Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Respect for all here.............
Posted By: Shanghai <hedgemony343@hotmail.com>Date: 11/9/02 3:07 p.m.

In Response To: Respect for all here............. (skavenger_s7)

: Hedge, what navy was your father in? (country) And, do you remember the name
: of his boat. It is a small world of submariners and even smaller in the
: late 80's.

: SK-out

Hedge is out for the moment. Not out shopping or working, but I mean out cold. We had an exhibition for a client last night and he got mad drunk. Drinking isn't one of his strong points so he'll probably be braindead for the day.

His father served in the Australian Navy during the early60's and was injured during nam. This is what his dad told him, that he was working in an engine room of a sub and he was somehow injured there. His dad wasn't in the navy during the eighties. From what he found out later, his dad went a little crazy with all the drinking and drugs that probably 90% of his tales about his navy days are delusions of a man who had no concept of reality. His father tried to shoot himself in the arm to get out of the navy and then tried to get a pension so that he could live out his time on land.

The navy refused to pay him a pension and his dad moved to another state after Hedge's mother took him and his sister as far as she could from their dad. It took his dad years to track them down. By the time Hedge was at university, his father was even worse from the mixture of painkillers, alcohol and other drugs.

Hedge never really looked into his dad's history because he told me that it was too painful. He got to a point where he decided to concentrate on his own life and not to live in the past. He didn't want to feel as though he was from damaged stock, and that would shape who he was to become.

The navy in Australia wasn't too forthcoming with information either, especially towards a man who tried to kill his son and dupe the navy for money. I think it was more important for Hedge to move on and not live in the past. By going deeper into his fathers blatant lies, sent him a message to not believe his own upbringing or at least help him deal with it all. He has dealt with it, moved on and put this behind him.

It's funny how when you are young you think that you are indestructible, you think that family will always be there and that you are safe. Violence is something that happens to that guy on the news, or in the newspaper. Couldn't possibly happen to you right?

Happened to Hedge when he got his life in order and he was happy. But he overcame it and that's due to being able to see a way out. He had some dark days, but the need to have something to look forward to was stronger than the momentary need to check out. He said to me when we talked in the hospital after I hit him with my car, that he needed something to tell him to stop. Nothing stops you like a car smacking you off your bike.

We laugh about it now but we know how serious all of it was. Let's just say that this is all that should be said about this and move on.

Halo is more important than a twenty year old story, one that maybe I shouldn't have dredged up to begin with. But it is important to love what you love, and don't be shaped by any negative force out there. You cannot protect yourself against a bullet, but you can mentally know what is right or wrong and stay true to your beliefs.

Gah, listen to me. Maybe I drank too much as well:)

-Shanghai

Message Index

Replies:

Perspective: a read for allFinn 11/8/02 3:38 p.m.
     Re: Perspective: a read for allThe Cosmic Muffet 11/8/02 4:02 p.m.
           Re: Perspective: a read for allShanghai 11/8/02 4:29 p.m.
                 Re: Perspective: a read for allRoss Mills 11/8/02 4:39 p.m.
                       Re: Perspective: a read for allHedgemony 11/8/02 5:37 p.m.
                             Re: Perspective: a read for allFinn 11/8/02 6:28 p.m.
                                   Re: Totally agree, still riding:) *NM*Hedgemony 11/8/02 6:32 p.m.
                                   Re: Perspective: a read for allHipboyscott 11/8/02 7:01 p.m.
                             Re: Perspective: a read for all*Ar-Isildur of *WP* 11/8/02 7:35 p.m.
                             Respect for all here.............skavenger_s7 11/9/02 9:27 a.m.
                                   Re: Respect for all here.............Shanghai 11/9/02 3:07 p.m.
                             Re: Perspective: a read for allRed Loser 11/9/02 3:21 p.m.
     Re: Perspective: a read for allWado SG 11/8/02 4:43 p.m.
           Re: Perspective: a read for allStarWarsFanMan 11/8/02 5:36 p.m.
           Re: Perspective: a read for allvector40 11/8/02 11:45 p.m.
                 Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.Red Loser 11/9/02 3:39 p.m.
     Beautiful post, thanks Finn *NM*Miguel Chavez 11/8/02 11:19 p.m.
           Re: Beautiful post, ... Jeezepoena.dare #CP# 11/9/02 12:30 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.