| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Okay, this might do it!

Posted By: Locucious <locucious@mail.com>
Date: 6 June 2001, 13:44

In Response To: Re: How do we get a message? (Previn)

> I'm currently turning the numbers into letters using a looping numbering
> system. Nothing so far, but I have at least 54 runs each time, so I'm only
> on the 4th on so far. Most of them end up pure consents, one or two
> repeating numbers. I would hate to think that this needs a document (look
> up words by number) to solve it, which I think someone already mentioned
> it. My big question is about the zeros. Would they start the letter chain,
> or are they used as periods or commas?

I was always skeptical of the looping number system, but the numbers of words in a document idea is brilliant! I read a story in an old cryptography book that a guy needed three (!) documents sent in utter secrecy. So, he came up with three impressive codes and encoded each letter separately. He sent those to the destination, and said that he would send information on how to decode them later. The solutions, however, became a victim of the postal service, and the guy died before he heard about it. We've managed to decode one of the letters, but the other two have proven unsolvable for over a century now.
The one that WAS solved was a big string of numbers. We found out that the numbers corresponded to words in the Declaration of Independence. So, if you substituted the appropriate words for numbers, the message was revealed. This sounds extremely likely in the case of our glyphs.
But what document could be used? It's probably something relatively sho....

(cuts off mid-sentence to think heavily)

Okay, cut the music. I think I've got it. "Deeply rooted in Marathon?" You can't get much more deeply rooted than the terminals. The symbol in the center of each glyph tells us what level and terminal to focus on. The numbers around the outside point out individual words in the terminal. Patch the words together, and we get a message.

Yes yes! That could definately work! Now, give me a while to think and I'll see if I can relate the symbols to levels, and complete the idea....

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Bungie Fanfest Board is maintained by with WebBBS 3.21.