Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi Po
Posted By: General BattutaDate: 1/18/12 10:56 a.m.

In Response To: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi Pool (Dani)

This was an interesting read, and it touched on some very complex points. I think in particular I was torn on the following:

"This game would also give 343 the opportunity to really show off its talent when it comes to graphics. While many disagree with Call of Duty’s approach to building games, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would say with a sincere face that the game's set-pieces aren't stunning. The opening level from Modern Warfare 2 is what immediately comes to mind.

Although it’s a tutorial for the game’s basic controls, there is activity all around you. Troops relax by playing a game of basketball, men argue about water consumption, and mechanics work on vehicles. There is no point to this level of detail, other than to get the player more immersed in the world they have created, to breath life into it and make it real. Halo has immersion nailed, but I for one would love to see the series delve into a higher level of detail than it ever has before, rivaling, if not surpassing those games which are known for their extreme thoroughness."

I think the author needs to dissect his assumptions here. I'm not sure they're internally consistent. Beyond the obvious nitpicks - he opens with 'graphics' but then goes on to discuss scripting and level design, which are technologically related but not the same thing at all - I think there's a real philosophical dispute here.

Is Modern Warfare 2's opening immersive? Is it detailed? Most importantly, is it immersive or detailed in a way that's useful to Halo? The MW2 opening presents a lovingly detailed, intricate, completely nonreactive diorama. It's a dead tableau that the player cannot interact with, a showcase of the game's entire philosophy: 'look at this amazing work! Look at it! Now move through it, but don't touch, don't play.'

Halo, by contrast, takes a different approach, closer to Crysis or ARMA (though obviously not as extreme as the latter): 'Here's a little puddle-sized sandbox. Some AI are patrolling and we left you some guns and a Warthog. Get from A to B however you like! What's going to happen? Will that Elite blow himself up? Will that Grunt heroically stuck you?'

There's a huge gap in design philosophies there: tightly wound clockwork sheen versus messier, looser semi-reactive sandbox.

Message Index

Replies:

BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi PoolDani 1/18/12 9:05 a.m.
     Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi PoGeneral Battuta 1/18/12 10:56 a.m.
           Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi PoBeckx 1/18/12 11:30 a.m.
           CoD might have been a poor example.uberfoop 1/18/12 11:40 a.m.
                 Re: CoD might have been a poor example.Beckx 1/18/12 11:45 a.m.
                       Re: CoD might have been a poor example.uberfoop 1/18/12 11:56 a.m.
                             Re: CoD might have been a poor example.Beckx 1/18/12 11:59 a.m.
                       Re: CoD might have been a poor example.Bry 1/18/12 2:06 p.m.
                             Re: CoD might have been a poor example.davidfuchs 1/18/12 2:27 p.m.
                             Re: CoD might have been a poor example.General Battuta 1/18/12 2:48 p.m.
     Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi Podavidfuchs 1/18/12 12:46 p.m.
     Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi PoQuirel 1/18/12 3:18 p.m.
     Re: BTF#7 The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi Poscarab 1/18/12 6:13 p.m.
           Body hoppingscarab 1/18/12 6:18 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.