Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Regarding voting: X for Game type Y for map method
Posted By: Revenant1988 <dga1988@yahoo.com>Date: 1/9/12 10:14 a.m.

In Response To: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *IMG* (ncsuDuncan)

:

: Quitting Halo - A few ideas on how to keep players in the game.

: FYI, this is NOT a Destiny-related update.

: Let me know what you think!

I won't discuss my thoughts on booting and credits, just know that my opinions are in line with those above. I also would NEVER word the options as PUNISH PLAYER X, these kids don't need a complex.

Some interesting thoughts, to be sure.

I do think that Halo as a whole keeps getting better in terms of how voting goes for MM, but a balance needs to happen when giving players choices and the amount of choices they get. I can't tell you the number of times I've gone into MM and the voting round looks something like this:

ROUND 1
Powerhouse - King of the hill
Zealot - Slayer Pro
Count down - Head hunter
None of the above (for sake of argument this is what wins in this example)

ROUND 2
Sword Base - Elite Slayer
Sword Base - Slayer Pro
Sword Base - Crazy King

I prefer variety in my choices. Yes, it IS nice to see multiple games options out on a single map to choose from, but I don't think it should work that way. Conversely, if the options are too diverse or random sometimes that makes them just as unappealing, like :

Powerhouse - Slayer pro
Countdown - Team Headhunter
Zealot - Crazy king

In this situation, I might have a map or game I like but not both.

Lets get one thing straight, you can't make everyone happy, and if a player wants to quit because they don't like the gametype or map, they will, regardless of what you do. But why not try to meet them half way? Compromise?

I personally think a better method is the X for Game type Y for map method, or even better, just two rounds, one for game type the other for map. I would say that its probably better to ask what gametype first, then map, but it could go either way really. It would work something like this:

"Here are your map options, vote the map you want to play"

Powerhouse
Countdown
Zealot
Cage

Then it asks for the game type

"Players voted for countdown, select game type"

Slayer
Crazy King
Head hunter
Slayer Pro

This way you still retain only 2 voting rounds (which to me is fine, I don't want TOO many rounds to vote, I want to play!) but the options are way more open than they were before. I would much prefer something like this the majority of the time, but the nice or bad thing about MM (depending on how you look at it) is that MM is not a menu, but people treat it like it is. A real menu, gives you all the options and combinations. For MM, that could get unwieldy with new maps, and infinite game options. Thus, MM is not a Menu, its a selection of the most common or popular options, and that's what it should be, but it would be nice if like a restaurant the selection rotated every now and then.

Lastly,

As someone else pointed out, I would like a better system in place for ties than the current "whatever is on top wins" scenario. I'm sure this was probably looked at in Reach's development but maybe a solution or algorithm was not feasible at the time.

Message Index

Replies:

New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *IMG*ncsuDuncan 1/9/12 12:01 a.m.
     Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *CyberKN 1/9/12 1:07 a.m.
           Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *General Vagueness 1/9/12 10:04 a.m.
     great articlekidtsunami 1/9/12 1:24 a.m.
     WAAAY overboardRC Master 1/9/12 5:12 a.m.
     Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *pete_the_duck 1/9/12 6:54 a.m.
           Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/9/12 8:41 a.m.
                 Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *General Vagueness 1/9/12 10:08 a.m.
                       Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *Revenant1988 1/9/12 10:19 a.m.
                             Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *General Vagueness 1/9/12 1:12 p.m.
                 Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *pete_the_duck 1/9/12 12:40 p.m.
                       Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/9/12 1:16 p.m.
                             Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *General Vagueness 1/9/12 1:45 p.m.
                                   Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/9/12 2:38 p.m.
           Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *ncsuDuncan 1/9/12 9:59 a.m.
                 Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *pete_the_duck 1/9/12 12:36 p.m.
                       Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *ncsuDuncan 1/9/12 1:20 p.m.
     Regarding voting: X for Game type Y for map methodRevenant1988 1/9/12 10:14 a.m.
           I forgot one thing:Think of ArenaRevenant1988 1/9/12 10:28 a.m.
                 Re: I forgot one thing:Think of ArenaGeneral Vagueness 1/9/12 1:15 p.m.
           Re: Regarding voting: X for Game type Y for map mencsuDuncan 1/9/12 10:33 a.m.
                 Re: Regarding voting: X for Game type Y for map meRevenant1988 1/9/12 10:48 a.m.
                 Re: Regarding voting: X for Game type Y for map meGeneral Vagueness 1/9/12 1:20 p.m.
           Re: Regarding voting: X for Game type Y for map meRC Master 1/9/12 1:20 p.m.
                 Re: Regarding voting: X for Game type Y for map meRevenant1988 1/9/12 4:43 p.m.
                       Re: Regarding voting: X for Game type Y for map meGeneral Vagueness 1/9/12 5:31 p.m.
     Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *Unique Name 1/9/12 11:33 a.m.
     Article UpdatedncsuDuncan 1/9/12 11:46 a.m.
           Re: Article Updated *VIDs*munky-058 1/9/12 2:07 p.m.
                 Re: Article Updated *VIDs*Revenant1988 1/9/12 4:53 p.m.
     My thoughts.Jennos 1/9/12 7:25 p.m.
     Re: New post at Misriah Solutions: Quitting Halo *Azo 'Galvat 1/9/12 9:55 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.