/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation Movie
Posted By: AntarcticoDate: 8/19/13 12:37 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation Movie (treellama)

: There is an activation delay, but it was my impression that the issue was
: faster targeting/firing once active, not faster activation itself. Am I at
: least correct that we have confirmed glue/super glue is working correctly
: in this case in beta 3?

I think I said this poorly. What seems to be happening is the Enforcers get off their first shot after the trap is sprung more quickly than in the original game enabling them to tag you in the back as you run back toward the first closet. Wondering about a difference in an activation delay was just me thinking out loud.

: I don't see a way these limits will improve the reaction time of monsters.
: But, you can try backing them down to see if the behavior improves or
: doesn't. Or, remove monsters that aren't part of the trap in Pfhorte, and
: see if the behavior converges between Marathon and the beta.

I don't think the higher Aleph One limits reduced by Hopper's Classic Limit plugin improve the reaction time of the monsters, but the higher Aleph One limits do prevent the trap from bumping up against the active monster limits (I think this value is the monsters value="220"). If Hopper's plugin is enabled, and the first closet has not been cleared out in advance by the player keying open the secret door, when the full trap springs, there is not much headroom left for any activating monsters in the throne room, and if the throne room monsters try to activate, some of the newly activated monsters can get slow, sleepy, forgetful, and just plain stupid. These behaviors are very similar to what can happen in my play testing of the level in the original game.

: If testing is an issue, remember you can move the player start point in
: Pfhorte closer to the trap, and give him some weapons/health/ammo. I
: haven't tested this one at all yet, because I don't hold high hopes of
: fixing AI behavior even if we can narrow it down. And because of the mouse
: issues you're familiar with IN ADDITION to my total lack of skill at
: Marathon. But if it's something as simple as an activation limit, maybe
: it's worth a try.

I think the engine limits theory could use some testing by someone besides just me. I could always just be doing something uniquely bizarre in my testing.

Regarding the mouse issues in the original game, my partial workaround was to assign my Look Ahead key to the space bar and to just keep my thumb planted on it to avoid the look down bug. I also had a macro on my multi-button mouse that did the same thing, along with one to fire my weapon's second trigger. The crappy feel of the original mouse, well there is not much that can be done about that outside of whatever mouse driver you are using. :)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/19/13 1:21 a.m.
     Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/19/13 7:28 a.m.
           Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/19/13 10:56 a.m.
                 Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation Movietreellama 8/19/13 11:39 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/19/13 11:53 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/19/13 12:37 p.m.
                 Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/19/13 11:56 a.m.
                 Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieFiddlerOnARoof 8/21/13 8:56 p.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 3:49 a.m.
                             Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/22/13 5:15 a.m.
                                   Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 5:28 a.m.
                                         Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/22/13 5:53 a.m.
                                               Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 6:11 a.m.
                                                     Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/22/13 6:19 a.m.
                                         Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/22/13 6:49 a.m.
                                               Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 8:39 a.m.
                                                     Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/22/13 9:11 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/22/13 6:41 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.