be a few mistakes in here somewhere! ; ) )

--Mav

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Bungie Fanfest Board is maintained by with WebBBS 3.21.