Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi Po
Posted By: Quirel <I_am_quirel@hotmail.com>Date: 1/18/12 3:18 p.m.

In Response To: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi Pool (Dani)

I would /almost/ like to play a game like that.
The points I disagreed with are where I find the 'Grittification' to be excessive. While the damage and gore in Halo are deliberately understated, and plasma weapons should be leaving some impressive burns, I can live without it being upped to realistic levels.

I'm not sure where my distaste for the gore and 'grittiness' comes from, but I'm proud to say that it's not a knee-jerk reaction to a CoD-ification of Halo. The only CoD games I've played was #3 (which I enjoyed) and World at War (On the Wii. The less said about that, the better!) so I do not have sufficient experience with their aesthetic to make an informed judgement.

I believe that it is because I have been on the Halo Waypoint forums for a few weeks, where a common belief is that 'colorful' is childish, 'gritty' is mature. The argument is fallacious, at best.

I believe that we can have a game from the trooper's point of view that is as colorful as the original trilogy. The difference between the Spartans and the Marines/Army Troopers is vulnerability, something that isn't communicated by restricting the color palette to drab browns. Rather, it is something that has to be expressed via gameplay.

Here is the golden example of vulnerability in Halo: Lone Wolf. The utter lack of living comrades to aid you, the lack of a voice in the radio to tell you where you have to go next, the way your visor starts breaking down when you take enough damage. That was powerful.

The mechanics that Postmortem suggested, however, would probably work. If a squad wasn't something you mowed down between checkpoints, but a protracted battle that challenged you, that would be a great way of showing how much less powerful you are compared to the Spartans. If Hunters weren't just pairs of bosses wearing mook clothing, but bosses in and of themselves, that would be awesome.

Also, I rather like the helmet idea.

Message Index

Replies:

BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi PoolDani 1/18/12 9:05 a.m.
     Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi PoGeneral Battuta 1/18/12 10:56 a.m.
           Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi PoBeckx 1/18/12 11:30 a.m.
           CoD might have been a poor example.uberfoop 1/18/12 11:40 a.m.
                 Re: CoD might have been a poor example.Beckx 1/18/12 11:45 a.m.
                       Re: CoD might have been a poor example.uberfoop 1/18/12 11:56 a.m.
                             Re: CoD might have been a poor example.Beckx 1/18/12 11:59 a.m.
                       Re: CoD might have been a poor example.Bry 1/18/12 2:06 p.m.
                             Re: CoD might have been a poor example.davidfuchs 1/18/12 2:27 p.m.
                             Re: CoD might have been a poor example.General Battuta 1/18/12 2:48 p.m.
     Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi Podavidfuchs 1/18/12 12:46 p.m.
     Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi PoQuirel 1/18/12 3:18 p.m.
     Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi Poscarab 1/18/12 6:13 p.m.
           Body hoppingscarab 1/18/12 6:18 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.